The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Fun gag - it must be a southern thing, they probably teach it in Boy Scouts.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on June 25, 2020, 12:40:53 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2020, 07:45:31 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 23, 2020, 06:44:13 PM
No charges in noose case.

Yep.  It was there long before Wallace was assigned (last week) to that garage.  It's a loop that looks like a noose, but not a noose, and it's on the end of the garage door pull-down rope.

It's a pretty noose-looking loop, though.  :wacko:

Yep, and I am willing to bet that someone thought that that would be a "cute" way to handle the excess rope.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on June 25, 2020, 01:59:05 PM
Fun gag - it must be a southern thing, they probably teach it in Boy Scouts.

They taught us that making a noose was illegal in the state of Missouri.  They still showed us how. Maybe so we could untie it if we came across one.  Sadly, noose tying along with every other sort of knot tying was beyond me.  I only learned to tie my shoes in middle school and I'm still kind of iffy on it.  I don't know why I couldn't do stuff like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on June 24, 2020, 07:10:35 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 24, 2020, 01:44:24 AM
2 to take the deposition and inspect video cameras would have been sufficient.  I would think 15 agents is reserved for when a case needs to pursue a lot of leads in tracking down fugitive(s)/culprit(s).

So you, with your vast experience in investigations, would conclude that two was the right number and 15 would not be needed because this case didn't have lots of leads to track down?

Sure.  That's totally credible. 

NOT

I know all the Kool Kids love to sneer at law enforcement and pretend they could do better, but try not to let your ass show so much, mkay?
Ok, how many agents does it take to begin an investigation?
You need some techs to gather prints/dna, but why 15 agents to investigate?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2020, 10:56:17 AM

Ok, how many agents does it take to begin an investigation?
You need some techs to gather prints/dna, but why 15 agents to investigate?

If an investigation is going to take 15 man-days to complete, you can do it with 15 agents for a day, 3 agents for 5 days each, one agent for 15 days, or any combination totaling 15 man-days.  I don't see why anyone needs to sneer at the FBI because they wanted a highly public investigation completed as soon as possible.  Frankly, I wanted the same thing, given the racial tensions in the US right now.

This isn't rocket science.  It's just common sense.  Or uncommon sense, in the case of Languish.

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on June 25, 2020, 01:30:48 PM
I guess it was designed with a view of using your neck to pull the door down?
seems small for a neck, but the right size to grabe it with your hand, like a handle.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2020, 06:10:31 PM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/princeton-university-rename-woodrow-wilson-school-racism-a9589526.html

Bye, Wilson.
John Wayne is next in line.  Democrats are already asking for his name to be erased, the Moses way in The Ten Commandments.

And eventually, someone will have to decide what to do with Washington.  So far, only a few are raising questions about him, his dental work, his 300 slaves, his shuffling of "property" to flout the emancipation laws of Pennsylvania, etc, etc.

Eddie Teach

Must have already happened, I don't remember Wayne being in The Ten Commandments.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 28, 2020, 03:56:28 AM
Must have already happened, I don't remember Wayne being in The Ten Commandments.  ;)
just meant that in the movie, Moses' name is stricken from everywhere so it is as he never existed in Egypt.

Democrats renew push to strip John Wayne's name from Orange county airport

Democrats in Orange County, California, have restarted efforts to remove actor John Wayne's name from the local airport.

Citing Wayne's controversial comments about race relations in America, the officials passed an emergency resolution last week condemning his "racist and bigoted statements" made during an interview with Playboy Magazine in 1971.

"There have been past efforts to get this done and now we're putting our name and our backing into this to make sure there is a name change," said Ada Briceno, chairwoman of the local Democratic Party.

In the 1971 interview, Wayne told a reporter he believes in white supremacy "until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility."

"I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people," he said.

On slavery, Wayne, a longtime Orange County resident, said, "I don't feel guilty about the fact that five or 10 generations ago these people were slaves."

The resolution asked the county board to change the name of the airport back to its original name, Orange County Airport.

viper37

Also, texts about Washington and his slaves constantly comes back during this discussions.  That must be the 3rd one I've come accross in the last few weeks:
George and Martha Washington enslaved 300 people.  Let's start with their names

QuoteSince this moment of reckoning has led to a prickly discussion about our Founding Fathers' slave-owning pasts, let us take a moment, starting with George Washington, to think about the people they enslaved.

Let's start with the names. Because so few of us know them. Because their names have been omitted from history books and are barely mentioned in the many volumes that chronicle Washington's life as a military hero and Founding Father.

Austin

Moll

Giles

Ona Judge

Paris

Hercules

Joe

Richmond

Christopher Sheels

William Lee

That's just 10 names of the more than 300 people enslaved by George and Martha Washington. They worked and traveled most closely with our nation's first First Family as chamber maids, postilions, cooks, waiters, laborers, seamstresses and valets.

Did you know that George Washington had only one tooth in his mouth when he became president in 1789, thanks to bad health and 18th-century dentistry? But his false teeth were not made of wood, as is often described in folk songs and lore. His dentures were made from the pulled teeth of slaves.
AD

Roll that around in your head for a minute.

Did you know that the president was often unwell, having survived two wars and a nasty bout with a cutaneous form of anthrax? He was tended to by Richmond and William Lee during long stretches when he was unable to sit or stand.

Did you know that some of the names belong to people who were "dower slaves," legally controlled by Martha? She had the money in the family as a widow who was left with thousands of acres and hundreds of people when her first husband, Daniel Parke Custis, died.

Did you know that when Ona Judge escaped, Martha insisted that George do everything in his power to track her down so she could gift her to a granddaughter as an attendant (thus avoiding the need to reimburse her first husband's estate for loss of property)? And yes, the correct word is "property," because next to acreage (as in real estate), the enslaved composed the greatest source of wealth for families such as the Washingtons.
AD

And let's not forget that one of the reasons that our nation's capital was moved to Washington, D.C., was it was closer to Virginia, where slavery was practiced and protected under law. When Washington traveled to New York — or, later, to Philadelphia — to preside over a newly formed government, he left all but a few of his slaves behind at Mount Vernon. Once Washington moved north, he was legally at risk of losing his slaves in the City of Brotherly Love.

Did you know that Pennsylvania's Gradual Abolition Act of 1780 held that if you lived in that state for more than six months with enslaved people, they could successfully petition for their freedom?

Correspondence shows that Washington thought he was exempt from that law because his work required that he reside in the state for an extended period. His attorney general, Edmund Jennings Randolph, cleared up that false impression when he knocked on Washington's High Street door in Philadelphia one day to say that Randolph's own slaves had familiarized themselves with that law and were packing up to leave.

What changes do you hope will come out of protests and debates about police and race? Write to The Post.

So the Washingtons came up with an elaborate shuffling plan to cycle in and out of Pennsylvania so their slaves would never hit the legal threshold for freedom. Sometimes they would take a trip back to Virginia. Sometimes they would just make an excuse to go across the river to New Jersey. The schedule was complicated and burdensome, but Washington kept it up because he and Martha were determined to keep the people they owned in bondage.

Washington explained in a letter to his secretary Tobias Lear that the scheme was meant to deceive the enslaved and the public, said Erica Armstrong Dunbar, a professor of history at Rutgers and author of the book "Never Caught: The Washingtons' Relentless Pursuit of Their Runaway Slave Ona Judge."

The man who supposedly never told a lie figured out how to stretch the truth.

Did you know that Washington's cook, Hercules, also escaped? He did so on Washington's birthday, a departure with an unmistakable message.

These are just some of the stories. (Many others are in Dunbar's book, which ought to be on Americans' reading list about our real history.) The Washingtons had hundreds of people on their official slave census. Mostly, we don't know their names or their stories. There are no buildings named for them. No statues. Yet their toil and their torture helped to build a new nation.

Many say Washington deserves some measure of grace because he arranged to free some of his slaves upon his death. So, he did in death what he would not do in life? We must own up to the fact that he owned people, that those people were separated from their loved ones, made to work without pay, made to live without dignity, made to suffer whippings, made to disappear. Because of that their names are monuments unto themselves.

Names we should remember.

Austin

Moll

Giles

Ona Judge

Paris

Hercules

Joe

Richmond

Christopher Sheels

William Lee

. . . And so many more.

Admiral Yi

Just got a new stick of Land o' Lakes butter out of the fridge, and lo and behold there's an Indian babe on the packaging.  Either Beeber had bad info or they use different art in Canada and the US.

derspiess

Might have been old packaging they wanted to use up.  At Kroger I noticed about a month or so ago she was gone from all the LoL packaging there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2020, 12:27:50 PM
Just got a new stick of Land o' Lakes butter out of the fridge, and lo and behold there's an Indian babe on the packaging.  Either Beeber had bad info or they use different art in Canada and the US.

We have dairy supply management in Canada - you may have heard of it, as it is always causing trade friction with the US.

Which means we get hardly any US dairy products in Canada.  Never seen LOL butter here.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.