Leftist economic ideas are based on the worst human emotions, the UK edition

Started by Tamas, September 23, 2014, 12:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2014, 10:52:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2014, 10:31:00 PM
I thought a flat tax was tax that applied to everyone equally and not graduated therefor "flat".  Sales taxes function like that correct?

Perhaps Yi can walk me through how a person who spends all of their income does not pays a higher percentage of money on sales taxes then a person who spends only a quarter of their income.

I get the very strong impression your being purposely obtuse.

You told me "No".  I would like to know why that is is incorrect.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2014, 08:58:57 PM
No Raz.

No? :blink:  How can the answer to this possibly be "no"?  This is pretty basic math Yi.  Maybe you do not understand the scenario?  Somebody who spends all their money on shit will pay a larger percentage of their income on sales taxes then somebody who doesn't.  Because...obvious things are obvious?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2014, 08:58:07 PM
I thought this was what Marty was getting at.  A sales tax is a de facto flat tax though, since everyone pays the same.  So under this system a person who must spend more of their money just to live is in fact paying a higher percent of their money on taxes, correct?

No, I was discussing income tax only. Not saying that you are wrong but my argument that the purely flat income tax is de facto regressive works even if you do not have any sales taxes or other taxes of a similar nature.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on September 27, 2014, 07:37:04 PM
Sales tax is not considered flat.  It is not an income tax at all, so it's neither flat nor progressive.  That said, it is recognized fairly widely that it is rather regressive, unless a whole lot of basic necessities are excluded.
There's zero-rate VAT on a lot of necessities here. I believe the ONS said that it's still, over a lifetime, regressive.
Let's bomb Russia!