Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2014, 12:02:14 AM
There are.

Hmmm... maybe they should consider adapting that in Hong Kong then. That might alleviate some of these difficulties.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 05, 2014, 12:10:53 AM
Hmmm... maybe they should consider adapting that in Hong Kong then. That might alleviate some of these difficulties.

Unless I'm mistaken, Hong Kong has a free press, freedom of speech, and freedom of peaceful assembly.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2014, 12:14:41 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, Hong Kong has a free press, freedom of speech, and freedom of peaceful assembly.

That is correct.

Martinus

frunk

Are any of those a system of governance?

Martinus

So does Russia.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on October 05, 2014, 03:34:25 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_Hong_Kong

It seems freedom of press is questionable.

According to the link to the press freedom index compiled by Reporters Without Borders, our ranking is about the same as Japan, and ahead of Israel and EU countries like Greece and Hungary.  What more do you want?  Of course some people will be unhappy with individual incidents.  AppleDaily, a major newspaper in HK, is blatently anti-government in all its news reports. 

2014:

the US: 46th
Italy: 49th
Japan: 59th
HK: 61st
Hungary: 64th
Israel: 96th
Greece: 99th
Russia: 148th
Singapore: 150th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on October 05, 2014, 03:35:43 AM

So does Russia.

Search "1 July protests" then.  Every year, hundreds of thousands legally march against the government on that day.  Don't trust me, google it yourself.

Monoriu

Infighting has broken out among the rioters.  Faced with an impending government deadline to ensure that government HQs is open for Monday tomorrow, some want to retreat and regroup, while others want to take a hard line.  Tons of conflicting news on whether they will withdraw or not.  Different factions blame each other for betrayal. 

I have no idea what will happen tonight.  The only thing I am certain, is that I will go to work tomorrow.  Or at least, try to.  I am beginning to worry about the personal safety of my wife and I.  Did anybody die when the Reichstag was burnt down in the thirties?  We work inside the largest and most prominent symbol of HK government's power.  I will check the fire evacuation route tomorrow.  I used to never bother with these things. 

Eddie Teach

What would the Chinese government have to gain from burning down your building?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 05, 2014, 07:43:45 AM
What would the Chinese government have to gain from burning down your building?  :huh:

The rioters.  Some of them are getting increasingly radical. 

Eddie Teach

Do you believe the communists were responsible for the Reichstag fire?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 05, 2014, 08:26:28 AM
Do you believe the communists were responsible for the Reichstag fire?  :hmm:

No, of course not.  That's not very reassuring though. 

Jacob

Quote from: frunk on October 05, 2014, 03:34:36 AM

Are any of those a system of governance?

Don't confuse him.

Valmy

:frusty:

Anyway it sounds like your freedom to peaceful assembly requires some sort of police permission.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."