The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on February 15, 2019, 07:26:34 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 15, 2019, 07:12:35 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 15, 2019, 07:06:52 PM
Did the police do it?

I doubt it; couldn't find the mass shooting thread, non-school one that is, so thought this would be the best place.

Alternatively someone could start a non-education routine mass shooting in the US thread? :unsure: 

Update here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47261314

5 murdered, 5 police officers shot, others injured, the named 45 year old gunman also dead.

Page 1, near the top just for you.

Thanks.  :cheers:

(but you're indirectly blaming the NRA? )
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on February 15, 2019, 07:32:32 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 15, 2019, 07:26:34 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 15, 2019, 07:12:35 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 15, 2019, 07:06:52 PM
Did the police do it?

I doubt it; couldn't find the mass shooting thread, non-school one that is, so thought this would be the best place.

Alternatively someone could start a non-education routine mass shooting in the US thread? :unsure: 

Update here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47261314

5 murdered, 5 police officers shot, others injured, the named 45 year old gunman also dead.

Page 1, near the top just for you.

Thanks.  :cheers:

(but you're indirectly blaming the NRA? )

I don't support the National Russian Association...those dirty money mother fuckers
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

City worker shooting up municipal building.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 31, 2019, 07:55:55 PM
City worker shooting up municipal building.

Clearly, things like this couldn't happen if we abolished municipal governments.

The Brain

Police taking him out (if they did) seems reasonable to me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/455937-texas-police-officer-fatally-shoots-woman-while-firing-at

QuoteTexas Police officer fatally shoots woman while firing at unleashed dog

A Texas police officer shot and killed a woman in Arlington Thursday night when he fired a shot at an unleashed dog charging towards him.

The patrol officer was dispatched around 5:20 p.m. to do a welfare check for a woman reportedly passed out in a grassy area, the Arlington Police Department said in a statement.

As an officer approached, he noticed an unleashed dog. When he began to call out to the women, the dog reportedly started barking and charged toward the officer.

"The officer retreated backwards from the running dog while drawing his duty firearm. The officer discharged his firearm multiple times towards the dog," police said in a statement. "After the shots were fired, the woman yelled out and it was apparent she was injured.

The woman was transported to a local hospital where she was later pronounced dead.

CBS 11 News reported that the victim was later identified by the Tarrant County Medical Examiner as 30-year-old Margarita Victoria Brooks.

The whole incident was captured on the officer's body camera, which will be included in the ongoing investigation, according to police.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Is there no other way to deal with a dog than using your gun? I mean how many cops each year are killed by dogs?

Granted I am no expert on police training, but I feel like this is not what they are trained to do in this kind of situation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

There are so many failures there it isn't even funny. Using lethal force when not necessary, not checking your field of fire, etc., etc.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on August 02, 2019, 12:25:52 PM
Is there no other way to deal with a dog than using your gun? I mean how many cops each year are killed by dogs?

Granted I am no expert on police training, but I feel like this is not what they are trained to do in this kind of situation.

This is increasingly what they are trained to do. To respond to tense situation with violence or threat of violence.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/what-dog-shootings-reveal-about-american-policing/533319/
Que le grand cric me croque !

Darth Wagtaros

I'm sure the local PD will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the incident is investigated.
PDH!

Tamas

No question the officer messed up big time, but what in terms of shooting the dog, what alternatives does one have?

Run back to his car? That's not exactly what one would expect from the police.  He was there to find out what happened to a passed-out person. Can't be sitting in his car calling for backup because a dog chased him there.

Taze the dog? Well yeah that's an option, I am assuming he didn't have one?

Use his baton? Yeah, good luck with that.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tamas on August 05, 2019, 08:51:02 AM
No question the officer messed up big time, but what in terms of shooting the dog, what alternatives does one have?

Run back to his car? That's not exactly what one would expect from the police.  He was there to find out what happened to a passed-out person. Can't be sitting in his car calling for backup because a dog chased him there.

Taze the dog? Well yeah that's an option, I am assuming he didn't have one?

Use his baton? Yeah, good luck with that.
I think beating the dog would have been a  bigger PR disaster than shooting it.
PDH!