News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Language Education Questions

Started by Savonarola, September 12, 2014, 11:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2014, 02:50:07 PM
What is the big deal about having a hamburger and fries in Paris?  I certainly saw plenty of French people doing that.

There is a lot of overreaction going on in this thread. This one is hardly the biggest. ;)

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2014, 02:49:10 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 17, 2014, 02:39:33 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2014, 02:31:00 PM
I'm just wondering how you gathered he was overcharged simply from getting a burger and fries.

He's a tourist, doesn't know the area, it's Paris where everything is expensive (even normal prices are seen as overcharging), a tourist destination and last but not least that's a Parisian thing to despise tourists.  :frog:
A cliché if you will, like the rude garçon etc.
Get it?

I wasn't a tourist. I was there on business. We were taken to a dinner by the client.  :huh:

Well tourist/business don't have to be separate things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

One day I must go to Paris and order a Royale with Cheese. Even though I'm not keen on McDonalds.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2014, 02:50:54 PM
What is the big deal about having a hamburger and fries in Paris?  I certainly saw plenty of French people doing that.

There is a lot of overreaction going on in this thread. This one is hardly the biggest. ;)

I just do not get why you told us that in the first place :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2014, 02:52:19 PM
One day I must go to Paris and order a Royale with Cheese. Even though I'm not keen on McDonalds.

I checked.  The word for Whopper in Paris is Whopper.  Though they would say 'le Whopper'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2014, 02:53:12 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2014, 02:50:54 PM

I just do not get why you told us that in the first place :P

I wanted to troll Duque. :P

Martinus

I gotta confess that (notwithstanding having a burger at the restaurant later), the day I arrived, I had a meeting at 2 p.m. and was at the place around 1 p.m. so I went to look around for some place like Starbucks to grab a quick sandwich - but all the places I could find (the office was at Avenue de Friedland, just next to Arc de Triomphe) were the sit-in places, where you had to order and wait for your order to come - which I had no time for. So I ended up at McDonald's.  :blush:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2014, 02:53:43 PM

I checked.  The word for Whopper in Paris is Whopper.  Though they would say 'le Whopper'.

You're lucky (sort of), Burger King is back in Paris. People say that it's still better than Mc Donald's or Quick.
People are more likely to use "un" when ordering "je voudrais un ..."

Peter
That would be "un Royal Cheese" there. :)

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2014, 02:56:20 PM

I gotta confess that (notwithstanding having a burger at the restaurant later), the day I arrived, I had a meeting at 2 p.m. and was at the place around 1 p.m. so I went to look around for some place like Starbucks to grab a quick sandwich - but all the places I could find (the office was at Avenue de Friedland, just next to Arc de Triomphe) were the sit-in places, where you had to order and wait for your order to come - which I had no time for. So I ended up at McDonald's.  :blush:

There is something to be said for hitting up a McDonalds when on a foreign trip.  You're in a rush, you don't know the area, and you have to get something to eat fairly quickly.  You see the golden arches and you have some reassurance about what you're getting.

Besides, McDonalds does vary their menu from country to country so you can still get a faint echo of local cuisine if you want.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 17, 2014, 02:59:36 PM

Well of course nobody would order 'I would like the Whopper'.  You have to use the right article -_-

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Fast Food places were invented just for this important social function.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2014, 03:00:59 PM

There is something to be said for hitting up a McDonalds when on a foreign trip.  You're in a rush, you don't know the area, and you have to get something to eat fairly quickly.  You see the golden arches and you have some reassurance about what you're getting.

Besides, McDonalds does vary their menu from country to country so you can still get a faint echo of local cuisine if you want.

Yeah. Same for the likes of Starbucks or Cafe Nero. Globalisation has its pluses.

Duque de Bragança

I gotta confess that (notwithstanding having a burger at the restaurant later), the day I arrived, I had a meeting at 2 p.m. and was at the place around 1 p.m. so I went to look around for some place like Starbucks to grab a quick sandwich - but all the places I could find (the office was at Avenue de Friedland, just next to Arc de Triomphe) were the sit-in places, where you had to order and wait for your order to come - which I had no time for. So I ended up at McDonald's:blush:

:lmfao:

So much for Martinus' expensive and refined tastes... How cheap of you, again.
What's next? A kebab place?  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 17, 2014, 02:59:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2014, 02:53:43 PM

You're lucky (sort of), Burger King is back in Paris. People say that it's still better than Mc Donald's or Quick.

Peter
That would be "un Royal Cheese" there. :)

Do people typically lead with "je voudrais"? I had been practicing some basic French and had a fri...acquaintance is probably better term, note to me that I was wasting time as most people wouldn't order so formally. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.