Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on July 09, 2016, 11:21:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2016, 09:15:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2016, 06:35:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2016, 05:01:58 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2016, 04:41:37 PM
Yes, the burden of affecting change to ensure not being murdered by the police falls on them.  Of course.

Somebody has to do it, it's not like the police are stepping up to the plate.  The problem with BLM is the same problem with other contemporary movements (Occupy Wall Street, and to some extent the Tea Party), the refusal or inability to appoint leaders.  With out leaders, they lack direction, planning, and most importantly: discrete goals.  It's all very well to say cops need to stop killing black kids, but you meed some ideas to address the problem.  How do you get from A-B-C-D?

True. I wonder why they have been unable to solve a social ill that has afflicted America since its beginnings.

As far as I know police officers firing on black citizens was not a major problem in the 1790's.
you make a point to take everything literrally? :)

Garbon was being trite.  I can be trite right back.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Hey you're the one wanting some 20 and 30 somethings to solve issues that countless generations of Americans have been unable/unwilling to fix.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I really don't get how anybody can be all bent out of shape people peacefully protesting about this issue. I mean I know we had that one nutcase in Dallas but he was clearly a crazy person. Read his Facebook shit, dude thought white people were all out there poaching endangered species in Africa.

Hell I wish they would clog up all the streets. Maybe the police fraternity can start turning against these out of control bad apples once they see how destabilizing this is and how much more work it provides them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2016, 11:12:36 AM

Hell I wish they would clog up all the streets. Maybe the police fraternity can start turning against these out of control bad apples once they see how destabilizing this is and how much more work it provides them.

Do you really think that would help?!?  Peaceful protest sure, but I think what you're suggesting would simply elevate tensions, not help find solutions.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on July 10, 2016, 11:24:30 AM
Do you really think that would help?!?  Peaceful protest sure, but I think what you're suggesting would simply elevate tensions, not help find solutions.

I might have been speaking out of emotion there :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 10, 2016, 05:20:08 AM
Hey you're the one wanting some 20 and 30 somethings to solve issues that countless generations of Americans have been unable/unwilling to fix.

I was under the impression that they wanted to solve these issues, after all, they are part of the movement.  Just to be clear, what issues are we talking about?  I can count fairly high, so I'm a little unsure when you throw in the word "countless".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Hmm, I thought generation of the 60's civil rights movement did well. Recently the LGbt movement folks are doing well. I'm sure there other example.

If you want it, go get it. Just don't flap about it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

https://www.statista.com/chart/5211/us-citizens-killed-by-police-2016/

In the U.S. a total of 509 citizens have been killed this year alone by police. The body count for the previous year stands at a grand total of 990 people shot dead, according to the Washington Post. As the below infographic shows, most of those killed by police are male and white. 123 of those shot were Black Americans. This is a relatively high share, keeping in mind that close to 13 percent of Americans belong to that ethnic group.

What's also disturbing is that according to the data compiled by the Washington Post a big proportion of those killed obviously showed signs of mental illness. Of the 509 killed this year at least 124 were thought to be suffering from such conditions. Many of those killed carried guns according to police records. In at least 22 cases officers mistook toy guns for the real thing.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

11B4V

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 10, 2016, 03:31:35 PM
https://www.statista.com/chart/5211/us-citizens-killed-by-police-2016/

In the U.S. a total of 509 citizens have been killed this year alone by police. The body count for the previous year stands at a grand total of 990 people shot dead, according to the Washington Post. As the below infographic shows, most of those killed by police are male and white. 123 of those shot were Black Americans. This is a relatively high share, keeping in mind that close to 13 percent of Americans belong to that ethnic group.

What's also disturbing is that according to the data compiled by the Washington Post a big proportion of those killed obviously showed signs of mental illness. Of the 509 killed this year at least 124 were thought to be suffering from such conditions. Many of those killed carried guns according to police records. In at least 22 cases officers mistook toy guns for the real thing.

Not buying it and calling BS. What's the per capita results buy population numbers and ethnic groups. IOW whats the total population numbers of white and black and the percentage of police shooting deaths for each. I think you will find blacks are killed at a higher percentage.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

LaCroix

I'm sure blacks are killed at a higher percentage. that's not necessarily a result of systematic racism (edit) -- systematic racism in police departments

MadImmortalMan

Well it does say that blacks are killed at a higher rate than their share of the population.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

The Brain

WTF some cops use toy weapons? Props to the 35 Blue Lees though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Quote from: 11B4V on July 10, 2016, 02:28:16 PM
Hmm, I thought generation of the 60's civil rights movement did well.

This is historical hindsight. It has polished all asperities of a movement that was similarly divided, messy, conflicted in its goals, full of unsavory people, etc. The kind of discourse you are holding now was similarly held in the 60s: if only they were protesting "properly".

Conversely, the fact that you now ignore the current grassroot movements, and organizations taking place at a local level does not mean they do not exist, and are not pushing for action in a variety of ways which, I would warrant, are escaping your notice.
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on July 10, 2016, 02:28:16 PM
Hmm, I thought generation of the 60's civil rights movement did well. Recently the LGbt movement folks are doing well. I'm sure there other example.

If you want it, go get it. Just don't flap about it.

Dude, what the fuck is there to GET?  This isn't about voting rights, or additional funding for school systems, or better access to public transportation;  this is about law enforcement officers willfully and intentionally not following ESTABLISHED POLICIES, PROCEDURES, TRAINING AND CODES OF CONDUCT in the unnecessary killing of unarmed individuals, of whom a disproportionate number are minorities and a criminal justice system that rarely charges these officers, let alone send them to jail.

You fucking know this. Fuck. You know these cops are doing it wrong.  But it's the community that has to "go and get it" or shut the fuck up about it?  Really?

Fucking asshole.