The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Hey I've got one for you guys:

Not a statue, but a neighborhood.  The region west of Edmonton's downtown is a district called Oliver.  It's home to a university, a bunch of shopping and condos.  One of those areas that gentrified hard in the last 20 years.

It's named after Frank Oliver, an MP and cabinet minister from the turn of the last century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Oliver_(politician)

He was minister of the interior under Laurier.  He was partly responsible for Edmonton being made the capital when the province was formed in 1905.  He was also a racist.  The was an era where the prairies were being opened up and we experienced mass immigration.  Now let's be honest it was always kind of implicit that immigration would be whites only, but Oliver signed an Order-in-Council that made it explicit - "the Negro race...is deemed unsuitable to the climate and requirements of Canada".  The OIC apparently was removed on Laurier's last day in office on the claim that Oliver himself wasn't present when it was signed.

Is it right to name a large neighborhood after the fellow?  But then what's in a name - it's not like there's any statues of him around, and "Oliver" by itself is hardly an objectionable name.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2020, 01:52:22 PM
Is it right to name a large neighborhood after the fellow?  But then what's in a name - it's not like there's any statues of him around, and "Oliver" by itself is hardly an objectionable name.

I mean are there other reasons to name something after Oliver? Most actual humans are going to have supported things that, centuries later, are going to be seen as vile but I guess the question I would as is does the monuments to Oliver present him as a hero and do they endorse a white Alberta? Because that is what most of the Confederate Monuments do and hence why they should be removed and other sketchy names and monuments might not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 09, 2020, 01:53:26 PM
Just change the reference to John Oliver. :P

An Englishman who moved to the United States? I guess that is as close to being Canadian without actually being Canadian.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Everybody is to be blamed...except themselves.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2020, 02:11:00 PM
This seems fairly revealing:
https://twitter.com/AugustTakala/status/1270399690912272384?s=20

Can we put his rant over some of the ugly videos of NYPD from the last 10 or so days?

Also:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Yeah. It's extraordinary - that demand for respect.

I think the police really overestimated the depth of support for them. From a WashPost poll today:
QuoteAmong white voters:
57% disapprove of Trump's handling
69% support protests
68% say Floyd's death shows systemic mistreatment of backs
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2020, 02:16:47 PM

I think the police really overestimated the depth of support for them.

They had Mono in their focus group.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 09, 2020, 02:20:27 PM

It's just such entitled rage at the possibility of maybe being held accountable. It's unbelievable.

They really are the last unreformed bit of the public sector.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2020, 02:21:39 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 09, 2020, 02:20:27 PM

It's just such entitled rage at the possibility of maybe being held accountable. It's unbelievable.

They really are the last unreformed bit of the public sector.

They've been told they're heroes for the past 20 years. Doing a dangerous job.

Driver/sales workers and truck drivers: Fatal injuries in 2016: 24.7 per 100,000 workers.

Police and sheriff's patrol officers: Fatal injuries in 2016: 14.6 per 100,000 workers.

So your pizza delivery guy is even more of a hero. Also they rarely choke black people to death on TV.

Valmy

Yet when I was delivering pizzas not one person said "thank you for your service"  :mad:

But really I would have preferred a tip anyway.

The Larch

QuoteStephen Miller, who crafted Trump's immigration policy at the southern border, including separating families and caging children, is preparing a White House speech on race relations.

Brace yourselves.

Valmy

"Americans of all races must unite to save our country from hordes of immigrant caravans!"

Syt

"It's not your fault that you were born of inferior blood. Don't be ashamed and accept your station in life."
—Stephen Jay Gould