Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

The UK is apparently training 10,000 Ukrainian recruits on British soil. Good show :cheers:

Sheilbh

I believe that policy was designed so other countries could join in. UK goal is to train 10,000 every three months but if other countries participated that number could scale up.

And worth flagging that I understand Australian and New Zealand troops are also participating - again I find the actions of Pacific allies (also including Japan and Korea) helping Europe how they can very striking and something to be reciprocated.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Agreed on the Pacific allies.

I haven't heard much about Korea's actions (which is probably just an indication of the sources I follow). What have they done?

Josquius

At a quick Google does not look great so curious to know.

https://www.army-technology.com/news/ukraine-military-assistance-south-korea/

On japan too I've not heard much beyond financial aid? - which is pretty typical for Japan. Though iirc it was pretty substantial.

Wonder if we can play them against each other 🤔
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on July 09, 2022, 03:34:38 PMAt a quick Google does not look great so curious to know.

https://www.army-technology.com/news/ukraine-military-assistance-south-korea/

On japan too I've not heard much beyond financial aid? - which is pretty typical for Japan. Though iirc it was pretty substantial.

Wonder if we can play them against each other 🤔

If they can help keeping NK and China honest they are doing their bit as far as I am concerned. It's Europe which should be ramping up war production. Ukrainian towns are burning so ours won't have to.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on July 09, 2022, 02:51:08 PMAgreed on the Pacific allies.

I haven't heard much about Korea's actions (which is probably just an indication of the sources I follow). What have they done?
As Jos says bit of aid (I think including non-lethal military kit), but with them I was thinking about how involved they've been in sanctions. I think they've both sanctioned more banks than Europe for example and just been step by step with Western efforts on sanctions. My understanding is Japan and Korea don't normally get involved in pushes for sanctions so it seems striking.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 10, 2022, 05:36:54 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 09, 2022, 02:51:08 PMAgreed on the Pacific allies.

As Jos says bit of aid (I think including non-lethal military kit), but with them I was thinking about how involved they've been in sanctions. I think they've both sanctioned more banks than Europe for example and just been step by step with Western efforts on sanctions. My understanding is Japan and Korea don't normally get involved in pushes for sanctions so it seems striking.

Well they could be next in line for agression from totaliarian states that might feel emboldened by a Putin 'success' over Ukraine.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Israel has been largely quiet in this conflict.Is it because they have pretty good ties with Russia? I know they tried to broker a deal early on, but nothing since.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

I would guess a big population with Russian origins and the topic of having to condemn territorial claims based on historical ties that the current inhabitants are contesting fiercely is not an easy PR situation to manage for Israel.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josephus on July 10, 2022, 06:02:59 AMIsrael has been largely quiet in this conflict.Is it because they have pretty good ties with Russia? I know they tried to broker a deal early on, but nothing since.
Also good relations with Ukraine. It's a bit like Turkey and Ukraine doesn't seem to be putting much pressure on either Israel or Turkey to choose - I assume because there's value in them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Looks like the impact of Russian gas on the European economy may be about to get worse: https://twitter.com/jnordvig/status/1546081280877527041

HVC

It was bound to happen. Europe picked a side (the right one) and this is the only chip Russia has. So either you cave or you keep finding other sources of energy.

And to take a moment to remember Cato, Schroeder persequi est.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Mick Ryan on Putin's evolving theory of victory: https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1546039360973185024

I particularly note:
Quote13/ Third, Russia now probably sees benefit in drawing out the war. The Ukrainians are now reliant on western munitions. And holding onto the southern regions, the Ukrainians are becoming increasingly dependent on international economic aid. Time is Putin's weapon.

14/ This this is where Putin sees opportunity. He believes that the short attention span, and the lack of strategic patience, that western nations have shown in places like Somalia, Iraq & Afghanistan will occur in Ukraine if he can hold out for the northern winter.

Tamas

I read Canada will send back those repaired turbines for Nordstream despite the sanctions. Lame.