News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Encouraging show, presumably on Salisbury plain, hopefully these guns will be in action in Ukraine soon:

QuoteUkrainian soldiers fire an AS90 155mm self-propelled gun as they take part in a military exercise at a training camp in an undisclosed location in England on March 24, 2023 [File: Kin Cheung/AP Photo]

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on March 26, 2023, 07:43:45 PMThis old soviet drone the Ukranians have at times been using aren't exactly small, they look more like Vietnam era US RPV:

Honestly had no idea drones were a thing so long ago.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on March 26, 2023, 07:43:45 PMThis old soviet drone the Ukranians have at times been using aren't exactly small, they look more like Vietnam era US RPV:

"-How can you recognise Soviet microtechnology?
- It won't fit through the factory gate"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Josquius on March 27, 2023, 02:41:43 AMHonestly had no idea drones were a thing so long ago.

The usage of the name may be relatively recent, but remotely piloted and autonomous aircraft have been used in combat for some time, the Americans had a whole range of them in use in Vietnam, including iirc armed ones that carried bombs and missiles; may even have staged attacks on bridges?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on March 27, 2023, 07:14:00 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 27, 2023, 02:41:43 AMHonestly had no idea drones were a thing so long ago.

The usage of the name may be relatively recent, but remotely piloted and autonomous aircraft have been used in combat for some time, the Americans had a whole range of them in use in Vietnam, including iirc armed ones that carried bombs and missiles; may even have staged attacks on bridges?

The UK built drone in WW1.  None were used in combat except as "distractions," but they paved the way for true drones as aerial targets in the 1930s for the RN (and a vet of this work established the US company that built target drones for the USN and USA).  The Brits were the boffins on this stuff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on March 27, 2023, 07:54:18 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 27, 2023, 03:27:02 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 27, 2023, 03:05:47 AMReminds me of:

The Vs were more missiles than drones.
V-2 was a rocket.  V-1 was a drone.

I find the lines separating a suicide drone from a guided missile to be very fuzzy. Maybe there simply aren't any...

My uneducated guess would be that a drone can alter its mission in flight (i.e. loitering) while a cruise missile will just hit at what it was aimed when launched.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on March 27, 2023, 08:03:19 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 27, 2023, 07:14:00 AM

The UK built drone in WW1.  None were used in combat except as "distractions," but they paved the way for true drones as aerial targets in the 1930s for the RN (and a vet of this work established the US company that built target drones for the USN and USA).  The Brits were the boffins on this stuff.

I seem to remember reading that the Germans had boat drones remotely controlled from aircraft in WW1.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on March 27, 2023, 08:16:21 AMI find the lines separating a suicide drone from a guided missile to be very fuzzy. Maybe there simply aren't any...

My uneducated guess would be that a drone can alter its mission in flight (i.e. loitering) while a cruise missile will just hit at what it was aimed when launched.

All guided missiles are, in that sense, "suicide drones."  The latter term is a recent invention that really serves no purpose.

The difference between a drone and a missile is that drones are not ammunition and are expected to be reused.  Drones are usually dependent on receiving more commands in-flight than missiles, but many modern missiles can be controlled in flight, so controllability isn't really a distinguishing feature.

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Germany delivered 18 Leo 2A6 main battle tanks and 40 Marder infantry fighting vehicles now. However there seems to be no initiatives to actually build more to deliver. Not sure why not. Germany alone could probably outproduce Russia if it really wanted to...

Admiral Yi

In addition to the V missiles the Germans used remotely piloted flying bombs to attack Allied shipping off Italy.

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on March 27, 2023, 11:55:07 AMGermany delivered 18 Leo 2A6 main battle tanks and 40 Marder infantry fighting vehicles now. However there seems to be no initiatives to actually build more to deliver. Not sure why not. Germany alone could probably outproduce Russia if it really wanted to...

Study the data from Ukraine to inform the design of leopard 3?
██████
██████
██████