Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on February 16, 2022, 07:56:55 PM
Yeah, that's the first I ever heard that particular line.

The leftists of Viper's imagination hold all kinds of strange opinions.

Grey Fox

Viper over dramas the multicultural leftist view to its extreme.

I agree with him on this, the left love for religions is at best disappointing and at worse self-defeating.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 16, 2022, 10:31:41 PM
I agree with him on this, the left love for religions is at best disappointing and at worse self-defeating.

Well it gets complicated because many cannot separate the religion from the people. Since many use criticizing the religion as a cover for racism, therefore everybody who criticizes the religion must be racist.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 16, 2022, 10:31:41 PM

I don't love religions in the slightest. I just think it's fine to let folks do their own thing when it doesn't harm anybody. If someone wants to wear a special hat or eat (or not eat) different food it really isn't a big deal; no need to be a dick about it.

And, yeah, some people are pretty bigoted and use religion as the most convenient vector for channeling abuse at the targets of their bigotry.

Tamas

There was mortar fire across rebel held territory with both sides accusing the other of stating it, to be precise the Russians are saying they shot back the Ukrainians saying they didn't shoot at all. Ukrainians also are displaying the kindergarten hit by the shells but to be honest it might have been hit years or weeks ago so I don't really care about it.

What's more concerning is that Russia is saying they are concerned about the escalating situation and the Ukrainian troop concentration. Which is of course hilarious but doesn't sound like they are trying to de-escalate.

Tamas

QuoteRussia threatens "military technical" response, insists no plans for invasion - newspaper
Russia has accused the US of ignoring its core demands on security and threatened "a military-technical" response in a letter to Washington issued on Thursday.

The letter has not been published, but Elena Chernenko of the Russian newspaper Kommersant has seen the 10-page document and has a full breakdown.

This is a key paragraph from the Russian response, cited in her report.

"In the absence of the readiness of the American side to agree on firm, legally-binding guarantees of our security from the United States and its allies, Russia will be forced to react, including by implementing measures of a military-technical character"

The Russian government restates it has no plans to invade Ukraine and describes US warnings of such an attack as "an attempt to put pressure and devalue Russia's proposals for security guarantees".

The US did not give a "constructive answer" to the "basic elements" of Russia's proposals, namely a veto on Ukraine and Georgia's Nato membership and removing troops from the eastern flanks of the alliance, the document states.

Valmy

Removal of troops? Are Poland and Finland and company supposed to disband their militaries or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on February 16, 2022, 07:49:43 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2022, 05:32:04 AM
Just heard a UK journalist talk about the flight to Ukraine. There were two counter-terrorism police at the gate who were checking people's IDs and asking why they were going to Ukraine etc.

She said she'd seen this before when flying to Syria and Iraq - and apparently the reason is basically the same. UK authorities are quite worried about neo-Nazis/radicalised far-right travelling to Ukraine for "weapons training" or just the opportunity to fight - in much the same way as violent Islamists/extremists tried to get to Syria or Iraq. It's pretty ghoulish to think there are people traveling and in Ukraine who are super-hyped that it'll be a war so they get to do some violence <_<
When the ISIS fighters were coming back, most leftists were telling us they should be welcomed back with open arms and not ostracized.  I wonder what they'll say about the neo nazis :)

I think you're getting confused with the real left wing view which was "its against international law to make someone stateless. They're our problem and we have to deal with them"
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2022, 09:39:15 AM
[snip the article]
Also some repulsive stuff on Russian TV about the Scholz-Putin press conference point on genocide.

It would not surprise me to see both pushed as potential pretexts: that there is a genocide of Russian-speakers in Donbass and that NATO/the West have failed to address Russia's fears.

From CNN a European defence official has apparently said that it seems like the "withdrawal" was actually a re-positioning of troops and the net effect is that there are 7,000 more troops on the border.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2022, 10:03:15 AM
Removal of troops? Are Poland and Finland and company supposed to disband their militaries or something?

Finland's not in NATO. Though they're re-evaluating their stance, I think.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

I'm assuming the MoD published this so if it happens on these lines they can point out it was pre-meditated? Another example of the interesting information war going on here:

Edit: Oh and UK, Poland and Ukraine have signed a "tri-lateral memorandum of cooperation" focusing on cybersecurity, energy security and countering disinformation with the UK and Poland also pledging to provide Ukraine "with support ... in the face of ongoing Russian aggression".
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Russia's army seems to be really vulnerable to artillery. I hope we gave/sold Ukraine lots of it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2022, 10:42:21 AM
I'm assuming the MoD published this so if it happens on these lines they can point out it was pre-meditated? Another example of the interesting information war going on here:

Looks like axes to me. Or is there only one possible axis?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

After that last Armenia-Azerbaijan War I hope Ukraine has lots of drones.