Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2014, 05:30:37 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2014, 04:25:43 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 02, 2014, 03:31:25 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2014, 02:58:33 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 02, 2014, 02:52:22 AM
I find the use of the term "rioters" questionable, as the protestors have so far gone out of their way to be peaceful and friendly. Hell, they're even picking up their trash and keeping the streets clean, which is more than can be said about the NY Occupy crowd. They're poster children for non-rioting protests.

As long as they continue to operate on key public roads without police permit, I will continue to regard them as such.
And you will continue to be objectively wrong.

You're exactly the kind of person who would have denounced the marches of Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

Occupying key roads indefinitely hurts others in the population.  It is akin to taking society hostage.  I for one do not find this acceptable.  There are other legal channels to protest. 

That's not rioting though.

I saw them attack police lines last Sunday.

Monoriu

Rioters' deadline for the Chief Executive to resign is this midnight.  Afterwards they will picket key government buildings.  Police have transported dozens of boxes of ammunition to inside the Chief Executive's office.  We have been ordered to report to work at government HQs tomorrow.  I will comply. 

Josquius

I just hope the PRC dont crush Hong Kong and i totslly missed all my chances to visit
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2014, 05:45:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2014, 05:30:37 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2014, 04:25:43 AM
I find the use of the term "rioters" questionable, as the protestors have so far gone out of their way to be peaceful and friendly. Hell, they're even picking up their trash and keeping the streets clean, which is more than can be said about the NY Occupy crowd. They're poster children for non-rioting protests.

As long as they continue to operate on key public roads without police permit, I will continue to regard them as such.

You're exactly the kind of person who would have denounced the marches of Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

Occupying key roads indefinitely hurts others in the population.  It is akin to taking society hostage.  I for one do not find this acceptable.  There are other legal channels to protest. 

That's not rioting though.

I saw them attack police lines last Sunday.

Riots general involve a fair amount of violence and vandalism*. Is that an accurate way of describing what you have seen?

*and to clarify that is on the part of the rioters, not the police. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on October 02, 2014, 05:58:59 AM
I just hope the PRC dont crush Hong Kong and i totslly missed all my chances to visit

Beijing recovered after 1989, despite the worst predictions then.  We will rebound from this too.  At least, I will return to work no matter what.  Even if I see PLA tanks on the streets, I will go back to work.  Unless they fire me first, of course (in both sense of the word) :lol: 

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2014, 06:02:04 AM

Riots general involve a fair amount of violence and vandalism*. Is that an accurate way of describing what you have seen?

Definitely.  I saw them charge police with umbrellas.  I see them create road blocks.  I see them prevent others from using roads.  That fits my criteria.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2014, 06:05:27 AM

Definitely.  I saw them charge police with umbrellas.  I see them create road blocks.  I see them prevent others from using roads.  That fits my criteria.

Only one of those things can be described as violent.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2014, 06:09:32 AM

Hey, you can call them whatever you want.  They will always be rioters in my mind. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2014, 06:11:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2014, 06:09:32 AM

Hey, you can call them whatever you want.  They will always be rioters in my mind. 

As Tim said just be aware that you are using the wrong terminology.

Monoriu

People have analysed the labels of the boxes that police got into government HQs.  Rubber bullets. 

garbon

Also for your sake, I hope you never have to deal with actual rioting.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2014, 06:13:19 AM
Also for your sake, I hope you never have to deal with actual rioting.

Anything can happen in the next few weeks.  I won't be surprised if I see PLA tanks on the streets, or the communists sending a few divisions of armed police to HK, or the rioters turning even more violent, or the HK police using rubber bullets. 

mongers

Well said.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

I don't know why people are on Mono's case for using "rioters" incorrectly.  Its clear that he is misusing the word because it has such a high emotive content, and it suits his sense of outrage to use emotionally charged words, even incorrectly.

He can no more be convinced to use language accurately than any other commie can.  All commies lie through language choice.  We all know it, so it doesn't fool anyone, and it makes him feel better.  So, just roll with the whole "rioter" thing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on October 02, 2014, 07:05:28 AM
I don't know why people are on Mono's case for using "rioters" incorrectly.  Its clear that he is misusing the word because it has such a high emotive content, and it suits his sense of outrage to use emotionally charged words, even incorrectly.

He can no more be convinced to use language accurately than any other commie can.  All commies lie through language choice.  We all know it, so it doesn't fool anyone, and it makes him feel better.  So, just roll with the whole "rioter" thing.

I'm generally not a fan of bald faced lying.