Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Legbiter on March 28, 2023, 02:39:33 PMJust getting it to run after sitting outdoors in Siberia for 70 years will be a minor miracle.  :wacko:

I see on wiki they've been used in active service by others like south ossetia until very recent decades so I guess they'll be getting those that were being maintained until fairly recently?

Semi related, though even older tanks, googling I get this thrown at me from a few years back.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/europe/russia-t-34-world-war-ii-tanks-laos-intl/index.html
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Incidentally the Ukrainians have confirmed they are now in possession of both German Leopard 2s and UK Challenger 2s. :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2023, 01:57:36 PMIncidentally the Ukrainians have confirmed they are now in possession of both German Leopard 2s and UK Challenger 2s. :cool:

I hope we're not setting ourselves up for a massive disappointment.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2023, 02:06:38 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2023, 01:57:36 PMIncidentally the Ukrainians have confirmed they are now in possession of both German Leopard 2s and UK Challenger 2s. :cool:

I hope we're not setting ourselves up for a massive disappointment.

It's a tricky one, the Ukrainians might be tempted to use them in a risky way to gain 'publicity' as opposed to letting them bed in with their crews/units and build a battlefield reputation gradually.

Crazy_Ivan80

surely they must have been briefed thoroughly on how to use them to the best longterm effect, foregoing publicity through dangerous stunts?
Expecially since this is a long war for their existence as a country

Admiral Yi

I'm not so much worried about the Ukrainians misusing them as us expecting them to roll to Moscow in a week.

celedhring

Do we expect the Ukrainians to roll into Moscow in a week, though? (yes, I know you're using hyperbole). I think best case scenario is another success like in the fall, but the war will still go on.

Josquius

I just hope they've been given a lot of spare parts.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Josquius on March 29, 2023, 04:22:21 PMI just hope they've been given a lot of spare parts.

That's one advantage of them fighting the Russians, they have an endless supply of soviet AFVs to pillage for spare parts.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 29, 2023, 04:12:48 PMDo we expect the Ukrainians to roll into Moscow in a week, though? (yes, I know you're using hyperbole). I think best case scenario is another success like in the fall, but the war will still go on.
I think that's more likely than not, but I think there's a not insignificant chance that Putin puts in a call to Xi to try and do a deal sooner than we expect.

On all of this my view is fundamentally that the Ukrainians have not yet disappointed when given the tools they're asking for. So give them what they want.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Ideally the new offensive, when it happens, manages to reach berdiansk and mariupol so the kerch bridge kan be put under permanent threat.
Assuming that's where the focus of the offensive will be

The Larch

A WSJ journalist has been arrested in Russia on espionage charges.

Legbiter

Quote from: The Larch on March 30, 2023, 04:05:40 AMA WSJ journalist has been arrested in Russia on espionage charges.

Hostage taking. He'll be swapped for some Russian in a US jail.

I'd reschedule any Russian holiday plans this century.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Turkey has just approved Finland's NATO membership. Now to just wait until after the Turkish election and dropping some  hints about earthquake reconstruction aid being helped by approving Sweden as well.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.