The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I hope this isn't going to backfire on Bubba Wallace and make it sound like it was a hoax.  It wasn't him who saw it and reported it, and I'm sure that whoever did was doing it with the best of intentions.  Rushing to the conclusion was unfortunate, but I guess it was unavoidable, because NASCAR couldn't keep this quiet while they investigated, that just wouldn't fly.  Good thing that Mike Skinner's imbecile son spoke up when he did, to show that while the noose was a misunderstanding, the racism everyone thought of was present and real regardless.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2020, 09:27:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2020, 08:08:59 PM
Apparently took 15 FBI investigators to figure that out. Glad it wasn't what some thought it was.

Apparently, I don't know how many FBI investigators I should have expected it to take, given that you seem to think that 15 was either much too large a number, or much too small a number.  What range of numbers would not have prompted you to post about the numbers at all, and why is 15 a noteworthy number?

Dunno, man. I just think maybe people at the facility would have identified it as the pull rope common to those sliding garage doors instead of a noose.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

A bit weird that it got identified (by someone) as a noose, but of course unlikely stuff happens all the time and my guess is that it was an honest mistake.

My guess is that quite a few NASCAR fans agree with the spirit of SKINNERs!! hateful message. Is my guess wrong?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Apparently took 15 FBI investigators to figure that out. Glad it wasn't what some thought it was.

Apparently, I don't know how many FBI investigators I should have expected it to take, given that you seem to think that 15 was either much too large a number, or much too small a number.  What range of numbers would not have prompted you to post about the numbers at all, and why is 15 a noteworthy number?
2 to take the deposition and inspect video cameras would have been sufficient.  I would think 15 agents is reserved for when a case needs to pursue a lot of leads in tracking down fugitive(s)/culprit(s).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2020, 10:39:16 PM
Dunno, man. I just think maybe people at the facility would have identified it as the pull rope common to those sliding garage doors instead of a noose.
I suppose once someone saw and reported a noose, the stand was off limits to everyone else, and no one ever thought "oh, it might just be that pull rope we use".

Given the current climate, given that NASCAR probably received a lot of threats/hateful messages for forbidding the flag, everyone was on edge.

That would be my guess.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on June 24, 2020, 01:32:09 AM
A bit weird that it got identified (by someone) as a noose, but of course unlikely stuff happens all the time and my guess is that it was an honest mistake.

My guess is that quite a few NASCAR fans agree with the spirit of SKINNERs!! hateful message. Is my guess wrong?

I'm sure that depends on how you define quite a few.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 24, 2020, 02:45:50 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 24, 2020, 01:32:09 AM

I'm sure that depends on how you define quite a few.

For the sake of argument, say 20%?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 24, 2020, 01:44:24 AM
2 to take the deposition and inspect video cameras would have been sufficient.  I would think 15 agents is reserved for when a case needs to pursue a lot of leads in tracking down fugitive(s)/culprit(s).

So you, with your vast experience in investigations, would conclude that two was the right number and 15 would not be needed because this case didn't have lots of leads to track down?

Sure.  That's totally credible. 

NOT

I know all the Kool Kids love to sneer at law enforcement and pretend they could do better, but try not to let your ass show so much, mkay?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 24, 2020, 01:44:24 AM

When you get a real proper investigation (and not the random scribblings of some beat cop at the end of his shift), I would say 98% of the work is useless.  The problem is you don't know which 98% will wind up being useless until you actually do the work.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2020, 07:45:31 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 23, 2020, 06:44:13 PM
No charges in noose case.

Yep.  It was there long before Wallace was assigned (last week) to that garage.  It's a loop that looks like a noose, but not a noose, and it's on the end of the garage door pull-down rope.

It's a pretty noose-looking loop, though.  :wacko:

Admiral Yi

fromtia

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

merithyn

Quote from: The Larch on June 25, 2020, 12:40:53 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2020, 07:45:31 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 23, 2020, 06:44:13 PM
No charges in noose case.

Yep.  It was there long before Wallace was assigned (last week) to that garage.  It's a loop that looks like a noose, but not a noose, and it's on the end of the garage door pull-down rope.

It's a pretty noose-looking loop, though.  :wacko:

That's a noose. I don't care how "inadvertent" that is, it's a noose. I've used tons of ropes on garages, storage units, etc., and if there's a loop, it's a quickly tied loop.

I'm not saying that it was deliberately put there to intimidate Bubba, but I am saying that it's not ridiculous to see that and go, "WTF? A noose!"
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

celedhring

I guess it was designed with a view of using your neck to pull the door down?

Admiral Yi

I'm guessing someone was told to put a pull cord on the door, he knew how to make a noose (it's moderately complex) and did so as a gag.