The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 02, 2020, 04:03:03 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2020, 03:45:34 PM
As some others have commented, I must say it's nice that we have so intense and lively debates on Languish. We're definitely alive! :)

So alive, we're ready to shoot ourself in the head.

Not just yet! In Steiner we trust. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2020, 03:34:05 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 02, 2020, 03:28:28 PM
Protecting the store was to prevent the "Well, I was on their side until they started stealing shoes!!" bullshit.

No one here has taken that position.  This  is pretty much a straw man.  Rather we are distinguishing between righteous and unrighteous protestors.

No one here has. There has, however, been a multitude of that on social media platforms.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

If the reactionaries are going to absolutely hammer the looting message, and the police for similar reasons will not really work on stopping it, would it not be beneficial for the protesters to do such demonstrative acts of distancing them from them?

In 1956, when there was literal fighting between the Stalinist regime in Hungary and the revolutionaries, the latter had zero tolerance for looting of non-regime buildings or persons, and yet they managed to win the fight. Heck, they famously had open collection hats/buckets on the streets for donations to help families who lost people in the fighting. Nobody dared touching the cash because the revolutionaries were protecting them.

I understand that looting in reality is a small thing when compared tot he overall number of protesters. But is that a good enough reason to give up the PR battle over it without even trying? I am sorry, but I am fairly certain that a lot of people, if they are made to feel like they need to choose between continued fighting of institutionalised racism or the safety of their persons and property, they will decide they can live with the racism (especially as it mostly won't affect them) but they won't live without the security. Now, again, I understand the premise of this choice is entirely false, but the regime is working very hard to convince them that it is a real one.

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on June 02, 2020, 03:53:22 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2020, 03:52:00 PM
Another win for the debate skills only elite universities can afford.

What's with the sass? You're out of rotten herring or something?
Sass from the sidelines is the inevitable result when peaceful attempts at discussion meet character assassination.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2020, 04:04:23 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 02, 2020, 03:47:50 PM
This really shouldn't be more than a footnote.

Can y'all just get the fuck over the (minimal amount of) looting?

Now it feels like you're virtue signalling

I don't know what you mean by get over the looting.  Pretend it's not happening?  Embrace it like Meri and hope there's more?

WTF.

Where is this narative that Meri "hopes there's more" coming from?

What I said, to be clear, is that I don't blame these people for being angry nor do I condemn them for how they're showing their anger. They have every right to be pissed, and I'm shocked that it took this long for the powder keg to blow.

I don't care that stores are being looted and vandalized only in that I think it's immaterial to what's happening to people of color in this country. Again I'll say, do I wish/hope for it? No, I don't. Do I care that it's happening? I care in that I don't wish anyone to be hurt, but not enough to stress over it when peaceful protesters are being blinded with rubber bullets and smashed with shields and fists.

Commercial America usually does a pretty good job of taking care of itself. POC, on the other hand, usually gets fucked over. So yeah, my sympathies lie there instead.

Oexmelin

Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2020, 04:19:09 PM
Sass from the sidelines is the inevitable result when peaceful attempts at discussion meet character assassination.

What character assassination? Who has been assassinated? So far, and except Tamas' outburst, which he acknowledged, I only see Brain sniping at me from the sidelines.

I am angry, yes - for a variety of reasons, some of which are personal, some are in line with my actual belief, and some, because I show up for protests despite the risk. Because it's important. It doesn't mean that I am not afraid. So, people who are snarky, or detached, from the sidelines get my goat. Do I think they are misguided? Yes. Do I think people here are fascists? No (for the most part). 

I engage with you because I think you are arguing in good faith, even if we disagree - and, more crucially perhaps, because you engage back fairly. Not necessarily because I think your arguments are fair, but rather, because you give and take at similar levels. This is not the case with every one on Languish.   
Que le grand cric me croque !

fromtia

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

DGuller

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 02, 2020, 04:34:39 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2020, 04:19:09 PM

What character assassination? Who has been assassinated? So far, and except Tamas' outburst, which he acknowledged, I only see Brain sniping at me from the sidelines.

I am angry, yes - for a variety of reasons, some of which are personal, some are in line with my actual belief, and some, because I show up for protests despite the risk. Because it's important. It doesn't mean that I am not afraid. So, people who are snarky, or detached, from the sidelines get my goat. Do I think they are misguided? Yes. Do I think people here are fascists? No (for the most part). 

I engage with you because I think you are arguing in good faith, even if we disagree - and, more crucially perhaps, because you engage back fairly. Not necessarily because I think your arguments are fair, but rather, because you give and take at similar levels. This is not the case with every one on Languish.
I appreciate that. 

I don't think there has been a lot of character assassination here, certainly not when compared to the dumpster file a week ago in another thread, but I think the implication that talking about looting means you care more about jeans than about black people, or something in that vicinity, is pretty close to being that.  I don't think the position that anarchy in general and looting in particular is tangential to the protests or is counter-productive to the aims of the protests invites these kinds of implications.  I can see why some would choose to not attempt to enter the discussion if that's how the conversation can turn.

Oexmelin

Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2020, 04:47:06 PMI think the implication that talking about looting means you care more about jeans than about black people, or something in that vicinity, is pretty close to being that. (...) I can see why some would choose to not attempt to enter the discussion if that's how the conversation can turn.

Not directly, no. But most beliefs come with a lot of baggage folded into them, that often can be unfolded through stark contrasts. No one here seems to be balking at asking me to justify my beliefs, often with the ulterior motive of "showing me" something they have already considered. They shouldn't balk at the reverse being directed at them. I don't think people assume explicitly that a pair of jeans is worth more than a black life. But I think that taking so much time and energy discussing looting reflects some argumentative preferences that, I suggest, should be examined.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on June 02, 2020, 03:38:39 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2020, 03:36:57 PM
Which is hilarious since few are as big into identity politics like the alt-right. You would think they would have plenty of empathy for racial and identity based nationalism.
They are nothing if not inconsistent.

I disagree - I think they are totally consistent.

They look at the other and see as in a mirror.

They see power as a zero sum game - that in this world, people are and ought to be divided by ethnicity as it is currently defined, Whites have the power, and if any is given to non-Whites, Whites will of necessity have less. It's merely a power struggle. If non-Whites are ever given power comparable to Whites, they will act just the same as Whites, that is hold onto power with oppression - so they must be fought, violently if necessary.

They live in a social Darwinian world, and aim to be top dog (while fearing they may not be).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 02, 2020, 04:55:48 PM
But I think that taking so much time and energy discussing looting reflects some argumentative preferences that, I suggest, should be examined.

So much time is spent discussing looting because lots of voices online bizarrely want to defend looting as some kind of valid form of protest.

I mean even most black leaders, the BLM movement, and others have condemned looting and rioting even as they continue to passionately denounce police violence.  Joe Biden, for example met with a number of black leaders today and gave a rare public speech.  He said (amongst much else) that looting and rioting must stop.

I would have thought "looting and rioting is bad" would have been one thing we could all agree on, and then move on to other topics.  But here we are.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I don't know why everyone is attacking Meri.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Who here has said that looting and rioting is good?

Anyone?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: saskganesh on June 02, 2020, 04:58:05 PM
wow

you should walk that back.

Yes, you're right.  I embellished.  Takes backs.

It was a reference to Meri's posts about being perfectly fine with businesses with insurance burning down or black people expressing their rage in any way they see fit.