The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

City of Cincinnati has a 10:00pm curfew. I live about a mile outside of the city limits, so no curfew for me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Monoriu

The real problem is how to arrest all the looters and rioters, and successfully prosecute them. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on May 31, 2020, 07:02:28 PM
The real problem is how to arrest all the looters and rioters, and successfully prosecute them. 

Well if we just stop murdering our citizens, and if we do we appropriately handle the fallout, there would be no protests for the looter and rioters to take advantage of. That is actually the real problem.

It just boggles the mind. The Minneapolis Police Department knew exactly what they would trigger if they did not handle this carefully. Instead they were just like: well fuck you every other police department in the United States. Have fun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

You can't arrest everyone. It doesn't work in HK, China or the USA.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

Mono, take it elsewhere for a bit.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 31, 2020, 07:09:14 PM

You don't need to.  Just like you don't need to arrest 100% of all murderers for people to think twice before murdering people.  You only need to arrest a sufficient number of them for deterrence to work.  So you only need to arrest a reasonable percentage of rioters.  I have no idea what the exact percentage is, but it sure as hell isn't 100%. 

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on May 31, 2020, 07:25:41 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 31, 2020, 07:09:14 PM

You don't need to.  Just like you don't need to arrest 100% of all murderers for people to think twice before murdering people.  You only need to arrest a sufficient number of them for deterrence to work.  So you only need to arrest a reasonable percentage of rioters.  I have no idea what the exact percentage is, but it sure as hell isn't 100%. 

It won't work Mono. You don't get it.

Interesting you chose murder since that is exactly the crime we are protesting
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Oexmelin

Of course Mono gets it. Mono is an apologist for totalitarian regimes, and totalitarian regimes work in they are able to sufficiently delegitimize protest, instill fear and apathy, and crush dissent. This is what they do. This is what he hopes for. This is what he cheers for. It's not about him not 'getting it'. It's about him wishing for a regime that succeeds in doing these things.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on May 31, 2020, 02:19:33 PM
Frankly, I'm appalled by the police conduct. There's some examples of police engaging with protesters and real solidarity, but the violence drowns it out.
Another thought on this - which I basically agree with - is, and this could just be my memory being shit, but this feels like the first time there's been any display of real solidarity from either individual cops or police forces. And it's patchy, at best, but those videos seem different than where this movement was a few years ago.

Similarly, and their votes indicate it won't matter a great deal, but one interesting thing in the Republican focus on antifa = terrorists, is that they are specifically saying BLM are the good guys, legitimate and should be listened to. Just noticed tonight with Marco Rubio's comments. Again, it's patchy, and I'm not sure how much it matter. But that seems a shift.

As I say I might just be misremembering and this has always been there. But it feels like the police and the right have sort of moved on or are starting to move from "the police have a difficult job and make snap-second decisions".
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 31, 2020, 08:56:45 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2020, 08:05:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2020, 02:07:07 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 31, 2020, 12:32:48 AM
SPD showed great restraint today despite a couple of patrol cars burned and property damage. Much to the hysteria of local news retards.

Now let's look at the footage of the NYPD driving police cars into a group of protestors and the flimsy excuse provided by the mayor.
I saw a lot of Americans who'd been in the military noting the difference between the discipline they would be expected to show, if local civilians were pelting them with rocks etc and the behaviour of the NYPD.

I assume the difference lies in the training and experience of the troops and those leading them.
A lot of those troops were 18 or 19 and had one year's experience and yet they kept their discipline
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2020, 08:28:02 PM
Another thought on this - which I basically agree with - is, and this could just be my memory being shit, but this feels like the first time there's been any display of real solidarity from either individual cops or police forces. And it's patchy, at best, but those videos seem different than where this movement was a few years ago.

I think it shows that some police departments have learned how to react to these circumstances and how to better relate to the communities they are serving and protecting. I would like to think that anyway. I hope more follow their example.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Zoupa on May 31, 2020, 09:39:49 PM
https://twitter.com/GravelInstitute/status/1266929927116468225?s=20

America in 2020. That video is hard to watch.

Trump told them to rough people up and they're following that gleefully.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

PDH

You know, I am not really a bleeding heart type.  But I hurt from this.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM