News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Analog TV shut off in the United States

Started by Caliga, June 12, 2009, 06:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 12, 2009, 07:19:05 AM
Great. So it's official, my options are a dish that'll get glitchy whenever there's a thunderstorm (which is pretty common, since I live right on the riverfront) or to pay Comcast the prices those thugs demand, which is pretty ridiculous, considering most of what they do is a soft service. :angry:

I'm going to watch UHF in memory of broadcast television later. :weep:

If you're in a poor reception area you can get an antenna that's specifically designed for the new frequencies.  The IEEE Spectrum had an article that explains what to look for (warning extreme nerdiness):

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/gadgets/antennas-for-the-new-airwaves

The dead trees version of the Spectrum had a chart with recommended antennae and their ranges.  If you live near a university you should check it out at their engineering library; it's in the February 2009 issue.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Caliga on June 12, 2009, 07:00:54 AM
Old people don't listen.  All they want to do is talk about the Depression and World War II.

At least they have something interesting to talk about.  Watching 9/11 on tv stories are gonna get tired quickly.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Savonarola on June 12, 2009, 08:16:32 AM
If you're in a poor reception area you can get an antenna that's specifically designed for the new frequencies.  The IEEE Spectrum had an article that explains what to look for (warning extreme nerdiness):

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/gadgets/antennas-for-the-new-airwaves

The dead trees version of the Spectrum had a chart with recommended antennae and their ranges.  If you live near a university you should check it out at their engineering library; it's in the February 2009 issue.

Not too :nerd: for me. At one point in time, I had the "pringles cantenna" instructions bookmarked, but just never got around to building it. ;)
Experience bij!

saskganesh

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 12, 2009, 07:54:32 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on June 12, 2009, 07:16:23 AM
rabbit ears populism forever. I still get six snowy channels. ;)

Atleast until august 31st 2011.

that's cool. I figure by then I should be able to get a lot of programming by free wireless anyway.
humans were created in their own image

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on June 12, 2009, 07:00:54 AMOld people don't listen.  All they want to do is talk about the Depression and World War II.
I wish they wanted to talk about those things, most refuse to.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

I'll tell you about the time I faced Charlie down at Da Nang.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

I remember analog TV. It was in the Beforetime, in the Long Long Ago.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

You're all behind the times.

We skipped broadcast tv altogether.  Everyone has cable or satellite.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2009, 11:19:43 AM

Yeah, well, some of us don't have a prosecutor's salary to throw away on entertainment.
Experience bij!

garbon

Of course some of us aren't poor, we just have different priorities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 12, 2009, 10:26:11 AM
I'll tell you about the time I faced Charlie down at Da Nang.
When I was in high school I had a friend who had a giant puffy scar on his elbow from this time he wiped out real bad on his bike.  He used to tell people he got the injury during the Tet Offensive.  You're probably that kid.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 12, 2009, 12:28:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2009, 11:19:43 AM

Yeah, well, some of us don't have a prosecutor's salary to throw away on entertainment.

No, I'm serious.  There is no broadcast tv in town.  At.  All.  Never had it.  Cable was more cost-effective than a transmitter by the time they got around to it in the 60s.

But everyone has cable or satellite.  Even the poor people.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Syt on June 12, 2009, 06:58:00 AM
Quote from: Caliga on June 12, 2009, 06:46:59 AM
Meanwhile,  I feel a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of old ladies suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly grumpy. I fear something terrible has happened.  :(

Surely Oprah, Jerry, Geraldo et. al. have already told them what to do?  :huh:

To say nothing of the aliens, who many not understand Geraldo and Oprah. They're going to think we all died. :(
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

lustindarkness

Analog? Digital? What change are you talking about? Why was this change not announced before? They had to give us time to get ready.  :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Since the prices finally went down to the value of the coupon, I finally used my 2 coupons to buy the converter boxes at Target a couple weeks ago. 

I have digital cable, so I don't *need* them, but they may come in handy if I ever need to fire up my old analog TVs for whatever reason (e.g., watching 3 different football games in the garage :) ).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall