Erdogan tells female journalist to "know her place"

Started by Syt, August 08, 2014, 12:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

TLDR: A turkish journalist asked a presidential candidate whether Muslim societies are capable of questioning auhtority. Erdogan calls her a "militant disguised as journalist", that she insulted Islam and all Muslims and that she should "know her place." (Question answered?)

The OSCE has condemned his tirade.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/know-your-place-you-shameless-militant-turkish-prime-minister-tells-female-journalist-9656896.html

Quote'Know your place you shameless militant,' Turkish Prime Minister tells female journalist

Turkey's Prime Minister has called a prominent female journalist a "shameless militant woman" who should "know her place".

Recep Tayyip Erdogan lashed out at Amberin Zaman, the Turkish correspondent for The Economist, on Thursday while speaking at an election campaign rally.

Remarks she had made while interviewing the opposition leader, Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, on television the previous day had been condemned as "insulting to Islam and Muslims" by pro-Government supporters on social media.

She had asked Mr Kılıçdaroğlu whether a "Muslim society is able to question" the authorities.

Mr Erdogan was speaking to a crowd of supporters in Malatya, southern Turkey, when he made the comments reported by Today's Zaman.

He called Ms Zaman a "shameless militant woman disguised under the name of a journalist".

"Know your place," Erdoğan added. "They gave you a pen and you are writing a column in a newspaper.

"And then they invite you to a TV channel owned by Doğan media group and you insult at a society of 99 per cent Muslims."

Doğan Holding is one of Turkey's largest conglomerates and Mr Erdogan is in a long-standing feud with its proprietor, Aydin Dogan.

The Prime Minister has denounced "made-up news" about Government corruption in the group's papers, while Mr Dogan claims a huge fine over alleged tax irregularities against his firm was politically motivated.

"Mr Erodgan came to power using democracy. He is a product of democracy, but he can accept democracy only for himself," he told the Wall Street Journal.

"He cannot accept side components of democracy such as free media."

The Economist defended Ms Zaman, who has been the magazine's Turkish correspondent for 15 years, in a statement on Thursday.

Calling her "widely respected", it said the publication stood firmly by her and her reporting.

"The intimidation of journalists has no place in a democracy," it added.

"Under Mr Erdogan, Turkey has become an increasingly difficult place for independent journalism.

"Freedom House, a New York based media watchdog, recently downgraded the country from 'partially free' to 'not free'."

As well as a crackdown on journalists and investigative reporting, campaigners in Turkey are concerned about a regression with women's rights.

The Deputy Prime Minister, Bülent Arınç said women "should not laugh in public" in a speech on "moral corruption" last month.

Turkey also came under international criticism for attempts to block Twitter and YouTube earlier this year.

There have been waves of anti-government protests in Taksim Square in Istanbul and a teenage boy died earlier this year after being hit in the head with a tear gas canister fired by riot police.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, Erdogan is expected to win the presidential election on Sunday, and all signs point to the AKP strengthening the office, giving it more powers and authority, transitioning it from the previous function of mostly being a figurehead.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Was he going for irony?  Because that was hilarious.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Lol, derfetus just discovered a new insult for uppity sluts

SHAMELESS MILITANT PILLS

garbon

Do they have anywhere her actual question? The summarized bit seems like an odd question.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

One big change for this election is that for the first time Turks living abroad can vote without having to travel to Turkey. It's estimated that this will can make up 5% of the vote. The majority of Turks abroad are Erdogan supporters.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 08, 2014, 12:05:27 PM
Lol, derfetus just discovered a new insult for uppity sluts

SHAMELESS MILITANT PILLS

Not sure if I'll add it to my portfolio, but i'll give it a trial run for a couple weeks to see how it plays.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2014, 12:06:44 PM
Do they have anywhere her actual question? The summarized bit seems like an odd question.

One outlet says that she "had expressed the opinion that Justice and Development Party (AK Party) voters are not critical or questioning", whereas most present it as:

"She had asked the main opposition leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu in the debate whether any Muslim society was capable of challenging its authorities."

Even so, in terms of press freedom Turkey currently ranks ca. rank 154.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2014, 12:03:11 PM
Was he going for irony?  Because that was hilarious.

No kidding, she got a pretty clear answer to that question.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Ah yes, Turkey continues to go in such a great direction... for an authoritarian regime in the making.  <_<

LaCroix

the "know your place" comment seems to be referring to her journalistic integrity, that she should be acting like a journalist rather than pushing an agenda

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on August 08, 2014, 12:46:38 PM
the "know your place" comment seems to be referring to her journalistic integrity, that she should be acting like a journalist rather than pushing an agenda

I have to say that thus far (and thanks Syt for that added bit), I can't join the outraged crowd. Neither version of the question sounds like an honest question - but yeah just political rhetoric.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Yeah journalists shouldn't be asking questions about repression of political dissent, they should just shut up and spit out verbatim whatever pabulum drools out the mouths of the political masters.

What nonsense is that?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Follow up story:
http://www.todayszaman.com/latest-news_hurriyet-editor-in-chief-resigns-a-day-after-pm-targets-dogan-media_354978.html

QuoteHürriyet daily Editor-in-Chief Enis Berberoğlu resigned from his post on Friday, one day after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan targeted the Doğan Media Group, which includes the Hürriyet daily, in his rally on Thursday.

. . .. Berberoğlu's resignation came one day after Erdoğan harshly criticized the Doğan media group during his Thursday rally.

According to Internet news site Rotahaber, Berberoğlu was actually removed from his post by the daily's management, adding that the Doğan media group removed Berberoğlu after a request from Prime Minister Erdoğan. 

Rotahaber reported that the Doğan media group's chief executive, Mehmet Ali Yalçındağ, had  . . .had criticized Berberoğlu for allocating a lot of space to reports about main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) and opposition presidential candidate Ekmeleddin İhsanoğlu.
Yalçındağ allegedly told Berberoğlu: "We as businessmen will be damaged. Mr. Tayyip will receive 54 percent of the vote [in the presidential election]. We will be in trouble." On Friday, the Doğan media group told Berberoğlu that they no longer wanted to work with him, claimed the Rotahaber report, adding that Yalçınoğlu reportedly said: "We could not turn down the prime minister's request. I had to take this decision [to fire Berberoğlu]." 

Oh yeah, nothing to see here, just move along . . .
--Joan Robinson