News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Language Education Questions

Started by Savonarola, September 12, 2014, 11:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2014, 11:32:17 PM

Quote from: viper37So all calls for the St-Lawrence would have been handled in Halifax.  In English only.

Your article does not say in English only, it says

"the Trenton and Halifax Joint
Rescue Coordination Centres still did not have the
capacity to handle distress calls in English and
French equally at all times."

That is so far away from "in English only" it isn't even funny. Why do you just blatantly lie about this stuff?

:huh:

He's not lieing you are just falling for the PC trap of Canadian bureaucracy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 16, 2014, 05:44:53 PM
Maybe the Canadian government should work on expanding Francophone presence in western provinces.

Hey, you went, didn't even last a week if I recall correctly!  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

My failure is the Federal government failure, I agree.

3 weeks. :face:

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2014, 12:44:59 AM
I oppose all attempts to make English the "Official language" in this country.  I don't care for these identity politics. 

Same. Speaking English is not what makes someone American.

I support encouraging immigrants to learn English of course, since as a practical matter they will integrate better and be more productive when they do, but there isn't any moral or nationalist component to that - quite the opposite in fact. Tolerance of others is what makes America great, and the part of our culture worth protecting is the part that accepts and encourages other cultures, languages, and people. This in stark contrast to the idea (held by some) that culture is something that stands in perpetual conflict to any change or acceptance of outside influences.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2014, 08:18:59 AM

Quote from: viper37So all calls for the St-Lawrence would have been handled in Halifax.  In English only.

That is so far away from "in English only" it isn't even funny. Why do you just blatantly lie about this stuff?

I don't understand what you mean.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

That is a very American sentiment. Something your English Comrade to the north haven't shared for a long period of our history.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on September 17, 2014, 10:46:41 AM

It means No French.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2014, 10:48:21 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 17, 2014, 10:46:41 AM

It means No French.

That isn't what it says - if that is what it means, you will need to provide more evidence to make the point.

What it says is that they cannot provide equal French responses at all times. You cannot use that as evidence that there isn't any French at all.

Maybe that is true, but the article in question doesn't show it to be true. Perhaps they are lying, but in that case we are left with just an unsupported claim that they are lying, and it strikes me as rather odd that one would use an article you are claiming is a lie to support a claim that something else entirely is true. Why even bring the article up in that case?

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Are you new here? Have you not interacted with Viper before?

viper37

Yes, if you call between 9h-17h Monday to Friday and ask Brigitte for all your emergency need, you will have French support with limited knowledge of the St-Lawrence.  It ain't no french at all, ergo we are liars.

I think Berkut never got around the fact that didn't follow the US in the Irak war and he since hates all French speakers.  That or he's just a moron unable to read by himself unless it's spoonfed.

Say, if it ain't a problem to transfer the Marine rescue sub-center to Halifax, why not move the Halifax center to Quebec city?  Oh no wait, that's not the same...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2014, 10:55:48 AM

that is what confused me - I thought you were seriously defending his use of that article to support his position.

And since you seem to be kind of reasonable, I was a little surprised...

Fourteen years from now, this will be used as evidence that I am a racist though...

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2014, 10:57:23 AM
Yes, if you call between 9h-17h Monday to Friday and ask Brigitte for all your emergency need, you will have French support with limited knowledge of the St-Lawrence.  It ain't no french at all, ergo we are liars.

Yes, if the reality is that there is in fact French support, then saying there is no French support is by definition, a lie. That is what the word means - to say something that you know is not true.

I am glad we cleared that up.

Of course, the article you cited as support for your claim that there is no French support doesn't even say what you are claiming it says right now either.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2014, 10:57:23 AM
I think Berkut never got around the fact that didn't follow the US in the Irak war and he since hates all French speakers.

The ad homs continue to strengthen your argument.

I mean that seriously - personal attacks on those who disagree with you are actually considerably stronger than the arguments you are making otherwise.

However, they are becoming a little disjointed - I thought my position was because I was a racist Fox News follower? Can you at least come up with a consistent personal attack?

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on September 17, 2014, 10:58:27 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2014, 10:55:48 AM

that is what confused me - I thought you were seriously defending his use of that article to support his position.

And since you seem to be kind of reasonable, I was a little surprised...

Fourteen years from now, this will be used as evidence that I am a racist though...

I live in a different world than Viper's.  I use english, both spoken & written, everyday and not just to argue with Yanks on the internet. It's not just a zeitgeist for me like it seems to be for him and Grallon.

Berkut

I just got a press release from the company I work for. It is in French, which comes as no surprise since the company I work for is headquartered in Paris, and is in fact French.

This is, of course, really inconvenient since I hate the French so much...:lmfao:

0 rows returned