Bárðabunga - the next unpronouncable Icelandic Volcano

Started by Viking, August 17, 2014, 10:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Legbiter on August 20, 2014, 05:06:48 AM
The area immediately north of the seismic activity has been evacuated, everybody's battened down the hatches and now we wait to see if the damn thing dosen't calm down. I was going to go to Grágæsadalur with gramps and the boys on Friday but the whole area is a no-go for now.  :hmm:

Well not many people live in that part of the country.... fortunately....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Is there a part of the country where many people live? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2014, 11:22:00 AM
Is there a part of the country where many people live? :hmm:

Black bits are population density above 10 per sq km.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Is that a wee island full of people I spy off the south west coast? Interesting.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on August 20, 2014, 12:10:14 PM
Is that a wee island full of people I spy off the south west coast? Interesting.

this place

Malthus

My parents claim that large numbers of people in Iceland believe in the literal existence of elves and trolls (not the internet kind  ;) ).

Is this true, or bullshit?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on August 20, 2014, 02:29:21 PM
My parents claim that large numbers of people in Iceland believe in the literal existence of elves and trolls (not the internet kind  ;) ).

It's a game we play for the tourists. But there are still people alive who belive.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on August 20, 2014, 02:30:35 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 20, 2014, 02:29:21 PM

It's a game we play for the tourists. But there are still people alive who belive.

I more or less suspected they were being had.  :D

They did the tourist thing last year. They enjoyed it a lot.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

For some reason Icelandair has started a direct Edmonton-Rejkjavik flight (with the idea you then take a connecting flight to anywhere in Europe), but now a bunch of people I know are going to Iceland. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Found an alternative cabin in the area where the chance of death by glacial flashflood is minimal. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 07:46:36 AM
Iceland's response to the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Dunk the entire country in ice water.

BTW, if you guys have seen Prometheus, the scene at the start where the engineer creates whatever, next to the waterfall.. well that place will be flooded if the glacial flood happens.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 21, 2014, 08:24:33 AM

BTW, if you guys have seen Prometheus, the scene at the start where the engineer creates whatever, next to the waterfall.. well that place will be flooded if the glacial flood happens.

How can we accomplish this amazing feat?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on August 21, 2014, 08:24:33 AM

Can we ensure that the makers of Prometheus are there when this happens?  :hmm: