The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2020, 09:37:47 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2020, 08:10:11 AM
Also speaking at the RNC - the student who went viral with the Native American protester.

Basically all grievances, all the time.

Given what they have to work with, the Republicans probably realize (now, as in every election since 2000) that they can't get elected based on "I'm better than my opponent," so they go for "my opponent is worse than me."

My real introduction to the modern Republican party occurred during the 2000 presidential primary.  I worked for the McCain campaign as a volunteer, and we were all gung-ho after winning New Hampshire handily.  Then, just before the South Carolina primary, the Bush campaign unloaded its bullshit dumpster, spreading claims that McCain had fathered a black child out of wedlock (he and his wife had adopted a Bangladeshi orphan), that his Navy medical records were sealed because they showed that he'd been mentally disturbed since his POW days, and that his wife was unfit to become first lady because she was a drug addict.  All f this was disproven, but too late for the vote, and McCain lost South Carolina.  The Shrubbery denied any involvement in these smears, of course, but I don't think anyone believed them.  When McCain dropped out of the race, I dropped out of the Republican Party.

Yeah I protest voted that year for Ralph Nader I was so mad, the only time I have ever protest voted. I was a big McCain supporter as well.

It was weird. Dubya never did that shit in Texas. It always hard to square the guy he was as governor, and the guy he seems to be now, with what he did as President and during his campaigns.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 18, 2020, 09:20:23 AM
Also speaking at the RNC - the student who went viral with the Native American protester.

Just need some "very fine people" to talk about their Confederate "heritage" of Bedford Forrest statues and it will be complete.
In a weird way it feels like the sort of logical conclusion (not a conclusion) of the whole Joe the Plumber thing.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2020, 10:40:31 AM
It was weird. Dubya never did that shit in Texas. It always hard to square the guy he was as governor, and the guy he seems to be now, with what he did as President and during his campaigns.

I think he was mixing with a different crowd as a presidential candidate and president.  He may have been personally decent, but his administration was a horror show.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2020, 11:29:53 AM
I think he was mixing with a different crowd as a presidential candidate and president.  He may have been personally decent, but his administration was a horror show.
Yeah I often see people on the left being really angry with his sort of absolution post-Presidency into this nice painting man.

But I think in a way there's nothing more damning than the fact that this former President is entirely politically neutral. He has no influence on the Democrats and no influence on the Republicans. It's hard to imagine anyone announcing that they're receiving his advice in the way you might Bush I or Reagan or Clinton or Obama. It reminds me of Carter. His political legacy is so damaged that all you have left is that he's a fundamentally decent human being who does good charity work/paints pictures of veterans.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2020, 09:37:47 AM

Given what they have to work with, the Republicans probably realize (now, as in every election since 2000) that they can't get elected based on "I'm better than my opponent," so they go for "my opponent is worse than me."

My real introduction to the modern Republican party occurred during the 2000 presidential primary.  I worked for the McCain campaign as a volunteer, and we were all gung-ho after winning New Hampshire handily.  Then, just before the South Carolina primary, the Bush campaign unloaded its bullshit dumpster, spreading claims that McCain had fathered a black child out of wedlock (he and his wife had adopted a Bangladeshi orphan), that his Navy medical records were sealed because they showed that he'd been mentally disturbed since his POW days, and that his wife was unfit to become first lady because she was a drug addict.  All f this was disproven, but too late for the vote, and McCain lost South Carolina.  The Shrubbery denied any involvement in these smears, of course, but I don't think anyone believed them.  When McCain dropped out of the race, I dropped out of the Republican Party.

Yeah, that was absolute bullshit.  I voted for McCain.  I think that may have been my first election.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2020, 11:29:53 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2020, 10:40:31 AM

Herbert Walker was also decent but willing to use scummy operators like Atwater to get elected. He may have sought to govern through consensus but he got elected off of Willie Horton.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2020, 08:12:16 AM

I have no idea who that is.

Sounds like that Catholic school kid in front of the Supreme Court.

Josquius

I've noticed hard right people seem to think the George Floyd bodycam footage completely backs up their side.
Any idea of their attempts at logic here?
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on August 18, 2020, 06:03:25 PM
I've noticed hard right people seem to think the George Floyd bodycam footage completely backs up their side.
It all comes down to racial animus.

Don't think too hard about it
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

The relationship between resisting arrest and use of force by the police.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2020, 08:53:03 PM

You're thinking too hard!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I don't think most people had a problem with him being subdued it was the whole suffocated for 8+ minutes thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2020, 08:53:03 PM

My interpretation is that their argument is that if you don't comply with police orders and are not completely subservient, everything they do to you is your own fault. And if you've committed a crime or have prior convictions you have no rights anyways.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2020, 11:36:45 AM

But I think in a way there's nothing more damning than the fact that this former President is entirely politically neutral.

That is exemplary bahviour.  Not inteferring with the work of your successors, etc. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on August 18, 2020, 11:48:33 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2020, 11:36:45 AM

But I think in a way there's nothing more damning than the fact that this former President is entirely politically neutral.

That is exemplary bahviour.  Not inteferring with the work of your successors, etc. 

Hell you probably think politics should be non-political.

But usually ex Presidents are brought out to help future Presidential nominees from their parties, not to interfere with the work of their successors typically. Most of politics has jack to do with the work of government or administrative policy :P

However the Republicans and their nominees do not bring Dubya out to help their cause...pretty damning.