News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Language Education Questions

Started by Savonarola, September 12, 2014, 11:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Bigotry is certainly bad, but the only thing worse is bigotry espoused in the name of fighting imagined or historical bigotry.

The road to hell and all that...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grallon

A hierarchy of bigotry!  Such a convenient conceit...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

PRC

The eventual resolution to this topic must be separation for Quebec because the status quo is apparently not satisfying.  The experiment will be sink or swim for the Quebecois.  I envision a Northern Argentina with a poor economy perpetually close to default while also being hostile to immigration... but perhaps the resources of Quebec's North will be exploited to her gain, opportunity for a thriving tourism sector is there but what if the tourist's aren't French speaking? 

garbon

Quote from: PRC on September 16, 2014, 09:29:27 PM
Opportunity for a thriving tourism sector is there but what if the tourist's aren't French speaking? 

Well they've let me be a tourist many times without speaking French.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Are officials in Quebec required to be able to speak English?

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2014, 09:31:56 PM
Are officials in Quebec required to be able to speak English?

It seems so, at least if they are Feds....or whatever they call Feds in Canada.  Provincial officials probably don't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: PRC on September 16, 2014, 09:29:27 PM
The eventual resolution to this topic must be separation for Quebec because the status quo is apparently not satisfying.

I don't follow.  It might be something else.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Grallon on September 16, 2014, 07:23:44 PM

G.

Exactly. Bigotry against gay people is no better and no worse than bigotry against muslims.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 16, 2014, 09:37:43 PM
Quote from: Grallon on September 16, 2014, 07:23:44 PM

G.

Exactly. Bigotry against gay people is no better and no worse than bigotry against muslims.

I don't know. I mean one group is fabulous and it should be a crime to hate that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Feds is right.

@Berk It's probably a requirement for judges & lawyers. I don't know how many officials speak english in the further reaches tho. Then again the native northen populations speak english not french.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

I guess what I am wondering is if an English speaker in Quebec has the same legal rights/opportunities to be served by the government in his language that French speakers in the rest of Canada have to be served by the government in their language.

I think the answer is no - because Quebec is NOT officially a multilingual province (it is uni-lingual) but the rest of Canada is officially bilingual.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Only one province is bilingual, new brunswick, all others are unilingual. The federal government is bilingual.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2014, 02:50:44 AM
If I am in a company of people where everybody speaks one language and then only some of those present also speak another language, I just find it impolite to start talking in the language not everyone in the group understands - this goes both for speaking Polish in an English speaking group where not everyone understands Polish, and vice versa.
So, you infringe on people's individual rights.  How intolerant of you.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 16, 2014, 08:12:39 AM
Translation: bureaucrat appointed to office designed to promote official bilingualism finds: opposition to bilingualism the worst example of bigotry possible.  :lol: Is completely unable to understand why unilingual anglophones feel disadvantaged in the federal jobs department compared with folks from Quebec - so the notion must be bigotry, not rational self-interest. Because lord knows, if there is one thing completely alien to a federal bureaucrat, it is rational self-interest.
Those comments were made before he was named Commissioner to the official language.
But I knew you would dismiss it, just as you over-exagerate the horrible plight of the Quebec anglo community.

Always the double standard :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 16, 2014, 08:12:39 AM
Is completely unable to understand why unilingual anglophones feel disadvantaged in the federal jobs department compared with folks from Quebec - so the notion must be bigotry, not rational self-interest. Because lord knows, if there is one thing completely alien to a federal bureaucrat, it is rational self-interest.
Prime Minister: bilinguism not required.
Cabinet Minister: bilinguism not required.
Supreme Court judge: bilinguism not required.
Federal court judge: bilinguism not required.
Deputy minister (and all variations): bilinguism not required.
Head of RCMP: bilinguism not required.
Head of CBC: bilinguism not required.
Head of CSIS: bilinguism not required.
Head of Via Rail: bilinguism not required.
Top 10 jobs of any crown corporation: bilinguism not required.
Top 10 jobs in any government department: bilinguism not required.
General sollicitor: bilinguism not required.
Auditor general: bilinguism not required.
Member of parliament: bilinguism not required.
Judge of any court in BC, AB, SK, MB, ON, NS, IPE, NF&L: bilinguism not required. (btw, you can't be judge in Quebec's superior court unless you are bilingual french-english, and possibly a card carrying member of both Liberal's party too ;) )
Crown prosecutor: bilinguism not required.
Head of Canadian armed forces: bilinguism not required.

That's horrible!  Being trapped in such a, a... bilingual (!) world!  How awful that people living in a bilingual country might be forced to learn -argh- French! (of all language!) to get a position at 35k/year serving as a secretary for the under deputy minister of transportation!
Yikes!  What an horrible, horrible fate imposed on our comrades from English Canada :(

And you know the worst part?  That one is beyond evil.  If a qualified government employee had the wish, the required qualifications and the seniority to occupy a bilingual position, a unilingual english canadian can still get the job, so long as he attends french classes.  Now, force someone in a bilingual position to attend french classes paid for by the employer, that's nazi-esque, to say the least.  And it costs billions and billions of $, all those employees getting a 30$ bonus on their bi-weekly paycheck...