The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 05, 2019, 09:12:30 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 05, 2019, 08:51:02 AM
No question the officer messed up big time, but what in terms of shooting the dog, what alternatives does one have?

Run back to his car? That's not exactly what one would expect from the police.  He was there to find out what happened to a passed-out person. Can't be sitting in his car calling for backup because a dog chased him there.

Taze the dog? Well yeah that's an option, I am assuming he didn't have one?

Use his baton? Yeah, good luck with that.
I think beating the dog would have been a  bigger PR disaster than shooting it.

For sure, especially as both the dog and the officer would have been in a pretty sorry state by the time one of them won.  :D

The Minsky Moment

No question the officer messed up big time, but what in terms of shooting the dog, what alternatives does one have?

Run back to his car? That's not exactly what one would expect from the police.  He was there to find out what happened to a passed-out person. Can't be sitting in his car calling for backup because a dog chased him there.

Based on what was in that video, petting the dog would have been a viable option.  Perhaps a scratch behind the ear?  Bullet in the face would not be a high on the list.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

When I was a paper boy, I hated dogs.  If I knew I could just shoot them, there wouldn't have been a dog left within five miles.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

The US Postal Service trains their carriers to deal with dogs. Maybe they can offer their services to train police officers?
Que le grand cric me croque !

jimmy olsen

Somehow police in countries where they don't typically carry guns manage to handle dogs all the same.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 05, 2019, 05:56:17 PM

Somehow police in countries where they don't typically carry guns manage to handle dogs all the same.

But this is 'Murica and those countries are losers. Sad.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: Tamas on August 05, 2019, 09:17:09 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 05, 2019, 09:12:30 AM

I think beating the dog would have been a  bigger PR disaster than shooting it.

For sure, especially as both the dog and the officer would have been in a pretty sorry state by the time one of them won.  :D

If the dog was truly aggressive and threatening, pepper spray would seem to be the better option, compared to shooting it.  Far better.

Berkut

But a dog barking at you, even while running towards you, is more often than not completely harmless.

You can tell when a dog is intent on attacking - they don't just bark and run towards you. They are growling, head hung low, and move with intent and purpose.

Most dogs bark because they are excited. Its what dogs do.

Some cops are looking for an excuse to use their gun. A barking dog seems like a good one. I WAS UNDER ATTACK!!!!!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

I read that article. They walked him down the street 2-3 blocks like that. Jesus. Talk about humiliating the guy. Not to mention the visuals on that.

We really are back in 1950s USA.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

What the fuck Galveston? I hope that Police Chief did more than just apologize.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2019, 06:43:41 PM
Just cuz you wanna bring criminals cookies and milk and tuck them into a nice bed for naptiem doesn't mean real Americans do. Crime doesn't pay.
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 07, 2019, 02:32:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2019, 06:43:41 PM
Just cuz you wanna bring criminals cookies and milk and tuck them into a nice bed for naptiem doesn't mean real Americans do. Crime doesn't pay.

Call me a bleeding heart pinko hippy but I think somebody should at least be convicted of a crime before they have to take a walk of shame.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Is the lie spreadeagled on the sidewalk of shame OK?