News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best Track 1, Side 1s?

Started by Queequeg, August 06, 2014, 12:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2014, 01:32:45 AM
"More Than A Feeling" Boston: Eponymous.

Double points for inspiring the riff in Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on August 08, 2014, 08:06:49 PM
I've sampled a couple of songs recommended here. 

I think our music tastes are...different  :ph34r:
Give us a few examples of your favorite songs so we can listen to them too. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 08, 2014, 12:03:02 PM
I can remember the Saturday I walked into Camelot Music at the mall with my allowance and bought that album.

:fasttimesatholyshitiamold:
Given where I grew up, that song (and album) got nonstop airplay when it came out.  I never got tired of Hall and Oates though. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

That's all.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on August 09, 2014, 02:15:30 AM
Have you made up your mind on whether I am an old American lady, or Chinese Empress Dowager of the Animetards?   :P

Depends on whether or not you're wearing curlers at the time.

Savonarola

Quote from: Monoriu on August 08, 2014, 08:06:49 PM
I've sampled a couple of songs recommended here. 

I think our music tastes are...different  :ph34r:

Why I am just shocked that you aren't a fan of Sonic Youth and the Grateful Dead.   ;)

Here's one for you Mono (though it's not a first song):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd9HrO1b7pk

This one was the spotlight dance at CB and my wedding.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Queequeg

Anyone mentioned Only Shallow by My Bloody Valentine or I Wanna Be Adored by Stone Roses yet?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Liep

Quote from: Queequeg on August 09, 2014, 09:36:55 AM
Anyone mentioned Only Shallow by My Bloody Valentine or I Wanna Be Adored by Stone Roses yet?

I had MBV but Stone Roses I forgot and should definitely be mentioned.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

"Love Kills" Freddy Mercury Metropolis
"Silent Running" Mike + The Mechanics, Mike + The Mechanics
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on August 09, 2014, 10:33:44 AM

Meh, I love that album but does an opening track like I Wanna Be Adored actually qualify when a 4 1/2 minute song is 3 minutes' worth of fade in?

Norgy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 09, 2014, 12:12:52 AM
Quote from: Norgy on August 08, 2014, 08:26:27 PM
The second best is "Alive" by Pearl Jam.

Not under consideration in this thread. Track 1 is "Once". :contract:

Not on the single.  :P

Norgy

As much as I liked The Stone Roses back in the day, hearing them live destroyed much of that.  :ph34r:

Liep

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2014, 01:46:28 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 09, 2014, 10:33:44 AM

Meh, I love that album but does an opening track like I Wanna Be Adored actually qualify when a 4 1/2 minute song is 3 minutes' worth of fade in?

The bass starts much earlier and is delicious and the riff at 1 1/2. I think it does qualify.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I'll also throw in Pantera's Cowboys From Hell.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Oh, I remembered one more: Hells Bells on AC/DC's "Back in Black".

Back in its day, it was rather awesome.