News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Analog TV shut off in the United States

Started by Caliga, June 12, 2009, 06:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Meanwhile,  I feel a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of old ladies suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly grumpy. I fear something terrible has happened.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

Hong Kong plans to do the same in 2011/12.  Already there are tons of complaints.

Brazen

It's been more gradual here. The Border regions went in 2008. Wales and the West Country this year. London hold out until 2012. For the Olympic viewing figures?

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on June 12, 2009, 06:46:59 AM
Meanwhile,  I feel a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of old ladies suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly grumpy. I fear something terrible has happened.  :(

Surely Oprah, Jerry, Geraldo et. al. have already told them what to do?  :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

It's been switched here in Austria last year or the year before, I think. I don't recall, because I use cable. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Most Channels did it in February anyway.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on June 12, 2009, 06:58:00 AM

Old people don't listen.  All they want to do is talk about the Depression and World War II.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

Well I have some sympathy.  I for one don't want to spend a lot of money just so I can keep watching whatever TV that I have been watching. 

saskganesh

rabbit ears populism forever. I still get six snowy channels. ;)
humans were created in their own image

DontSayBanana

Great. So it's official, my options are a dish that'll get glitchy whenever there's a thunderstorm (which is pretty common, since I live right on the riverfront) or to pay Comcast the prices those thugs demand, which is pretty ridiculous, considering most of what they do is a soft service. :angry:

I'm going to watch UHF in memory of broadcast television later. :weep:
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on June 12, 2009, 07:00:54 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 12, 2009, 06:58:00 AM

Old people don't listen.  All they want to do is talk about the Depression and World War II.

I don't think it is the old people who complain.  Over here, the poor complain the loudest.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on June 12, 2009, 07:24:37 AM
I don't think it is the old people who complain.  Over here, the poor complain the loudest.

I'm surprised more people haven't been bitching about it over here; the cable companies charge insane amounts of money, so traditionally, they've been bashed by pretty much most of the classes. Comcast's biggest selling point has been getting everything "onto one bill"- phone, internet, and television, but that bill is substantially higher than what you could get if you were to separate and shop around for phone providers and/or internet providers (unfortunately, they're the only cable provider in my region).
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on June 12, 2009, 07:00:54 AM

You should listen to them. You punk.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: saskganesh on June 12, 2009, 07:16:23 AM
rabbit ears populism forever. I still get six snowy channels. ;)

Atleast until august 31st 2011.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 12, 2009, 07:38:23 AM
I'm surprised more people haven't been bitching about it over here; the cable companies charge insane amounts of money, so traditionally, they've been bashed by pretty much most of the classes. Comcast's biggest selling point has been getting everything "onto one bill"- phone, internet, and television, but that bill is substantially higher than what you could get if you were to separate and shop around for phone providers and/or internet providers (unfortunately, they're the only cable provider in my region).
Well, I suppose those people who don't want to pay for cable/satellite will just have to watch broadcast television, then, just as they always have.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!