The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 12:39:10 PM
That's bullshit. But whatever.

Okay, maybe you're not one of them but I keep hearing from a lot of woke people that all white people are racist (and fragile, I guess).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 12:43:43 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2020, 12:42:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2020, 12:32:19 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2020, 11:44:06 AM
Saw a video of a dude with an AR that was getting rushed by rioters, almost like a zombie movie.  They had him on the ground and one rioter went to jump kick him.  Looks like he was a bit panicky with the shots he got off, but I guess his own life was on the line at that point.  Looked like he had been trying to get away from them.

Ugly situation :(

If he was trying to get away from them why did he show up with a rifle?

Because they were chasing him and trying to get his rifle?

:hmm:

They chased him from his house to the protests to get his rifle? :huh:

No.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2020, 12:42:43 PM
Because they were chasing him and trying to get his rifle?

If he was just walking around minding his own business and mob attacked him to grab his rifle that would indeed be a bad situation.

But I don't know how much of the context we know, or what everybody agrees on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I know that's not how Meri means it but it is kind of racist to consider her black friends and whites as separate group to the extent that she feels obliged to apologise on behalf of her group.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

It does appear from multiple reports that the video of rifle guy running down the street occurred after victim 1 was shot in the head.

What is not yet clear is the circumstances of victim 1's shooting - was he shot because in the process of allegedly committing acts of vandalism of property or because he directly threatened the shooter or was some other circumstance at play?

Either way I concur with what I presume is Raz's point: that it is a bad idea for armed vigilantes to take to the streets in response to a "call to arms".  It sucks that there are acts of vandalism going on but vigilantism is not the answer.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2020, 12:45:38 PM

Okay, maybe you're not one of them but I keep hearing from a lot of woke people that all white people are racist (and fragile, I guess).

It's pretty much impossible to grow up in the United States and not be racist. Unconscious bias, at the absolute minimum, should be a given for every white person in the US. And being challenged on that has shown a hell of a lot of fragile egos, yes.

Again, back to showing that whites are no longer allowed to be the default causing issues for some of those whites.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on August 26, 2020, 12:48:58 PM
I know that's not how Meri means it but it is kind of racist to consider her black friends and whites as separate group to the extent that she feels obliged to apologise on behalf of her group.

Is it racist to understand that each group of friends are living a very different reality?

I'd think it would be more generous to say, "I get that I don't fully understand what you have to deal with, but I do recognize that people of my race are making things more difficult for you, and for that, I'm sorry."

Tonitrus

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 12:57:49 PM

It's pretty much impossible to grow up in the United States and not be racist. Unconscious bias, at the absolute minimum, should be a given for every white person in the US. And being challenged on that has shown a hell of a lot of fragile egos, yes.

I think the issue is that there are many who don't agree with the first assertion...but their disagreement, even if honest and well intentioned (e.g. not just a "nuh uh") is simply dismissed as a "fragile egos", and any attempt at honest debate is then pretty much shut down.

And when the potential for honest debate is shut down...well, here we all are.

merithyn

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 26, 2020, 01:02:56 PM

I think the issue is that there are many who don't agree with the first assertion...but their disagreement, even if honest and well intentioned (e.g. not just a "nuh uh") is simply dismissed as a "fragile egos", and any attempt at honest debate is then pretty much shut down.

That's fair. Honest debate is a lost art across many of these discussions at the best of times, and these are not the best of times.

Tonitrus

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 01:05:03 PM

That's fair. Honest debate is a lost art across many of these discussions at the best of times, and these are not the best of times.

Obviously everything in these arguments are far more nuanced than even I laid out...but the way our society seems to work today, no one wants to take the time to sit down and honestly explore/discuss those nuances.  Too many people see to just to want to have their simple arguments/answers and to blow sirens in each others faces, chant simplistic slogans, or carry around a rifle and wear a MAGA hat.

I am just about ready to retire and find a secluded cabin out in the wilderness or an an island somewhere.  Or maybe just live on a boat.  :sleep:  :P

merithyn

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 26, 2020, 01:11:49 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 01:05:03 PM

Obviously everything in these arguments are far more nuanced than even I laid out...but the way our society seems to work today, no one wants to take the time to sit down and honestly explore/discuss those nuances.  Too many people see to just to want to have their simple arguments/answers and to blow sirens in each others faces, chant simplistic slogans, or carry around a rifle and wear a MAGA hat.

I am just about ready to retire and find a secluded cabin out in the wilderness or an an island somewhere.  Or maybe just live on a boat.  :sleep:  :P

We should talk about those boat houses. I've been on one, and even looked at them once. There are concerns with living on one, but I'm sure you're aware. :D

The Minsky Moment

Kenosha shooter in custody.  Apparently 17 yo kid from Illinois. Wisconsin has requested extradition on a 1st degree homicide charge.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 01:18:13 PM

We should talk about those boat houses. I've been on one, and even looked at them once. There are concerns with living on one, but I'm sure you're aware. :D

Yeah, I am pretty skeptical about floating homes...in this particular reference, I am referring to an actual boat...just cruising around the planet in splendid isolation.  :P

Valmy

Eh it is...complicated. But the fragility part comes from taking all this stuff personally.

While I have lots of woke people in my social circles I have never explicitly heard the "all white people are racist" thing though sometimes somebody will say something really idiotic. Granted maybe the ones who DO think all white people are racists may just not want to spend time with the likes of me :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."