News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on March 03, 2022, 05:10:13 PMSo the question is really, how tough is it just to get enough infantry in place to attack the column period, with whatever weapons infantry carries?

Right.  And it does seem like there's good tree and building cover in that part of Ukraine.

If they're all stacked up on one road then give them the Bridge Too Far treatment.

The Brain

My guess is that there is some of that going on. But if they don't manage to bring significant infantry forces to bear on the column it may be better use of what you have to have them observe, call in strikes, evaluate strikes etc.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Obviously I'm not an expert in military matters, but it seems like long-ass convoys like that is not what you attack with shoulder-fired weapons.  I imagine the return fire will kill anything within 100 meters of your general location.  From what I've seen, shoulder-fired weapons are used to attack stragglers, or at least targets where there aren't going to be enough surviving enemies nearby to prevent your escape.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on March 03, 2022, 05:49:53 PMObviously I'm not an expert in military matters, but it seems like long-ass convoys like that is not what you attack with shoulder-fired weapons.  I imagine the return fire will kill anything within 100 meters of your general location.  From what I've seen, shoulder-fired weapons are used to attack stragglers, or at least targets where there aren't going to be enough surviving enemies nearby to prevent your escape.

Yeah I think doing a lonely NLAW strike is fairly suicidal. You'd want enough forces in your ambush to dominate a section of the column, no matter how narrow and how briefly.

celedhring

I hope history rhymes and that column is this war's equivalent of the Baltic Fleet.

DGuller

Battle for the nuclear power plant is going as we speak, watching it on Twitch now.  By tomorrow Russians may be holding two Chernobyls.

Jacob

Looks like Denmark may well increase military spending to the target 2% of GDP in the not too distant future. There may also be a referendum to determine if we should drop the exception we have on EU defense.

Looks like there's a bit of momentum within Finland for joining NATO - seems like it's advanced a bit further than Sweden at this point?

The Brain

Yeah. Finland is a lot more no-nonsense than Sweden.

DGuller

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on March 03, 2022, 06:47:39 PMLive from your next nuclear disaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYUT36YGOh8.

It is phenomenally disheartening to see people shooting at each other in real time that irl could easily be friends and probably aren't that different.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on March 03, 2022, 07:01:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 03, 2022, 06:47:39 PMLive from your next nuclear disaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYUT36YGOh8.

I assume the armored vehicles you see are Russian?
That's my understanding, though you never really know.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on March 03, 2022, 07:07:32 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 03, 2022, 07:01:48 PM

I assume the armored vehicles you see are Russian?
That's my understanding, though you never really know.

Whoever they are they seem to like standing around under the lights.

DGuller

Brain, does it look like the power plant is on fire?  Or is it just regular steam?