News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

It's not an indefensible position.  Is this a war initiated by the will of the Russian people or has it been imposed on them?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2022, 03:14:27 PMIt's not an indefensible position.  Is this a war initiated by the will of the Russian people or has it been imposed on them?

The distinction didn't stop the allies from bombing the axis to smithereens...

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2022, 03:14:27 PMIt's not an indefensible position.  Is this a war initiated by the will of the Russian people or has it been imposed on them?

It may or may not be indefensible, but it is incorrect.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

citizen k

Quote from: Zoupa on August 09, 2022, 01:11:17 PMWell looks like a bunch of vatniks are running away from Crimea after Ukraine hit their base this morning...

DGuller

Why is the dude wearing an ushanka while on the beach?

DGuller

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2022, 05:49:50 PMSlur for a brainwashed aggressively nationalistic Russian.

Ah, like an unarmed orc.  ;)

What is the literal meaning?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2022, 05:56:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2022, 05:49:50 PMSlur for a brainwashed aggressively nationalistic Russian.

Ah, like an unarmed orc.  ;)

What is the literal meaning?
Vata is a Russian word for cotton wool, and vatnik is a puffy jacket filled with cotton wool.  It's almost as iconic an article of clothing as ushanka, although it's associated with lower classes these days.

grumbler

It is being waged with their active enthusiasm.  See:  widespread contemporary support for the idea that "the only good indian is a dead indian."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

I'm the first person appalled by the general apathy/passive callousness of the Russian public while their nation behaves so criminally, but a blanket visa ban seems a bit of a blunt instrument.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on August 12, 2022, 02:10:01 AMI'm the first person appalled by the general apathy/passive callousness of the Russian public while their nation behaves so criminally, but a blanket visa ban seems a bit of a blunt instrument.

I am ok to grant visas to Russians who are being prosecuted for taking part in anti-war protests for example. Rest can be complacent back home.

Josquius

Its the old question though isn't it. If you were a citizen of France during the Nazi occupation what would you do?
From the safety of our armchairs its easy enough for us to say oh hell yeah, la resistance all the way.
But in practice...well. We saw what happened in practice. Most people just want to keep their heads down and hope their families get through the whole thing intact.
From much of what I've read its similar in Russia. Interviews with Russians on the street more often than not seem to follow a pattern of glancing around nervously before saying they're not involved or just giving a government official headline.
Huge kudos to those who do stand up against the government.
And similarly a pox on the genuine fully signed up flag waving nationalist shitbags.
But I do get the impression that the vast majority of the population are in the standard head down and hope it blows over mode.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I don't know exactly how visas for Russians work, but granting visas for tourism seems like something you don't want to do at this point.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 11, 2022, 08:56:25 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 11, 2022, 08:09:22 AMAlso Scholz seems to be promoting a big gas pipeline project from the Iberian peninsula towards Northern Europe. He seems to have engaged already with France, Spain and Portugal about it

It will take years, however.

Part of the infrastructure is already built, as there was a previous project that got cancelled during construction. Apparently the Spain - France connection could be operative next year already.