News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Scottish Independence: Quebec Edition

Started by viper37, September 06, 2014, 05:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2014, 02:39:16 PM
No, here in Canada at least, that most certainly was not the case. Not that the British Empire/Canada was nice and perfect in its relations to native Canadians, but they did not, by any reasonable description, "kill or ethnically cleanse" the existing Native American population (which very much still exists today).
Maybe not actively, but I am sure the natives in Canada also died in droves from Eurasian diseases. Or there were just barely any people living in Canada which would also not make it an example for the old world, which happened to be full of people when states started to form. 

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on September 09, 2014, 02:23:23 PM
Despite countless genocides and ethnic cleansings, there are just more coherent ethnic groups left in the old world. 

:huh:

Despite?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Might be the wrong word in English. Would "Even after" work better?

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on September 09, 2014, 03:04:42 PM

"because of" might be the better term.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

No, I think Garbon is intimating that that ethic cleaning, war and genocide have defined and delineated those coherent ethnic states ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 09, 2014, 03:09:59 PM

No, I think Garbon is intimating that that ethic cleaning, war and genocide have defined and delineated those coherent ethnic states ?

Yeah exactly. Genocide/ethnic cleansing lead to more coherent ethnic states. After all, that's their whole goal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 09, 2014, 03:15:01 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 09, 2014, 03:09:59 PM

Yeah exactly. Genocide/ethnic cleansing lead to more coherent ethnic states. After all, that's their whole goal.

Bugger, Garbon agrees with me on something; I'll have to give up and close my account.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Zanza on September 09, 2014, 02:55:48 PM
No, here in Canada at least, that most certainly was not the case. Not that the British Empire/Canada was nice and perfect in its relations to native Canadians, but they did not, by any reasonable description, "kill or ethnically cleanse" the existing Native American population (which very much still exists today).
Maybe not actively, but I am sure the natives in Canada also died in droves from Eurasian diseases. Or there were just barely any people living in Canada which would also not make it an example for the old world, which happened to be full of people when states started to form.

There are currently 1.4 million native Canadians living in Canada, as of 2011.

Estimates as to the pre-Columbian population vary widely - some claim a low of 900,000, others a (considered by most absurd) high of 18 million for the population of North America north of the Mexican border as a whole:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1357826/Native-American/261421/Plains-Woodland-and-Plains-Village-cultures#toc273135

The current US population is, of course, much larger than that of Canada, and would reasonably have been much larger in antiquity. Say that Canada made up about 1/10th of the total. That would put the native population (according to the very highest estimate, which no-one seriously believes nowadays) at about the same now as then; by the lowest possible estimate, it has grown by more like 15 times.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

I see your point now.
It's not what I originally wanted to say but I somehow left half of my thought unwritten. What I wanted to say is that despite those genocides and ethnic cleansings there are coherent ethnic groups that are still intermingled geographically in the old world. So the group is clearly defined against other groups (that's what I meant with coherent), yet it might still be mixed with those other groups.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2014, 03:19:42 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 09, 2014, 02:55:48 PM

Estimates as to the pre-Columbian population vary widely - some claim a low of 900,000, others a (considered by most absurd) high of 18 million for the population of North America north of the Mexican border as a whole:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1357826/Native-American/261421/Plains-Woodland-and-Plains-Village-cultures#toc273135

The current US population is, of course, much larger than that of Canada, and would reasonably have been much larger in antiquity. Say that Canada made up about 1/10th of the total. That would put the native population (according to the very highest estimate, which no-one seriously believes nowadays) at about the same now as then; by the lowest possible estimate, it has grown by more like 15 times.

I believe, but would have to check some books, that not only do people seriously believe the higher estimates, but there is evidence to support even higher numbers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Fine. So Canada was empty and can't serve as an example for the densely populated Eurasian continent and state formation there.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on September 09, 2014, 03:27:55 PM

Fine. So Canada was empty and can't serve as an example for the densely populated Eurasian continent and state formation there.

I thought the example was just that Canadians/Americans are actually the balls of light that Euros should aspire to be. ^_^

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2014, 03:23:06 PM

I believe, but would have to check some books, that not only do people seriously believe the higher estimates, but there is evidence to support even higher numbers.

From what I remember, the controversey is mostly over the alleged high density population of the agricultural tracts in the US South - such as those villages and cities that supported the Missisipian culture (and still existed after its more or less collapse - for example, to form the villages and cities reported by De Soto's expedition).

Even assuming these ancient demographers are correct - and their numbers tend to be pretty flimsy in support - that's a controversy that would not impact much on native demographics in Canada.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2014, 03:38:56 PM
Now, in point of fact, some places were temporarily not inhabited when European colonization took place - mostly because of inter-native wars, such as the infamous war of extermination between the Iroquous confederacy and the Hurons.

That is clearly bullshit.

We all know Native Americans just rode around on their horses "counting coup" on each other - war for them was really more of a sport, to pass the time between their careful husbandry of the forest and occasional hunting of a deer or buffalo, which they scrupulously used all of for some purpose after asking the animals forgiveness for any pain they may have caused.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on September 09, 2014, 03:42:44 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2014, 03:38:56 PM
Now, in point of fact, some places were temporarily not inhabited when European colonization took place - mostly because of inter-native wars, such as the infamous war of extermination between the Iroquous confederacy and the Hurons.

That is clearly bullshit.

We all know Native Americans just rode around on their horses "counting coup" on each other - war for them was really more of a sport, to pass the time between their careful husbandry of the forest and occasional hunting of a deer or buffalo, which they scrupulously used all of for some purpose after asking the animals forgiveness for any pain they may have caused.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/245305510927148043/

;)