Columbia student carrying mattress until school expels her rapist

Started by garbon, September 24, 2014, 08:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

DGuller

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2014, 01:03:13 PM
I find your statement perplexing as well Jacob.

I'm waiting for Spicy to answer my question, since I did him the courtesy of answering his straight up.

How about you, do you believe her? I'm assuming the answer is "no"?

Admiral Yi

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2014, 01:09:35 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2014, 12:48:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2014, 12:15:44 PMDo you believe her claim?

I don't see any reason not to.

Do you believe her?

Not really, no.

Yeah, that would have been my guess.

I'm guessing a lot of the responses to this case maps to whether people think fake rape accusations and attention whoring is something that happens more and/or is a bigger deal vs actual rapes happing and not being dealt with appropriately.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2014, 01:03:13 PM
I find your statement perplexing as well Jacob.

Since Spicy obliged :)...

What about my statement perplexes you?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2014, 01:13:55 PM
I'm guessing a lot of the responses to this case maps to whether people think fake rape accusations and attention whoring is something that happens more and/or is a bigger deal vs actual rapes happing and not being dealt with appropriately.

What if we think both are big problems?  Is that not possible?  I happen to think they are closely linked, since false claims don't just hurt the falsely accused-- they affect all women as well.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2014, 01:16:10 PM
What about my statement perplexes you?

More or less what grumbler said.  You seem to be totally disregarding a lot of evidence.

derspiess

Martim Silva

I haven't read all replies, but do tell me: rape cases in US universities ARE handed over to the police, right?

(can't imagine a scenario where allegations of a crime won't be handed over to the proper authorities).

As for this particular case, from my experience raped women tend very much to avoid contact with anything that reminds them of what happened to them. And therefore walking around with a mattress where she was supposedly raped strikes me as very odd (not to mention her behaviour).

I am skeptical of the claims  :hmm:

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2014, 01:13:55 PM
I'm guessing that that is not true.  You may respond to each case based on your beliefs about the relationships between false rape accusations and real rapes, but I'd bet more people are like me, and look at each story separately, as though the victims and perps (of either sort) were individuals.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 25, 2014, 01:22:59 PM
I haven't read all replies, but do tell me: rape cases in US universities ARE handed over to the police, right?

It would appear its up to the victim to take the matter up with the police.  It's not done automatically by the university.

Rasputin

iirc hitler supported making fun of those who carry mattreses
Who is John Galt?

CountDeMoney

I dont see why the NYPD needs to be dragged into a case involving assplay that doesnt involve Haitian immigrants.