The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2020, 11:49:32 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2020, 11:46:23 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2020, 11:44:06 AM
Saw a video of a dude with an AR that was getting rushed by rioters, almost like a zombie movie.  They had him on the ground and one rioter went to jump kick him.  Looks like he was a bit panicky with the shots he got off, but I guess his own life was on the line at that point.  Looked like he had been trying to get away from them.

Ugly situation :(

Or at least felt like his life was on the line, which is probable in a situation like that.

The whole situation is disastrous. Decades of unaddressed problems coming home to roost.

When a guy is trying to stomp your head into the pavement, I think it's safe to say your life is on the line.

And honestly, we've seen what happens in those situations. People have died, or been grievously injured.

I wonder if this will push the militia away, or make them come out in force now. If they do, it's going to get uglier before it gets better.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

But what if your life is on the line because you shot someone in the head moments before?

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on August 26, 2020, 11:57:21 AM
But what if your life is on the line because you shot someone in the head moments before?

Is that what happened? I haven't read the reports.

Tamas

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 11:47:13 AM

It seems that white people really have no idea how to just take a fucking back seat and let others drive the bus. I don't even know how to apologize anymore. :(

Why would you have to apologise? If we went around apologising for everyone of our skin colour doing something bad we would have time for nothing else, and that includes all possible skin colours.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 11:58:13 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 26, 2020, 11:57:21 AM

Is that what happened? I haven't read the reports.
You can't be 100% sure so soon after the incident, especially given the lack of neutral observers, but from what I understand, he shot a guy in the head in the car dealership.  Afterwards the crowd gave chase to catch the shooter, and that's where that footage with him falling and shooting starts.  One of the dead was already shot in the head before the camera starts rolling.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2020, 11:48:34 AM
There is really no point in apologizing on behalf of other people who aren't sorry.

Quote from: Tamas on August 26, 2020, 12:00:49 PM

It seems that white people really have no idea how to just take a fucking back seat and let others drive the bus. I don't even know how to apologize anymore. :(

Why would you have to apologise? If we went around apologising for everyone of our skin colour doing something bad we would have time for nothing else, and that includes all possible skin colours.

I have a number of friends of color who are directly involved with the protests. They talk about the problems they're facing, and I feel obligated to apologize for the idiots of my race who are making a mess of things. Maybe I shouldn't, but it feels like the right thing to do under the circumstances.

DGuller

A whole other angle to this story is open complicity of police with the militia.  It scares me that they're not afraid to be open like that.

derspiess

Whiteness seems to be the new original sin.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Saw a video of a dude with an AR that was getting rushed by rioters, almost like a zombie movie.  They had him on the ground and one rioter went to jump kick him.  Looks like he was a bit panicky with the shots he got off, but I guess his own life was on the line at that point.  Looked like he had been trying to get away from them.

If he was trying to get away from them why did he show up with a rifle?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 12:04:35 PM
I have a number of friends of color who are directly involved with the protests. They talk about the problems they're facing, and I feel obligated to apologize for the idiots of my race who are making a mess of things. Maybe I shouldn't, but it feels like the right thing to do under the circumstances.

I do to and I understand the desire to apologize but remember you really have no ability to apologize on behalf of people who are probably not sorry. Being sympathetic is another thing. We are all sorry for these issues inflicting these communities, but that is different from apologizing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2020, 12:30:04 PM

That's bullshit. But whatever.

Valmy

I rather think it is more like identifying that way so somehow feeling part of a group of people just because they kind of look like you. I think we all do it to some extent, even when we rationally know that is misplaced.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2020, 12:32:19 PM

Because they were chasing him and trying to get his rifle?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2020, 12:40:08 PM

I rather think it is more like identifying that way so somehow feeling part of a group of people just because they kind of look like you. I think we all do it to some extent, even when we rationally know that is misplaced.

It's more that whiteness is no longer being allowed to be the default, and that's insulting to many whites.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2020, 12:42:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2020, 12:32:19 PM

Because they were chasing him and trying to get his rifle?

:hmm:

They chased him from his house to the protests to get his rifle? :huh: