The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Is there any police organization in the world which deals with these situations in a way that is considered best practice? If so, how do they deal with these situations? Copy their methods.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

QuoteDolly Parton statue may replace KKK leader memorial at Tennessee Capitol

Truly a much better bust.  :shifty:

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on June 15, 2020, 09:37:36 AM
QuoteDolly Parton statue may replace KKK leader memorial at Tennessee Capitol

Truly a much better bust.  :shifty:
Also I find it almost impossible to imagine a bigger upgrade in every possible respect :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Zoupa on June 09, 2020, 02:52:55 PM

They've been told they're heroes for the past 20 years. Doing a dangerous job.

Driver/sales workers and truck drivers: Fatal injuries in 2016: 24.7 per 100,000 workers.

Police and sheriff's patrol officers: Fatal injuries in 2016: 14.6 per 100,000 workers.

So your pizza delivery guy is even more of a hero. Also they rarely choke black people to death on TV.

I agree that the police need to nut up and accept that their jobs have some danger, and that doesn't justify blasting away the general public any time a risk appears. I posted somewhere a study of police deaths in the US over time, and it is a much safer profession than it used to be.

But there is a flip side of this at the moment. The data is hard to come by (too many entities), but police kill somewhere around 300 black people a year. That is under 1 per 100,000. Obviously that doesn't consider that some of those killings are possibly justified.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

Recently, you get mass gatherings like this, in Paris, which is in another country and on another continent from the George Floyd killing:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

France has it's own racism problem too. American culture poisons everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

Quote from: alfred russel on June 15, 2020, 10:08:17 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 09, 2020, 02:52:55 PM

They've been told they're heroes for the past 20 years. Doing a dangerous job.

Driver/sales workers and truck drivers: Fatal injuries in 2016: 24.7 per 100,000 workers.

Police and sheriff's patrol officers: Fatal injuries in 2016: 14.6 per 100,000 workers.

So your pizza delivery guy is even more of a hero. Also they rarely choke black people to death on TV.

I agree that the police need to nut up and accept that their jobs have some danger, and that doesn't justify blasting away the general public any time a risk appears. I posted somewhere a study of police deaths in the US over time, and it is a much safer profession than it used to be.

But there is a flip side of this at the moment. The data is hard to come by (too many entities), but police kill somewhere around 300 black people a year. That is under 1 per 100,000. Obviously that doesn't consider that some of those killings are possibly justified.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

Recently, you get mass gatherings like this, in Paris, which is in another country and on another continent from the George Floyd killing:

I don't understand your last paragraph. What's the relation to the rest of your post?

alfred russel

Quote from: Zoupa on June 15, 2020, 11:26:08 AM
I don't understand your last paragraph. What's the relation to the rest of your post?

Sorry, I didn't think you needed to be spoon fed. How many covid deaths do you think will result from gatherings like the one pictured?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Zoupa

That still has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of your post?

alfred russel

Quote from: Zoupa on June 15, 2020, 11:46:24 AM

Sure it does.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2020, 08:46:47 AM

Of course, it turned out to be a fucking BB gun made to look like a real gun (THAT should be fucking illegal right there), but you can't wait until he actually blows you away so you can be sure that a gun designed to look just like a deadly gun, is in fact a deadly gun.

I wonder if it was actually an airsoft (small difference), they often get classed as "BB guns" but can look like the real thing.

And this also might be a sign of the times/loss of innocence.  I remember playing with water guns as a kid that could easily be mistaken for an authentic modern assault rifle today.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 15, 2020, 12:16:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2020, 08:46:47 AM

Of course, it turned out to be a fucking BB gun made to look like a real gun (THAT should be fucking illegal right there), but you can't wait until he actually blows you away so you can be sure that a gun designed to look just like a deadly gun, is in fact a deadly gun.

I wonder if it was actually an airsoft (small difference), they often get classed as "BB guns" but can look like the real thing.

And this also might be a sign of the times/loss of innocence.  I remember playing with water guns as a kid that could easily be mistaken for an authentic modern assault rifle today.

Up here in Canada, where handguns are tightly controlled, the bad guys on a lot of my files are carrying those fucking Airsofts.  Damn right that should be illegal.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

Quote from: alfred russel on June 15, 2020, 11:50:34 AM

Sure it does.

Police shootings are bad. Segue to possible covid transmission in Paris.

Please tell me your point isn't: "cops killing black folks in the USis wrong, but look at all these black folks in another country that might get covid19 and die".

Is that it?

alfred russel

Quote from: Zoupa on June 15, 2020, 12:29:12 PM

Sure it does.

Please tell me your point isn't: "cops killing black folks in the USis wrong, but look at all these black folks in another country that might get covid19 and die".

Is that it?

Why do you want me to tell you that isn't my point? There is some irony in a bunch of majority non black protesters under banners and chants of "black lives matter", protesting the police killing of about ~300 black people a year, spreading a disease that is disproportionately taking black lives (so far killed about 30,000 of them in the US in the past 4 months).

The racial breakdown of covid deaths in France is harder to find, but the disease has impacted that country significantly worse than the US on a per capita basis.

Zoupa

Quote from: alfred russel on June 15, 2020, 01:04:20 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 15, 2020, 12:29:12 PM

Sure it does.

Is that it?

Why do you want me to tell you that isn't my point? There is some irony in a bunch of majority non black protesters under banners and chants of "black lives matter", protesting the police killing of about ~300 black people a year, spreading a disease that is disproportionately taking black lives (so far killed about 30,000 of them in the US in the past 4 months).

The racial breakdown of covid deaths in France is harder to find, but the disease has impacted that country significantly worse than the US on a per capita basis.

Ok, so that was your point.

/ignore