Bárðabunga - the next unpronouncable Icelandic Volcano

Started by Viking, August 17, 2014, 10:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Speaking of which, apparently the creator of the IBC just drowned. Someone notify Alannis Morisette.

KRonn

Quote from: Liep on August 17, 2014, 05:23:49 PM
As long as the winds carry the ash clouds towards America this time I'm fine, but be warned that they'll take it as a sign of aggression.

:menace:  But I think the prevailing winds blow in the other direction. Ah well, could have added another state to the nation!   

Sheilbh

I was speaking to an Australian family who are going to Iceland on Tuesday to fulfil the dad's lifelong dream :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Seismic activity is very intense and ongoing and seems to slightly ratchet up every day. It's more likelier at this point than not that shit's going down.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

And as I read this thread, Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song starts playing on Spotify.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2014, 09:01:00 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 21, 2014, 08:24:33 AM
BTW, if you guys have seen Prometheus, the scene at the start where the engineer creates whatever, next to the waterfall.. well that place will be flooded if the glacial flood happens.

How can we accomplish this amazing feat?

Don't blame the location scout.

Legbiter

Liep

So how did all the flight tests they did in 2010 go? I mean, it's now up to the airlines to decide if they want to fly or not so I'm guessing we're not going to see the same amount of panic as back then no matter how badass the Bungabunga volcano is.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

At any rate, I have 2 trips planned within the next 2 weeks so it better stay the fuck under Dyngjujökull or whatever.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Legbiter

Quote from: Liep on August 23, 2014, 10:30:09 AM
So how did all the flight tests they did in 2010 go? I mean, it's now up to the airlines to decide if they want to fly or not so I'm guessing we're not going to see the same amount of panic as back then no matter how badass the Bungabunga volcano is.

The recommended intake of molten glass for aircraft engines is still zero so another eruption like Eyjafjallajökull would still shut down European airspace.

Eh, but this one is a small lava eruption under a tributary glacier of Bárðarbunga so I doubt anything except for local air traffic will be affected by the looks of things. Just another postcard eruption, not very badass.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 21, 2014, 05:19:06 PM
I was speaking to an Australian family who are going to Iceland on Tuesday to fulfil the dad's lifelong dream :(
Apparently they didn't get to go. They're in Belgium instead. Which is noone's lifelong dream :(
Let's bomb Russia!

citizen k

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 26, 2014, 04:41:55 PM
Apparently they didn't get to go. They're in Belgium instead. Which is noone's lifelong dream :(

Not even Belgians.

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 26, 2014, 04:41:55 PM
Apparently they didn't get to go. They're in Belgium instead.

:o :weep:

Legbiter

There's a small eruption ongoing close to Bárðarbunga but it's not badass.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████