News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cal! I need your help!

Started by merithyn, October 02, 2014, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Their beliefs are kooky, but not more so than any Christians IMO.  They get more flak cause they are unorthodox and a 'new' religious movement.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 04, 2014, 11:00:50 PM
Their beliefs are kooky, but not more so than any Christians IMO.  They get more flak cause they are unorthodox and a 'new' religious movement.

Their beliefs are pretty explicitely racist and sexist.  If they were simply kooky that would be one thing.

I mean I am not going to hold it against them too much, lots of people have shit beliefs.  But don't say I am giving them shit for being new and unorthodox.  That is freaking stupid why would I care about orthodoxy or newness?  Besides by now they are almost 200 years old that is hardly new.  Plenty of new and unorthodox religions do not have those qualities so do not get flak from me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

dude relax... And that's why I put new in quotes.  :blurgh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2014, 12:42:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2014, 07:37:46 PM
Is ancestry.com worth the cost*? I've always though the idea interesting / with various free online resources didn't get back past early 20th century (parents of my great great grandfather who was in Stanford's opening class).

*and if so, what level/sort of subscription?

You never struck me as the kind of person who would knowingly give money to the Church of Latter Day Saints. 

Sheesh. Forgive me for asking a question. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Their beliefs are kooky, but not more so than any Christians IMO. 

No, definitely more so.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2014, 11:03:56 PM

Their beliefs are pretty explicitely racist and sexist.  If they were simply kooky that would be one thing.

I mean I am not going to hold it against them too much, lots of people have shit beliefs.  But don't say I am giving them shit for being new and unorthodox.  That is freaking stupid why would I care about orthodoxy or newness?  Besides by now they are almost 200 years old that is hardly new.  Plenty of new and unorthodox religions do not have those qualities so do not get flak from me.

One of my criminal justice professors back in community college told some long, drawn-out story of his days with the Los Angeles County sheriff's department that concluded with his belief (from one of his investigations) that the Mormon church was behind the smuggling of narcotics into the U.S. using the body bags of Vietnam KIAs, and that his investigation was suppressed.  :P

He also seemed to believe that pretty much all cops were corrupt (I guess he thought his teaching criminal justice at a CC could be the change to fix all that), and that people who join the military cannot function in real society.  :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 05, 2014, 05:10:42 PM
One of my criminal justice professors back in community college told some long, drawn-out story of his days with the Los Angeles County sheriff's department that concluded with his belief (from one of his investigations) that the Mormon church was behind the smuggling of narcotics into the U.S. using the body bags of Vietnam KIAs, and that his investigation was suppressed.  :P

Those investigations are always suppressed.  :mad:

QuoteHe also seemed to believe that pretty much all cops were corrupt (I guess he thought his teaching criminal justice at a CC could be the change to fix all that), and that people who join the military cannot function in real society.  :)

I would find it difficult to disagree on both counts.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2014, 05:18:29 PM

QuoteHe also seemed to believe that pretty much all cops were corrupt (I guess he thought his teaching criminal justice at a CC could be the change to fix all that), and that people who join the military cannot function in real society.  :)

I would find it difficult to disagree on both counts.

:ultra:

CountDeMoney

Mission-specific and task-oriented, yes.  Ability to think for oneself and question authority, not so much.   But that's why employers love you so much, they give you preference.  :hug:

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 05, 2014, 05:23:11 PM
Mission-specific and task-oriented, yes.  Ability to think for oneself and question authority, not so much.   But that's why employers love you so much, they give you preference.  :hug:

I rage against The Man all of the time.  :)

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2014, 12:42:47 PM
You never struck me as the kind of person who would knowingly give money to the Church of Latter Day Saints. 

FamilySearch.org is the one that's put together by the LDS Church. :contract:
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

They're all nuttier than squirrel shit.

garbon

Salt Lake City has a surprisingly decent variety of gay bars.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Oh, I just bet the LDS are all about the cock.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.