Erdogan tells female journalist to "know her place"

Started by Syt, August 08, 2014, 12:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I know this is serious and all but man this is like something out of a comedy sketch making fun of crazy dictators.  She was forced to resign for asking a question about tolerance for questioning authority?  In Soviet Turkey authority questions you!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2014, 12:53:00 PM
I have to say that thus far (and thanks Syt for that added bit), I can't join the outraged crowd. Neither version of the question sounds like an honest question - but yeah just political rhetoric.

Seems pretty honest to me.  But maybe you just cannot take a woman speaking truth to power.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 08, 2014, 01:23:07 PM
Yeah journalists shouldn't be asking questions about repression of political dissent, they should just shut up and spit out verbatim whatever pabulum drools out the mouths of the political masters.

What nonsense is that?

i didn't comment about whether erdogan was right or wrong. i just pointed out that based off the story in the OP, it seems the "know her place" concerned her journalism rather than her gender.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2014, 01:20:44 PM
Wait, journalists should only ask quesitons that are polite?

As reported the question seems nonsensical apart from visibly stating the views of the reporter.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2014, 01:46:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2014, 12:53:00 PM
I have to say that thus far (and thanks Syt for that added bit), I can't join the outraged crowd. Neither version of the question sounds like an honest question - but yeah just political rhetoric.

Seems pretty honest to me.  But maybe you just cannot take a woman speaking truth to power.

I thought she was asking a question? Now she was speaking truth to power? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on August 08, 2014, 01:57:35 PM
i didn't comment about whether erdogan was right or wrong. i just pointed out that based off the story in the OP, it seems the "know her place" concerned her journalism rather than her gender.

I didn't see anything in the OP where Erdogan mused about journalistic integrity, a concept which there is no reason to think he has any interest or knowledge in.

I did see him refer to the journalist as a "militant shameless woman" in the immediate sentence.  So based on what he actually said, it certainly seems like gender was a significant consideration in his mind.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 08, 2014, 02:15:33 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on August 08, 2014, 01:57:35 PM

I didn't see anything in the OP where Erdogan mused about journalistic integrity, a concept which there is no reason to think he has any interest or knowledge in.

I did see him refer to the journalist as a "militant shameless woman" in the immediate sentence.  So based on what he actually said, it certainly seems like gender was a significant consideration in his mind.

Is that like "militant feminist"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 08, 2014, 02:15:33 PMI didn't see anything in the OP where Erdogan mused about journalistic integrity, a concept which there is no reason to think he has any interest or knowledge in.

Quote"Know your place," Erdoğan added. "They gave you a pen and you are writing a column in a newspaper.

"And then they invite you to a TV channel owned by Doğan media group and you insult at a society of 99 per cent Muslims."

"know your place. they gave you a pen and and you are writing a column in a newspaper. [so what do you do? you insult 99% of the muslims in the country you're reporting on.]"

garbon

On a different note, I just heard a mother tell her daughter that there are more important things than just being intelligent. Microaggresion!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2014, 02:09:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2014, 01:20:44 PM
Wait, journalists should only ask quesitons that are polite?

As reported the question seems nonsensical apart from visibly stating the views of the reporter.

According to the report, it is one phrase from a phone interview.  So without hearing the full interview (or transcript) for context, there is no basis to make that kind of judgment.

On the surface, it certain doesn't seem nonsensical.  Erdogan claims to govern on Islamic principles.  He has been very hostile to dissent and taken actions to suppress oppositional viewpoints.  The opposition candidate she was interviewing also has a religious background but otherwise has differing views from Erdogan.  So likely the question was aimed at a discussion of whether hostility to dissent is an "Islamic" characteristic, or just characteristic of Erdogan's particular interpretation of Islamic governance.  But without the context, I can't be sure.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

On the surface it doesn't seem like a genuine question but just political rhetoric. But like I said, I would like to hear more on what actually occurred.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on August 08, 2014, 02:19:24 PM
Quote"know your place. they gave you a pen and and you are writing a column in a newspaper. [so what do you do? you insult 99% of the muslims in the country you're reporting on.]"

Yes LaCroix, if you deliberately omit the very first line about "shameless woman" it does hide the gender connection . . .

Also, I see nothing in the lines about "journalistic integrity".  Saying things that might offend national or religious sensibilities perfectly consistent with journalistic integrity; it may be even required. 
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 08, 2014, 02:20:42 PMAccording to the report, it is one phrase from a phone interview.  So without hearing the full interview (or transcript) for context, there is no basis to make that kind of judgment.

On the surface, it certain doesn't seem nonsensical.  Erdogan claims to govern on Islamic principles.  He has been very hostile to dissent and taken actions to suppress oppositional viewpoints.  The opposition candidate she was interviewing also has a religious background but otherwise has differing views from Erdogan.  So likely the question was aimed at a discussion of whether hostility to dissent is an "Islamic" characteristic, or just characteristic of Erdogan's particular interpretation of Islamic governance.  But without the context, I can't be sure.

assuming she actually did ask "whether any Muslim society was capable of challenging its authorities," then that absolutely is nonsensical. how could anyone honestly ask that question and be serious after, as merely one example, arab spring?

chris christie claims to be christian, and he's been very hostile to dissent. erdogan's hostility to journalism doesn't seem to have anything to do with his religion.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2014, 02:09:58 PM
I thought she was asking a question? Now she was speaking truth to power? :unsure:

It was a question loaded with truth and speaking to powerness.  Or something.