The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I'd just read about NYPD and mayor's daughter. Wtf.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 01, 2020, 01:03:00 AM
With the Targets being looted I'm reminded of one of the most embarrassing family moments in my life. Early 2002, visiting my middle sister in Fayetteville, NC, her husband being stationed at Ft. Bragg. My Mom was making dinner, and my sister and I headed to Target. She wanted some electrical thingy - I forget what - and wanted to check at a customer service desk if they had that in stock.

The black guy at the desk was still serving another (black) customer, so my sister and I started browsing the aisles. When we return to the desk the guy is serving another (black) customer. My sister complained that we had been there first, and the guy said we'd just walked away, so he hadn't known if we still needed service. My sister insisted we were first, and he said he'd be right with us.

At which my sister exploded, "Fucking niggers!" and went on a tirade how blacks were treating whites like shit like they were owed anything, and it's no wonder people were racist if this is how blacks treat whites and she would never set foot in this "fucking nigger store" again.

I was shocked, dumbfounded, and honestly had no idea to react. She didn't mention this when we were back at her house, and I had absolutely no idea how to deal with it. I believe it was a while before she went back to any Target.

I can see why you don't visit often.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2020, 08:28:02 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 31, 2020, 02:19:33 PM
Frankly, I'm appalled by the police conduct. There's some examples of police engaging with protesters and real solidarity, but the violence drowns it out.
Another thought on this - which I basically agree with - is, and this could just be my memory being shit, but this feels like the first time there's been any display of real solidarity from either individual cops or police forces. And it's patchy, at best, but those videos seem different than where this movement was a few years ago.

Similarly, and their votes indicate it won't matter a great deal, but one interesting thing in the Republican focus on antifa = terrorists, is that they are specifically saying BLM are the good guys, legitimate and should be listened to. Just noticed tonight with Marco Rubio's comments. Again, it's patchy, and I'm not sure how much it matter. But that seems a shift.

As I say I might just be misremembering and this has always been there. But it feels like the police and the right have sort of moved on or are starting to move from "the police have a difficult job and make snap-second decisions".

I'd say wishful thinking.

https://www.vox.com/2015/9/30/9427919/marco-rubio-black-lives-matter
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Syt

So Trump switched off the White House lights and went into the bunker for a spell last night.

But wearing a mask would make him look weak. :rolleyes:

(Yes, he probably went into the bunker at the suggestion of security staff, but still ...)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Young man in Charleston kneels with others in front of police. Says they're all family, he wants to understand them, they should all try understand each other etc., how everyone is afraid. Nothing bad, just a guy trying to reach out and make sense of it all.

Of course he gets taken away by police.

https://twitter.com/sweeeetdee_/status/1267319103167107072?s=20
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Cincinnati police replaced the flag at the Hamilton Justice Center after the US flag disappeared with a Thin Blue Line one.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/sheriff-thin-blue-line-flag-was-raised-outside-hamilton-county-justice-center
QuoteIn a tweet posted hours after the photo went viral on Twitter and Reddit, Neil wrote that deputies raised the flag in honor of a Cincinnati police officer whose ballistic helmet had been struck by a bullet early Sunday morning.

"The flag has been removed and we will replace it with the American Flag in the morning," he wrote.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on June 01, 2020, 02:59:54 AM
Cincinnati police replaced the flag at the Hamilton Justice Center after the US flag disappeared with a Thin Blue Line one.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/sheriff-thin-blue-line-flag-was-raised-outside-hamilton-county-justice-center
QuoteIn a tweet posted hours after the photo went viral on Twitter and Reddit, Neil wrote that deputies raised the flag in honor of a Cincinnati police officer whose ballistic helmet had been struck by a bullet early Sunday morning.

"The flag has been removed and we will replace it with the American Flag in the morning," he wrote.

So they are at war with us.

Solmyr

Quote from: Monoriu on May 31, 2020, 07:02:28 PM
The real problem is how to arrest all the looters and rioters, and successfully prosecute them.

I don't know if they would be able to arrest 99% of police and billionaires in the US.

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on June 01, 2020, 02:47:59 AM
So Trump switched off the White House lights and went into the bunker for a spell last night.

Any chance he shoots himself while in there?

Syt

https://twitter.com/channiescloud_/status/1267333317927395329?s=20

Cops arrest black dude who chews them out all the way throughout ... turns out they arrested an FBI agent. Oops. "You guys are the dumbest motherfuckers I've met in my life."
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on May 31, 2020, 11:48:55 AM
German camera team also had a run in with the police when they were trying to film what was happening to *another* media team:

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1267119897806397442?s=20

(Deutsche Welle is government funded and broadcasts new in several languages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Welle)
:lol: That's the most admirably German thing I've ever seen. Being fired on in the middle of some police disturbances (when they're reporting on the police arresting another set of journalists it seems unfair to describe it as "civil" unrest or disturbances) and arguing about the appropriate procedure :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Sheilbh had a great point earlier about the police afraid of losing control, I think that is what happening. Not that it is any excuse, quite the opposite. I think it is very dangerous.