Human Rights Watch Warns of 'Authoritarian Drift' in Turkey

Started by Syt, September 30, 2014, 12:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on May 02, 2017, 04:28:43 PM
Romania is actually rather encouraging as it seems to have a rather strong civil movement to reduce government corruption and improve their democracy.

The EU enlargements in 2004 and 2007 included Poland (great economic success, recently relapsed on societal progress), three Baltic states (all good economic development, but demographic collapse), Czechia and Slovakia (both doing well although not too enthusiastic about further integration), Hungary (well...), Slovenia (doing very well economically and I think ok politically), Bulgaria (not so great, corruption), Romania (okayish). Cyprus and Malta were Western states even before, but Cyprus should probably not have been admitted without a solution to the North Cyprus question. That was a mistake.

Greece has been a member since sometime in the 1980s and did fairly well, especially with democracy compared to their earlier military junta, until they joined the Euro - which as we all know was a massive mistake.

You're arguing about the pros and cons of most recent expansion, which is different than my Ottoman Empire = shit thesis.

alfred russel

Romania was only arguably a part of the Ottoman conquest.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Turkey should just establish a constitutional monarchy with one of the surviving Osman descendants. Would be cool!!!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on May 02, 2017, 12:50:11 PM
Would have been nice if Turkey had developed into a secular, liberal republic over the last 15-20 years and then they could have become a member. Alas, they developed in a completely different direction and are now more or less a dictatorship that scorns European values, so there is no value in any further talks with them.

While that's true it absolves the EU side of Sarkozyite asshollery at a time when it looked like things could still go in the right direction in Turkey.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on May 02, 2017, 04:29:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2017, 04:21:58 PM
It seems to me that the Eastern Expansion drove the UK out though.
And here I thought it was due to internal differences in the Tory party that were mismanaged by David Cameron.

I guess I found Tamas' thesis that it came from hatred for Eastern European Immigrants convincing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2017, 04:18:26 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 02, 2017, 04:12:58 PM
EDIT: Nah, the eastern expansion of the EU is a huge success despite assclowns like Orban or Kaczynski.

Greece, failure.  Hungary, failure.  Rumania, debatable.

Czechia, inside the limits.

Carolingians never ruled the Czechs!

Also, Baltics and Scandis are fine. And maybe even Spain.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Solmyr on May 02, 2017, 06:13:19 PM

You didn't read the thread, did you?  :(

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2017, 04:18:26 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 02, 2017, 04:12:58 PM
EDIT: Nah, the eastern expansion of the EU is a huge success despite assclowns like Orban or Kaczynski.

Greece, failure.  Hungary, failure.  Rumania, debatable.

Czechia, inside the limits.

None of those places were OMG can I be: Ottoman Empire though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

Samo - Frankish according to legend - ruled over the Czechs, Moravians, Wends.  But NOT the Avars.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on May 02, 2017, 04:30:51 PM
Is Czechia becoming a thing?

I think I only ever hear Czech Republic in real life.

This sounded fishy, so I asked a friend in the Czech Republic, and this is what she just sent me back:
QuoteWell, neither. In Czech is something completely different 😂 But official sources will say Czech republic, Czechia or cesko is a bit problematic because it doesn't include Moravia and Silesia. [emphasis mine] Kind of like the difference between saying England and UK
Experience bij!

Valmy

Why would Czechia not also refer to Moravia? Weird.

garbon

They said they went with Czechia to make it easier on tourism branding.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2017, 01:55:44 PM
They said they went with Czechia to make it easier on tourism branding.

Apparently, it's not particularly popular in the country itself.  Said Czech friend said she and pretty much everyone she knows hates the term.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2017, 01:53:48 PM
Why would Czechia not also refer to Moravia? Weird.

Because Czechia means Bohemia and Bohemia and Moravia are different, I guess.

How did Bohemia become Czechia, anyone know?  Or alternatively, if Bohemians always called themselves Czechs, where and why did Bohemia come in?