Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2014, 09:10:08 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:05:14 PM
Think whatever you want to think, I don't really care.  But it is a valid position to hope for peace and stability.  Like I said, we are not North Korea, or even Eastern Europe pre-1989.  We are one of the richest cities in the world, and I can access whatever website I want.  I don't have any major problems with the regime.  I can see why others may think differently, but there is no excuse to block roads and attack police.
Just because you say it doesn't mean it's true.

I live and work here.  So does my family.  You don't.  I don't see how you know more about this than me. 

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2014, 09:09:03 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:08:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2014, 09:07:03 PM
but there is no excuse to block roads and attack police. 

What other recourse do they have?

Pass the exam and become a winner when they were younger? :contract:

:rolleyes:

There is no second chance in life. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:14:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2014, 09:09:03 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:08:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2014, 09:07:03 PM
but there is no excuse to block roads and attack police. 

What other recourse do they have?

Pass the exam and become a winner when they were younger? :contract:

:rolleyes:

There is no second chance in life. 

Perhaps in bizarro dystopias.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:11:19 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2014, 09:10:08 PM
Think whatever you want to think, I don't really care.  But it is a valid position to hope for peace and stability.  Like I said, we are not North Korea, or even Eastern Europe pre-1989.  We are one of the richest cities in the world, and I can access whatever website I want.  I don't have any major problems with the regime.  I can see why others may think differently, but there is no excuse to block roads and attack police.
Just because you say it doesn't mean it's true.

I live and work here.  So does my family.  You don't.  I don't see how you know more about this than me. 

Of course, you could always lack perspective.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2014, 09:15:13 PM

Of course, you could always lack perspective.

My perspective on HK is better than Tim's :contract:

mongers

Mono I'm not sure what you're trying to 'prove' here.

Maybe you should burn those Canadian and UK passports of yours, just to be on the safe side.

Plus you wouldn't then need anyone on the outside of the cage to lock the door for you.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Wife and I couldn't really sleep last night.  We kept turning in the beds and looking at the computer screen for the latest news.  We used to be a very safe place.  This is the biggest riot in living memory.  Someone claims that this is the first time ever that HK police have used tear gas on HK people (the last time was on Korean farmers during the WTO conference in 2005, but that doesn't really count because no HKer was involved). 

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on September 28, 2014, 09:22:01 PM
Mono I'm not sure what you're trying to 'prove' here.

Maybe you should burn those Canadian and UK passports of yours, just to be on the safe side.

Plus you wouldn't then need anyone on the outside of the cage to lock the door for you.

I am certainly not trying to convince you :contract:  I like to talk about this, that's good enough reason for me.  Why should I burn the passports?  They are hard to get and convenient.  A few weeks ago I used the UK one to get into Germany.  It felt really good to line up at the short line labelled "EU citizens"  :P

Camerus

It's no secret that Hong Kong's distinctive culture is also under threat from the Mainland. What's at stake here is also an attempt to keep Hong Kong from becoming no different from the rest of China. I'm not sure if Mono really doesn't see that.

Monoriu

Quote from: Camerus on September 28, 2014, 09:33:48 PM
It's no secret that Hong Kong's distinctive culture is also under threat from the Mainland. What's at stake here is also an attempt to keep Hong Kong from becoming no different from the rest of China. I'm not sure if Mono really doesn't see that.

Frankly, I don't see that.  And I don't see how attacking police lines can accomplish anything.  I also have no idea what this culture means. 

Camerus

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:35:13 PM

Frankly, I don't see that.  And I don't see how attacking police lines can accomplish anything.  I also have no idea what this culture means.

If you don't see how allowing Beijing more control to dictate your internal affairs could possibly influence Hong Kong's independence and freedom of information,independent judiciary etc. then frankly you're probably too stupid to understand what you have in the first place.

LaCroix

mono's hostility toward the protestors doesn't mean he's unreasonable. the protestors are causing mayhem and violence in his home. no civilized government would allow thousands of protestors to prevent an important sector of a city from functioning. whether they're protesting for a valid reason is kind of beside the point. police brutality does occur, and many times black people are targeted or receive the brunt of that brutality. but, i don't think many languish posters would like mayhem in their own neck of the woods caused by thousands of black protestors.

there's a lot of disrespect and shit-throwing in this thread over a situation that's a lot more nuanced than some seem to think.

Monoriu

Quote from: Camerus on September 28, 2014, 09:42:40 PM

If you don't see how allowing Beijing more control to dictate your internal affairs could possibly influence Hong Kong's independence and freedom of information,independent judiciary etc. then frankly you're probably too stupid to understand what you have in the first place.

If this is Beijing, PLA tanks would already have controlled the scenes. 

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on September 28, 2014, 09:43:51 PM
mono's hostility toward the protestors doesn't mean he's unreasonable. the protestors are causing mayhem and violence in his home. no civilized government would allow thousands of protestors to prevent an important sector of a city from functioning. whether they're protesting for a valid reason is kind of beside the point. police brutality does occur, and many times black people are targeted or receive the brunt of that brutality. but, i don't think many languish posters would like mayhem in their own neck of the woods caused by thousands of black protestors.

there's a lot of disrespect and shit-throwing in this thread over a situation that's a lot more nuanced than some seem to think.

Ah yes a nuanced situation. Thanks for being a voice of sanity.

Also, thanks for getting racial on us. Appreciate it. :)

Camerus

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:46:30 PM
Quote from: Camerus on September 28, 2014, 09:42:40 PM

If this is Beijing, PLA tanks would already have controlled the scenes.

That's the point. It's not Beijing. Yet.