The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2020, 03:13:41 PM
This is what I meant about protest supporters being careful about picking their heroes, if they want to keep their credibility.  It sure looks to me like some here are making heroes out of those who trash stores to take some free shit with them, and somehow making it out that not only is taking 10 free pairs of pants further the cause of protests, but that it's a necessary part of a successful protests.  If you're against that, you're for people being killed by police with impunity.

Believe it or not, I'm not 100% unsympathetiic to the pro-looter side.  Here's how I see the thinking going.

Looting is in fact an honest expression of rage.  They are trying to get back at The Man, The System.  When people like you and I judge them to be motivated by the desire for acquisition rather than rage, we judge and invalidate their rage.

fromtia

Quote from: merithyn on June 02, 2020, 03:21:18 PM

Or maybe we're not about making any of this about those idiots trashing and looting stores.

No one is making them heroes here. We're just saying that it's not the point, and that's not where the focus should be.

No, no this is now a looting thread. There may be something else going on here in the US, but the real problem is looting. looting, looting, looting. Remember Looty from 2005? That was the real story of Hurricane Katrina. LA Riots? Looting. Ferguson? looting. Teh blacks are out there doing a loot and teh libs are supporting them on the internet. Thats what's happening.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Maximus

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 02, 2020, 03:16:40 PM
Patton Oswalt had a great post about virtue signalling the other day. "Y'know why you yell "virtue signaling" when you see anyone be an ally to the oppressed or abused or "othered"? 'Cuz you can't imagine an action not linked to a selfish motive. You can't accept someone wanting a better world without it directly benefiting them. It's beyond you."

There's a similar lack of imagination/empathy behind other alt-right buzzwords like "identity politics".

You can't imagine why people who have been brutalized because of their identity need to see people with that identity in power, because it hasn't happened to you.

You can't imagine people whose protests have fallen on deaf ears expressing their rage with rioting and looting, because more productive avenues of protest are open to you.

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2020, 03:24:57 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 02, 2020, 03:22:30 PM
Fine, I take it back. I just felt you were laying it on a bit thick, attacking the fact of people protecting shops from looting.

People in ivory towers often don't give a flying fuck about poor people.

:console:
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 02, 2020, 03:27:29 PM
Fine, I take it back. I just felt you were laying it on a bit thick, attacking the fact of people protecting shops from looting.

Hey I'm OK. Luckily I'm not poor. But thanks. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Oex made a good point about that, though.

Protecting the store was to prevent the "Well, I was on their side until they started stealing shoes!!" bullshit.

How can anyone NOT be on the side of people tired of being killed in the streets? And if someone stealing shoes (or many someones doing so) can turn you against that, the issue isn't the looted stores. The issue is what you deem more important than people being killed in the streets.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on June 02, 2020, 03:28:28 PM
Protecting the store was to prevent the "Well, I was on their side until they started stealing shoes!!" bullshit.

No one here has taken that position.  This  is pretty much a straw man.  Rather we are distinguishing between righteous and unrighteous protestors.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2020, 03:34:05 PM
No one here has taken that position.  This  is pretty much a straw man.  Rather we are distinguishing between righteous and unrighteous protestors.

Why is that a useful distinction to make?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on June 02, 2020, 03:26:47 PM

There's a similar lack of imagination/empathy behind other alt-right buzzwords like "identity politics".

Which is hilarious since few are as big into identity politics like the alt-right. You would think they would have plenty of empathy for racial and identity based nationalism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2020, 03:34:05 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 02, 2020, 03:28:28 PM

Is the crime and problem they are protesting, rioting, and looting in support of/because of/sparked by worse than the crime and problem that said protesting, rioting, and looting causes. So far I rank murder and systemic racism as far worse crimes and problems than anything I have seen in the protesting, looting, and rioting. That is me though. That is how I am judging the righteousness or unrighteousness of the sides.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Zoupa

Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2020, 03:28:06 PM

You're poor in a lot of ways.

Sheilbh

Not on topic to this discussion, but watching the influencers getting their content from all of this is incredible:
https://twitter.com/influencersitw/status/1267627931154747392?s=20
Let's bomb Russia!

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2020, 03:36:57 PM
Which is hilarious since few are as big into identity politics like the alt-right. You would think they would have plenty of empathy for racial and identity based nationalism.
They are nothing if not inconsistent.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 02, 2020, 03:38:13 PM
Not on topic to this discussion, but watching the influencers getting their content from all of this is incredible:
https://twitter.com/influencersitw/status/1267627931154747392?s=20

See now this is virtue signalling if it is a thing. Just getting images for the brand.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on June 02, 2020, 03:37:45 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2020, 03:28:06 PM

You're poor in a lot of ways.

So cruel. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.