News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shadow of Mordor

Started by Norgy, October 01, 2014, 01:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Well, I bought it, and have played a few hours. For someone not used to console games, even the PC version is making me dizzy, but the gameplay is okay, if feeling a bit unrewarding when you can't save during your missions and start back at, well, the starting point of the game each time you die (but don't because you are banished from death, actually, which is really fortunate with this being a computer game and all).

Graphically, it's really good-looking. Once you get the hang of the controls, it's easy to like. 

But it's really just another action RPG. The "nemesis system" is a bit cool, with you picking which of Sauron's captains you want to slay. It reminds me a bit about Red Dead Redemption, with small challenges to complete for a bonus along the road.

katmai

Yeah picked it up yesterday as well. Only had chance to play very little last night though.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Started playing Shadow of Mordor. Surprising fun; the combat is in the Batman Arkham style which works rather nicely against hordes of orks. It's much more focused on combat, though. There's lots of baddies on the map, and they seem to respawn fairly quickly (well, this is Mordor, after all).

Besides the combat there's "collect'em all" challenges, powers and skills to learn and a simple upgrade rune system.

The big thing that sets Shadows of Mordor apart is the "Army of Sauron" feature. If an ork defeats you in combat, he'll be made a captain and can gain promotions on further defeats. Later in the game (so I read), you can gain control of them and pitting them in power struggles against each other. It seems partially procedurally generated, which should add to the replay value. There's three or four tiers of captains. When you die (or choose to let time progress), there'll be some random changes to the hierarchy of Sauron's army, so a grunt who got you with a lucky stab, could rise to become a chief lieutenant.

The fun thing is if you meet a captain repeatedly in combat (often they will attempt to flee if they're badly hurt), he'll comment on previous encounters. At the same time it's rather satisfying to kill a dude who managed to escape a few time.

If you like orks and the Batman Arkham combat, then this might be a game for you, though I forsee that it might become a bit repetitive, and hope this gets shaken up with the extra skills you get later in game. However, there's little else than combat.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Octavian

Quote from: Norgy on October 01, 2014, 01:51:54 PM
It reminds me a bit about Red Dead Redemption, with small challenges to complete for a bonus along the road.

From wikipedia:

"The game was written by Christian Cantamessa, who was also a lead-writer and lead-designer on Rockstar San Diego's Red Dead Redemption"
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Syt

I hope more open world games will have something like the Nemesis system from here on out. It makes things so much more immersive and personal. Easily one of the coolest, most awesome actually new gameplay mechanics in a while.

Imagine cops or gangsters in GTA or generic baddies in Skyrim would get a name and face when they beat you, and will continue to cross your path semi-randomly, getting stronger in the process to the point where facing them becomes an epic battle. Or you could be there to thwart their attempts to rise in the hierarchy ... or turning them into pawns.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Okay, Youse guys whose alreadys has the game I gots a question.  Do you need a controller or can it be played with a mouse and keyboard?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

I'm playing it on ps4 so can't help ya
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

I'm playing with controller and it works fine. Haven't tried mouse/keyboard.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

I don't have the game(not sure my video card can handle + I am not paying full price for games) but use a controller.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I don't want to buy a controller, so that's sort of a deal breaker.  Game is already 50 bucks.  Don't want to spend another 30 for a controller.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I would suggest looking around for keyboard control based reviews of the game. TotalBiscuit did a video on the game, and while he normally uses keyboard/mouse controls, I don't recall if he did so in this case.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2014, 08:18:42 AM
I don't want to buy a controller, so that's sort of a deal breaker.  Game is already 50 bucks.  Don't want to spend another 30 for a controller.

Buy a controller now(also 30$?! lolz Double that) and get SoM later(Winter sale).

Edit : I did some research and 30$ for a PC controller is possible in the USA. Well shitz.

Syt

XBox 360 controllers are kind of "the standard" for controller controls on PC these days - you can get the wired ones for around 30 EUR if you do some comparison shopping. Amazon.de has it for 27.50 with free shipping.

I find it a decent investment, as many action games will support them (useful for jump'n'runs, shoot'em ups, or third person action games like Arkham series; not so much for first person games).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Syt

Not a fan of wireless input devices.
—Stephen Jay Gould