News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

HIPSTERS!

Started by Eddie Teach, July 24, 2014, 08:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you a hipster?

"Hipsters" are phonies/too mainstream/etc (Yes)
1 (2.3%)
Yes
2 (4.5%)
Yes, but I'll never admit it
1 (2.3%)
No, but people say I am
4 (9.1%)
No
24 (54.5%)
"HIPSTERS!" /screams like the guy in Revenge of the Nerds
7 (15.9%)
Jaron's a hipster
4 (9.1%)
Something else because none of these fit except option 3
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Admiral Yi

The Larch

No mention of fixie bikes, low cut shirts or bushy beards in that checklist? Fails at superficiality.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on July 26, 2014, 05:14:07 AM
No mention of fixie bikes, low cut shirts or bushy beards in that checklist? Fails at superficiality.  :P

:secret: huge retro glasses as well.  :contract:

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on July 26, 2014, 05:14:07 AM

I tick one out of three of that, and two when I'm too much of a lazyarse to trim my beard :p. I'm too hairy to do low cut shirts.

The Larch

Relevant for the London variant of hipsters. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I

Sheilbh

I'm not a hipster. But having said that I was describing them as hipsters way before anyone else - due to my exposure to US people :blush:

I have some similar tastes. I love coffee, craft beer and the Tour de France. I've read books on football tactics and have a decent collection of often obscure music (in my case though, on CD and of soul). I had a beard for most of the last year and my current address is Peckham, my last one was around Shoreditch. I love a silent movie screening. And I do shop in charity shops and I've danced with a drag queen in Dalston Superstore (home of the hipster gays). So there's, I'd say, a bit of an overlap.

But I don't like the snobbishness that I associate with many hipsters and hipsterishness. There's an exclusivity I like to think I don't do. I like all of these things and I want and hope that other people like them too. I always find with people I consider to be 'hip' a sort of desire to exclude people. Often the coffee geekiness isn't just about it's own tastiness, but reminds me of wine snobs.

Also, tragically, I shop in charity shops unironically :blush:

Edit: Also no-one has ever or, I think, would ever call me a hipster. I just don't look the part. I don't know if I could even if I tried. I'd always look like a fake hipster :bleeding:

God I've just realised my niche DVD collections (Giallo, kitchen sink drama, Ealing comedies) might be hipster-y :o :bleeding: :blush:

Fuck I love synths too! Although when I put Pet Shop Boys on at a hipstery party noone's happy <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Regarding music, is enjoying the brief career of Jobriath hipstery? :hmm:

Actually, just knowing who Jobriath was is probably hipstery. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2014, 10:27:11 PM
Somebody here called me a proto-hipster once, I think it was Tonitrus.  :mad: I don't consider it hipsterism if I've been doing something for over 20 years.

I don't think that was me...

Sheilbh

As with most of my tastes I think it's in that grey area between hipsters and Morrissey :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2014, 08:06:31 PM
As with most of my tastes I think it's in that grey area between hipsters and Morrissey :lol:

Oh God, that's even worse. :weep:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Don't be knocking Morrissey.  HE UNDERSTANDS.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 26, 2014, 09:04:00 PM
Don't be knocking Morrissey.  HE UNDERSTANDS.
figures you'd be a Morrissey fan :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Since when loving Le Tour de France is hipster?  :blink:

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 27, 2014, 06:55:42 AM
Since when loving Le Tour de France is hipster?  :blink:

Yeah, how?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

If you're American.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?