Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 11:06:02 AM
The fucks have now blocked roads in Causeway Bay, our shopping district.  And they stand at a petroleum station right outside police HQs, daring the police to fire tear gas at them.  They really want to take away our peaceful society, eh.  I hate them, honestly.
How they different from the protestors who toppled Eastern European dictatorships in 1989? Did that end peaceful societies? :rolleyes:

Anyways, more China fail.

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-taiwan-rebuffs-china-unification-20140927-story.html
QuoteTaiwan rebuffs Chinese leader's new pitch for unification

Taiwan has sharply rejected Chinese President Xi Jinping's suggestion that the two sides end more than six decades of hostile separation by adopting a "one country, two systems" model like the one employed to achieve the return of the former British territory Hong Kong to Chinese sovereignty.

Dashing hopes in Beijing for reunification in the immediate future, the Taiwan government's Mainland Affairs Council said in a statement that more than 70% of Taiwanese people consider the Chinese Communist Party leader's idea "unfit" for their democratic, self-ruled island. Mainland China and Taiwan split amid civil war in 1949.

"Regarding mainland China's comments related to 'one country, two systems,' our government has no way of accepting them," the council said late Friday.

The timing of Xi's suggestion on Friday that mainland China and Taiwan could reconcile under a  "one country, two systems" arrangement came at a curious juncture. Hong Kong democracy activists are waging a furious battle against authorities in Beijing, accusing mainland leaders of reneging on promises to allow truly open elections for the territory's chief executive in 2017.

Many Taiwanese have been closely following the events in Hong Kong, and Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou's called this month for stronger democracy in the territory.

The former British colony returned to Chinese sovereignty in 1997, and the "one country, two systems" framework was supposed to ensure that the region of 7 million was granted a high degree of economic and political autonomy for 50 years. 

Taiwan's rebuke to Xi and its expressions of support for democracy in Hong Kong look to pose setbacks for Beijing's long-held goal of reunification.

Xi made his comments on Friday in Beijing to a Taiwanese delegation led by the head of a minor pro-unification party. It appears to be the first time Xi has publicly pushed the "one country, two systems" framework vis-a-vis Taiwan since he became head of the Chinese Communist Party in 2012.

"Peaceful unification and 'one country, two systems' are our guiding principles in solving the Taiwan issue," Xi told the delegation, as quoted by Taiwan's official Central News Agency.

Mainland China and Taiwan have been separately ruled since the Chinese civil war of the 1940s, when Chiang Kai-shek's Nationalists fled Mao Tse-tung's Communists to Taipei, where they set up a rival government. After decades of icy relations marked by occasional threats of war, Ma's government in 2008 brokered talks on nonpolitical issues such as trade and investment.

The two sides have signed more than 20 nonpolitical accords – bringing millions of Chinese tourists to the island and lowering trade barriers to push total imports and exports to a record $124 billion in 2013.  But Xi has pushed a reluctant Taiwan to discuss politics; in October last year, he said political issues involving Taiwan should not be "passed on generation after generation." But Taiwan's president has said he has no timeline for such discussions.

Xi may have made his comments Friday to take Taiwan's temperature again, said Nathan Liu, international affairs professor at Ming Chuan University in Taiwan.

"Maybe it's a trial balloon to see if Ma Ying-jeou is really eager for a Ma-Xi meeting," Liu said, referring to what would be an unprecedented encounter between the two presidents. "The second guess is that [the comments] were reassurance of the effectiveness of 'one country, two systems.' Two systems isn't working well in Hong Kong, so they're worried this is setting a bad example in Taiwan."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 08:34:59 PM
I can see the rioters from my window.  Police have deployed SWAT teams, anti-terror units and airport special police to defend this place.  The roads in front of the Chief Executive's office are like a maze with obstacles deployed by police.  Hundreds of tear gas grenades were thrown last night.  No one is dead, even though tens of thousands of rioters were present.  This speaks tons of police restraint.

Mono, you do realize you're coming over as a bit of a drone.

Incidentally, having viewed the lastest footage, I can see know way in which these demonstrators could be described as rioters. Where's the damage caused by this riot exactly?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

I wish an Armored Car would run over Tim.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on September 28, 2014, 08:46:57 PM
I can see the rioters from my window.  Police have deployed SWAT teams, anti-terror units and airport special police to defend this place.  The roads in front of the Chief Executive's office are like a maze with obstacles deployed by police.  Hundreds of tear gas grenades were thrown last night.  No one is dead, even though tens of thousands of rioters were present.  This speaks tons of police restraint.

Incidentally, having viewed the lastest footage, I can see know way in which these demonstrators could be described as rioters. Where's the damage caused by this riot exactly?

They are blocking roads.  That's criminal.

DontSayBanana

It's a city full of accounting drones.  They're probably tallying up lost revenue due to tardiness as damages. :contract:
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

I think I should take a charitable, non-critical approach towards Mono; he's probably being monitored or assumes so and so is 'having' to post that bollocks to convince the ministry of his blind unthinking loyalty. :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

I am tempted to go, give some words of encouragement to the riot police guarding the gates and cheer them. 

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on September 28, 2014, 08:52:14 PM
I think I should take a charitable, non-critical approach towards Mono; he's probably being monitored or assumes so and so is 'having' to post that bollocks to convince the ministry of his blind unthinking loyalty. :cool:

The words are from the bottom of my heart. 

Savonarola

:o 

Stop.  The.  Presses.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on September 28, 2014, 09:00:12 PM

Proof positive.

Think whatever you want to think, I don't really care.  But it is a valid position to hope for peace and stability.  Like I said, we are not North Korea, or even Eastern Europe pre-1989.  We are one of the richest cities in the world, and I can access whatever website I want.  I don't have any major problems with the regime.  I can see why others may think differently, but there is no excuse to block roads and attack police. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:05:14 PM
but there is no excuse to block roads and attack police. 

What other recourse do they have?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2014, 09:07:03 PM

Pass the exam and become a winner when they were younger? :contract:

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:08:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2014, 09:07:03 PM

Pass the exam and become a winner when they were younger? :contract:

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Think whatever you want to think, I don't really care.  But it is a valid position to hope for peace and stability.  Like I said, we are not North Korea, or even Eastern Europe pre-1989.  We are one of the richest cities in the world, and I can access whatever website I want.  I don't have any major problems with the regime.  I can see why others may think differently, but there is no excuse to block roads and attack police.
Just because you say it doesn't mean it's true.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point