Main Menu

New York City is America's unhappiest town

Started by garbon, July 25, 2014, 04:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2014, 09:15:25 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 28, 2014, 09:11:49 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2014, 02:15:43 AM
I lived on 2,5k a month when I was a student there, would rather not do it again though.

That makes no sense to the "move-somewhere-with-no-money-and-no-job-prospects" crowd.

Like I did?

Save it, Cunty McCuntstanford.  I don't need your twinkletoed bullshit.

garbon

If you do it and you're still unhappy, then you know that the problem is you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2014, 10:36:19 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2014, 09:26:06 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 28, 2014, 09:11:49 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2014, 02:15:43 AM
I lived on 2,5k a month when I was a student there, would rather not do it again though.

That makes no sense to the "move-somewhere-with-no-money-and-no-job-prospects" crowd.

It is truly a wonder that this continent ever got populated.

The Pilgrims didn't pay 2000$/month for a cockroach infested basement in Brooklyn, I'm sure.

Why would someone do that? I don't pay that much (yet) and live in a nice above ground apartment in the village.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

When I first graduated college and moved to Atlanta, I got a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment in a decent area of town that now rents for $1750 a month (I just checked what it is currently going for). If garbon pays less than $2k, and really doesn't need a car, that really highlights that I should have been in NYC (I much rather would have had a 1 bedroom in NYC than a 2 bedroom in Atlanta--even if I did install in the 2nd bedroom a pool table and dart board and a generally sweet setup).

Plus you get paid more in NYC.

Fuck, opportunity lost.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2014, 11:05:15 AM
Why would someone do that? I don't pay that much (yet) and live in a nice above ground apartment in the village.

Wait you have an apartment in the village for less than $2000 a month?

I knew 'Friends' was a documentary!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

The Pilgrims didn't pay 2000$/month for a cockroach infested basement in Brooklyn, I'm sure.

True, but I've picked up a vibe from CdM and Ide that indicates they may not be willing to make a dangerous multi month journey on a rickety rat infested boat in order to become farmers in a land where they will have to build their own houses and the natives sometimes try to kill them.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2014, 11:18:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2014, 11:05:15 AM

Wait you have an apartment in the village for less than $2000 a month?

I knew 'Friends' was a documentary!

My apartment is nowhere near that size but yes, I've a 1 bedroom in the village. With my annual rent increase it will soon be that amount, but it wasn't when I got it 3 years ago.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2014, 11:19:46 AM

True, but I've picked up a vibe from CdM and Ide that indicates they may not be willing to make a dangerous multi month journey on a rickety rat infested boat in order to become farmers in a land where they will have to build their own houses and the natives sometimes try to kill them.

Fortunately you will often die in the first winter and won't have to do all that hard work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2014, 11:19:46 AM

The vast majority of immigrants didn't come over in those conditions. It only takes a few. You know Tim's gonna sign up for the first Mars colony.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 28, 2014, 11:32:50 AM
The vast majority of immigrants didn't come over in those conditions. It only takes a few. You know Tim's gonna sign up for the first Mars colony.

I didn't bring in the Pilgrim comparison, but the general trend is true. For those of us who have ancestors that were here 100+ years ago and didn't come over in bondage, our ancestors took a chance in a foreign land that involved a lot more risk than moving to NYC today.

Also, for all the abuse he gets, Tim has more than a little of that pioneer spirit in him. He needed a summer job, so he took a gig as a door to door salesman in the deep south. Now he has moved to korea to spread knowledge of our language and customs to a foreign people.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2014, 11:16:48 AM
When I first graduated college and moved to Atlanta, I got a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment in a decent area of town that now rents for $1750 a month (I just checked what it is currently going for). If garbon pays less than $2k, and really doesn't need a car, that really highlights that I should have been in NYC (I much rather would have had a 1 bedroom in NYC than a 2 bedroom in Atlanta--even if I did install in the 2nd bedroom a pool table and dart board and a generally sweet setup).

You want 1 bedroom in NYC for $1750 a month?  :hmm:  I guess if you're really not particular about a neighborhood, you may find something like this.  For comparison, my previous studio apartment in Jersey Fucking City was nearing that amount towards the end of my stay there.

Valmy

I don't know man.  People were moving west in this country being attacked by Natives and building their own homes for a good long time.  Heck my great grandfather built his house when he stole land from the Natives during the Oklahoma land run.  Fortunately the Natives were good and pacified by then.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2014, 12:58:53 PM

I don't know man.  People were moving west in this country being attacked by Natives and building their own homes for a good long time.  Heck my great grandfather built his house when he stole land from the Natives during the Oklahoma land run.  Fortunately the Natives were good and pacified by then.

The geographic center of population in 1940 was still in Indiana. This is because most people were coming over for jobs in the settled east, not to be pioneers in Indian territory.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

3 points of consideration: 1) I wouldn't need a car. Take out my average car costs and add those in. 2) I'd make a lot more money. 3) I'd rather pay a bit more to live in NYC than be in Atlanta.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 28, 2014, 12:50:37 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2014, 11:16:48 AM

You want 1 bedroom in NYC for $1750 a month?  :hmm:  I guess if you're really not particular about a neighborhood, you may find something like this.  For comparison, my previous studio apartment in Jersey Fucking City was nearing that amount towards the end of my stay there.

Well my 1 bedroom was about that when I first got it. I was going to then make a claim about neighborhood but just saw this!

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-2-us-marshals-and-1-cop-shot-in-new-york-city-2014-7