The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2020, 09:07:07 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 13, 2020, 08:15:08 AM
I'm still waiting on his clarifying answers to my questions.
Quote from: 11B4V on August 12, 2020, 10:48:32 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2020, 09:40:46 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 12, 2020, 08:17:16 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2020, 12:12:11 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 11, 2020, 11:18:19 PM
So did he or didnt  point gun at someone? Trying to get the straight story.

It is a he said/he said type situation. Witnesses say he didn't, the shooter said the guy did. Probably not going to get a straight story.

But is pointing your weapon at somebody mean you are fair game to be killed? But if you did it accidentally?

You tell me on the first question.

Accidentally? How does the other person know this?

So if somebody points a gun at you, you are just going to open up?

What's their intentions?

Is this your clarifying question? You don't know just some dude waiving his weapon around.

Your earlier question was about someone who has pointed a gun at someone else.  Now you seem to be moving the goalpost to "just some dude waiving his weapon around."  In the former, you can reasonably be in fear of imminent death, and can defend yourself.  In the latter case, you aren't and can't.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on August 13, 2020, 12:09:30 PM

If you have a reasonable fear for your life, yes.

And what better way to instill fear, and put your life in danger, than carry a gun around?

That kind of proves my point really.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2020, 12:17:30 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 13, 2020, 12:09:30 PM

If you have a reasonable fear for your life, yes.

And what better way to instill fear, and put your life in danger, than carry a gun around?

That kind of proves my point really.

There's probably better ways to instill fear than pointing your gun at a stranger under conditions that make him or her believe that you intend to fire, but there aren't many such ways.

Carrying a weapon openly is going to help create those conditions of fear, but you can't legally be shot just for carrying and thus causing fear.  The threat must be imminent.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

What a caricature the Gop has become. Forget the dog-whistle, it's a bullhorn.

garbon

It is hard to see how there is anything worth saving in such a party.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on August 13, 2020, 12:28:28 PM
There's probably better ways to instill fear than pointing your gun at a stranger under conditions that make him or her believe that you intend to fire, but there aren't many such ways.

Carrying a weapon openly is going to help create those conditions of fear, but you can't legally be shot just for carrying and thus causing fear.  The threat must be imminent.

Maybe carrying a gun might make somebody think the threat is imminent :hmm: That might be enough.

The distinction seems rather arbitrary.

Sheilbh

Also speaking at the RNC - the student who went viral with the Native American protester.

Basically all grievances, all the time.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2020, 08:10:11 AM
Also speaking at the RNC - the student who went viral with the Native American protester.

I have no idea who that is.

But this is very populist and shows how they are not for having better ideas for America but mobilizing their supporters against their ideological enemies: other citizens of the United States. People like me. Well how comforting.

Eddie Teach

That one makes sense, in an opportunistic way. The gun-pointing lawyers, though... What's next, Robert Zimmerman?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2020, 08:05:32 AM
Maybe carrying a gun might make somebody think the threat is imminent :hmm: That might be enough.

The distinction seems rather arbitrary.

The distinction is absolutely as arbitrary as any other motive, yet we've been using the "reasonable person" standard in criminal law for a long time.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

With all the Republicans worth listening to backing Biden or backing away from Trump, that is pretty much all they have left.

The Minsky Moment

Just need some "very fine people" to talk about their Confederate "heritage" of Bedford Forrest statues and it will be complete.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Given what they have to work with, the Republicans probably realize (now, as in every election since 2000) that they can't get elected based on "I'm better than my opponent," so they go for "my opponent is worse than me."

My real introduction to the modern Republican party occurred during the 2000 presidential primary.  I worked for the McCain campaign as a volunteer, and we were all gung-ho after winning New Hampshire handily.  Then, just before the South Carolina primary, the Bush campaign unloaded its bullshit dumpster, spreading claims that McCain had fathered a black child out of wedlock (he and his wife had adopted a Bangladeshi orphan), that his Navy medical records were sealed because they showed that he'd been mentally disturbed since his POW days, and that his wife was unfit to become first lady because she was a drug addict.  All f this was disproven, but too late for the vote, and McCain lost South Carolina.  The Shrubbery denied any involvement in these smears, of course, but I don't think anyone believed them.  When McCain dropped out of the race, I dropped out of the Republican Party.

Bayraktar!