News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

70 Years Ago This Week Operation Market Garden

Started by mongers, September 20, 2014, 07:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2014, 04:08:58 PM
I didn't know the Marne was the most decisive battle of WWI.

I didn't know there was one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 20, 2014, 03:43:31 PM
I sometimes don't get the priorities for battle anniversaries on Languish  :hmm:

Early this month it was the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Marne, THE most decisive battle of WWI, with many armies and millions of participants, and yet seemed to have been totally forgotten here.

Yet, on the 70th anniversary of an operation that just involved some divisions, you have a thread. Honestly.

I think that the one poster on Languish who cared so much about the battle of the Marne was busy getting catfished by someone pretending to the the Russian ambassador.  Honestly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 20, 2014, 04:31:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2014, 04:08:58 PM
I didn't know the Marne was the most decisive battle of WWI.

I didn't know there was one.

There were a few decisive battles.  The Tannenburg and Masurian Lakes was pretty decisive. Amiens and the the Hundred Days offensive did sort of win the war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Time to check if Close Combat 2 runs on XP on compatibility mode. Mac OS X has forsaken Classic for a while so it's only pre 10.7.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 20, 2014, 05:09:14 PM
Time to check if Close Combat 2 runs on XP on compatibility mode. Mac OS X has forsaken Classic for a while so it's only pre 10.7.

CC2. :mmm:

Matrix keeps cranking those things back out. Christmas sale in December should knock their retard price down 30% or so.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Battlefront has a market Garden game, or rather a module.  They maintain similar retarded pricing as Matrix does.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

I sometimes don't get the priorities for battle anniversaries on Languish  :hmm:

Market-Garden has a fantastic narrative arc, with desperately outgunned paras clinging to a toehold while scanning the horizon for salvation as the clock ticks down and ammo runs out.  Individual acts of bravery, a colorful mish-mash of nationalities, a variety of unit types.

The Marne, in contrast, is not much more than a mathematical equation.

Razgovory

Really it's more of a body of water then anything else.

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on September 20, 2014, 07:32:01 AM
Seventy years ago this week Operation Market Garden took place.

This anniversary seems to have gotten lost amongst the coverage of the Scottish independence referendum.

Early this month it was the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Marne, THE most decisive battle of WWI, with many armies and millions of participants, and yet seemed to have been totally forgotten here.

Yawn
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Yeah, Market Garden had the better soundtrack.

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2014, 06:56:59 PM

Market-Garden has a fantastic narrative arc, with desperately outgunned paras clinging to a toehold while scanning the horizon for salvation as the clock ticks down and ammo runs out.  Individual acts of bravery, a colorful mish-mash of nationalities, a variety of unit types.

Market Garden also had an absolutely fantastic cast - Dirk Bogarde, Edward Fox, Elliott Gould, Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Laurence Olivier, Maximillian Schell, James Caan...

You'd never get all this first-rate talent into a modern battle.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

I liked the German movie from the 30s where Douaumont veterans played themselves.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2014, 06:56:59 PM

Er, no.

The First Battle of the Marne occurred during the time when armies were fully on the move, and it was one of the most fluid battles of WWI.

It was also full of acts of courage by units and whole armies; the tactics of attrition would not come to being until 1916.

One of the biggest symbols of the battle is be the message sent by the French general Ferdinand Foch, leading 9th Army, to the GHQ:

Quote from: Foch, at the First Battle of the Marne
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."

It was the battle the stopped the Germans from conquering France and threw all the war plans into disarray. It was the battle that pretty much ultimately ensured Allied victory and made WWI into what it would become.

Quote from: The Brain
I liked the German movie from the 30s where Douaumont veterans played themselves.

Indeed, movies where the veterans are the actors are far more realistic.

Which is why I recommend the movie I linked above - all the protagonists are the real ones, and it was filmed on location. The rubble is still the one of the battle, which was yet to be fully cleared.

You can't get more faithful than that, and it is a much truer tale than seeing some actors doing scenes 'embellished' to be more attractive.

Want Market Garden? Then go see the REAL soldiers of Market Garden in the REAL streets of war-torn Arnhem, not some Hollywood posers in a set.

grumbler

Actually, the Marne simply decided where the trenches would be dug.  The myth that it saved France is easily disproven by the fact that the Germans had already swung short of Paris before the battle had begun.

I'd say the Paris taxi shuttle is a much bigger symbol of the battle than the nonsensical Foch quote that no one remembers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!