The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2020, 04:33:24 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 24, 2020, 06:10:19 PM
I admit that I don't know a lot about how police are trained, or what they're taught regarding conflict resolution. So I have questions.

If it's determined that the major issue with why police respond with deadly force more often than we'd like is due to how they're trained, how long would it take for any real change to happen? For instance, I think the general sentiment is that police are taught to always be on the look out to avoid being shot, so they are always on the defense. If the training changes to more conflict resolution as the first and best option, how long before we would see the rewards of that training?

I mean, if cops are taught to always be on guard, a handful of classes on conflict resolution isn't going to fix that way of thinking in a week, a month, or even a year, I wouldn't think. We've been training our officers this way for decades. Seedy had talked about it from when he was on the force 30 years ago. On top of that, we've militarized them, which has also given them a defensive posture instead of a conciliatory one.

But it won't be fixed overnight. So what is enough now? What is the recommendation to get us over this hump and fewer people killed while this new training - assuming its implemented - actually impacts citizens?

Can't say that Seedy didn't see this coming.  He said those idiots would get him killed or in jail and he was 100%.

Still his common line. He hates the whole system for exactly this reason.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Josquius

Pff. Such idiots. Thats a few points for Trump
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on August 26, 2020, 04:26:43 AM
White allies...

TBF the article says some black lady asked the whites in the crowd to step out in front, but yeah this story and picture was like free Trump campaign ad work.

Meanwhile in Wisconsin 3 protesters shot each other following an altercation between them, one of them died. I guess a mob is a mob no matter what cause they gather for.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: merithyn on August 24, 2020, 06:10:19 PM
I admit that I don't know a lot about how police are trained, or what they're taught regarding conflict resolution. So I have questions.

If it's determined that the major issue with why police respond with deadly force more often than we'd like is due to how they're trained, how long would it take for any real change to happen? For instance, I think the general sentiment is that police are taught to always be on the look out to avoid being shot, so they are always on the defense. If the training changes to more conflict resolution as the first and best option, how long before we would see the rewards of that training?

I mean, if cops are taught to always be on guard, a handful of classes on conflict resolution isn't going to fix that way of thinking in a week, a month, or even a year, I wouldn't think. We've been training our officers this way for decades. Seedy had talked about it from when he was on the force 30 years ago. On top of that, we've militarized them, which has also given them a defensive posture instead of a conciliatory one.

But it won't be fixed overnight. So what is enough now? What is the recommendation to get us over this hump and fewer people killed while this new training - assuming its implemented - actually impacts citizens?

FWIW I have a friend (ex Israeli army) who used to do non-lethal training with local PDs.  His impression is that some cops were quick to pull the firearm because they lacked confidence in their physical ability to control a situation without quickly escalating to the threat of lethal force.

To be fair it is not an easy job.  However, the simple truth is that the job is protecting the public and that public includes suspects.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maximus

Quote from: Tamas on August 26, 2020, 05:03:12 AM

Meanwhile in Wisconsin 3 protesters shot each other following an altercation between them, one of them died. I guess a mob is a mob no matter what cause they gather for.
Are you talking about the militia member who shot 3 protesters?

Tamas

Quote from: Maximus on August 26, 2020, 11:23:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 26, 2020, 05:03:12 AM

Are you talking about the militia member who shot 3 protesters?

Actually yes. I made the mistake of reading a Hungarian news about it which was translated in a very retarded way.

derspiess

Saw a video of a dude with an AR that was getting rushed by rioters, almost like a zombie movie.  They had him on the ground and one rioter went to jump kick him.  Looks like he was a bit panicky with the shots he got off, but I guess his own life was on the line at that point.  Looked like he had been trying to get away from them.

Ugly situation :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2020, 11:44:06 AM
Saw a video of a dude with an AR that was getting rushed by rioters, almost like a zombie movie.  They had him on the ground and one rioter went to jump kick him.  Looks like he was a bit panicky with the shots he got off, but I guess his own life was on the line at that point.  Looked like he had been trying to get away from them.

Or at least felt like his life was on the line, which is probable in a situation like that.

The whole situation is disastrous. Decades of unaddressed problems coming home to roost.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on August 26, 2020, 04:26:43 AM
White allies...

They've been a nightmare throughout this whole thing in Portland. My friends who have been marching downtown have said that every fire set, every bottle thrown at police, all began with white allies. It's only a handful of witnesses, but it's still rather damning, and agrees with the independent reporters who've been there since the beginning.

It seems that white people really have no idea how to just take a fucking back seat and let others drive the bus. I don't even know how to apologize anymore. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

There is really no point in apologizing on behalf of other people who aren't sorry.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2020, 11:46:23 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2020, 11:44:06 AM

Or at least felt like his life was on the line, which is probable in a situation like that.

The whole situation is disastrous. Decades of unaddressed problems coming home to roost.

When a guy is trying to stomp your head into the pavement, I think it's safe to say your life is on the line.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2020, 11:49:32 AM
When a guy is trying to stomp your head into the pavement, I think it's safe to say your life is on the line.

Sure.