News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another stupid science question!

Started by Razgovory, August 14, 2014, 07:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Another thing I was pondering and it's a bit over my head.  This one might be over the heads of some the people here in fact.  It has to do with the beginning of the universe. (Viking this isn't me showing my true colors as a creationist or something).  I've heard numbers thrown around about the age of the universe.  This is around a dozen billion years.  Now my understanding is that time and space are the same thing and altering one alters the other.  For instance if you warp space by piling up a bunch of matter it can change time for that area.  Very fast movement through space can also change how time moves for moving object.  So when the Universe began it was fairly small and has gotten larger over a period of time.  Wouldn't the changing size of space itself also alter how time flows?  Wouldn't the way time passes 10 billion years ago be different then how it passes now?  And if so, how do you give a meaningful age of the universe?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Who gives a shit, the Russians got their uplink reestablished with the space geckos.  So it appears they can't kill every animal they put into space.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2014, 07:58:45 PM
Who gives a shit, the Russians got their uplink reestablished with the space geckos.  So it appears they can't kill every animal they put into space.

Okay... there's that.  Not quite the answer I was expecting, but thanks for contributing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grinning_Colossus

r/askscience would probably give you a better answer.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 14, 2014, 08:16:27 PM
r/askscience would probably give you a better answer.

And then you would be on reddit which is an auto-fail condition.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

The speed of light in a vacuum is constant. Age can be relevant relative to that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

frunk

The age of the universe is measured in a few different ways, and they generally agree on the result.  Changes in time due to gravitation or velocity are always in relation to somewhere else.  If you are at the bottom of a gravity well time won't seem any different to you.  It will only be noticeable when you compare your clocks with someone outside the well (which is how it was experimentally confirmed).  One of the methods of determining the minimum age of the universe is to look at the oldest stars and see how old they are.  It's possible that there may have been all sorts of relativistic effects on the star, but since these effects only slow time relative to other frames the universe has to be at least as old as the oldest star.  If you can get multiple old stars in different locations it further improves the estimate.

The main method used now analyzes the cosmic background radiation, remnants from the earliest observable period of the universe.  This radiation is incredibly uniform in all directions, which indicates either that it is mostly free from relativistic effects or that any such effects were applied to all of it (presumably from the earliest moments of the universe).  In fact the small variations in the background radiation can be used to determine gravitational influences.

Siege

What do you mean by 12 billion years?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Why are my posts waiting approval by a moderator?

Siege

Do you want me to wear a yellow star too?

Razgovory

I do know about time dilation with large bodies, but what I was thinking about was that since time is a function of space, if space was a different size wouldn't time also change?   If the whole universe was functioning under some time dilation of the first billion years wouldn't that throw our understanding off?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Siege on August 14, 2014, 09:31:55 PM
Why are my posts waiting approval by a moderator?

Because there are 7th grade Japanese schoolgirls that can handle their alcohol better than you can.  I'm tired of having to clean up your vomit when you hit the Zimas.  Fucking lightweight.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2014, 09:41:02 PM
I do know about time dilation with large bodies, but what I was thinking about was that since time is a function of space, if space was a different size wouldn't time also change?   If the whole universe was functioning under some time dilation of the first billion years wouldn't that throw our understanding off?

I'm definitely not the expert on this stuff, but I think time dilation is a concept for measuring the difference in observed time between two bodies--it wouldn't be relevant for a single body (the universe).

I googled the definition of a unit of time: The official SI definition of the second is as follows:

The second is the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

So unless that has changed, there you have it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

frunk

Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2014, 09:41:02 PM

It would throw our understanding off how?  The calculated age of the universe is based on several different types of measurements.  Any time dilation would have to effect them all equally, in which case it probably isn't observable from within our universe.  There is no "external to the universe" clock that we have access to, in order to see the extent of time dilation.  All time measurements are based on being in the universe and are therefore based on "universe" time, all time dilation measurements are relative to a different frame that is not experiencing the dilation.  If everything is experiencing the dilation there's nothing to compare it to.

Viking

Raz, the answer is "time appears to behave differently". Time isn't an absolute thing, it is a product of our observations about things changing. There isn't some big "T" time that is affected by a big "S" space, they are the same thing. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.