News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

HIPSTERS!

Started by Eddie Teach, July 24, 2014, 08:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you a hipster?

"Hipsters" are phonies/too mainstream/etc (Yes)
1 (2.3%)
Yes
2 (4.5%)
Yes, but I'll never admit it
1 (2.3%)
No, but people say I am
4 (9.1%)
No
24 (54.5%)
"HIPSTERS!" /screams like the guy in Revenge of the Nerds
7 (15.9%)
Jaron's a hipster
4 (9.1%)
Something else because none of these fit except option 3
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pedrito

Although I score 6 on Mono's list, I'm definitely not a hipster.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

celedhring

I'm NOT a hipster, but I'll fill that checklist.

primarily consisting of white millennials - I was 21 in 2000, so I guess it's "almost".

living in urban areas - Yes, Barcelona

mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior - I haven't lived in the same city for 4 years straight since 2004, including a 4 year stint in NYC. I'm having bagels for breakfast and will make cous-cous for lunch. Tonight I'm attending a concert from a foreign band and tomorrow I'm attending a Catalan folk festival where some friends play. Oh fuck.

is broadly associated with indie and alternative music - I love lots of music, from opera to 70s rock. But nowadays I admit I'm a lot into indie since mainstream music is mostly shit. Wait, did I just say that? Oh crap...

a varied non-mainstream fashion sensibility (including vintage and thrift store-bought clothes) - I buy my clothes as cheap as possible, and that includes thrift stores indeed. And scarves. This isn't going well, isn't it?

generally third party independent political views - I haven't voted a mainstream party since 2004.

organic and artisanal foods - Yes. My mother is a tree-hugger and programmed me with a distaste for processed and non-organic foods.

and alternative lifestyles - I don't have an office job (I'm a freelancer) so my life is chaos and improvisation, which some people get to call "freedom". Does that count?

typically described as affluent or middle class - I would be a pauper in the US, but I'm middle class over here.

young Bohemians - I'm supposedly an artist, but I'm not young, only at hearth

who reside in gentrifying neighborhoods - Yes, I reside in Barcelona's premier hipsterish neighborhood actually... Fuck.

I'm really NOT a hipster. Fuck hipsters.

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on July 24, 2014, 11:47:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2014, 10:27:11 PM
Somebody here called me a proto-hipster once, I think it was Tonitrus.  :mad: I don't consider it hipsterism if I've been doing something for over 20 years.
i never get any credit :( it's because of your typewriter :lol:

Oh God, I forgot about that shit.  Thank you for returning that to our attention.  Get it?  Return.  Ha-ha.  Christ.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2014, 10:27:11 PM
Somebody here called me a proto-hipster once, I think it was Tonitrus.  :mad: I don't consider it hipsterism if I've been doing something for over 20 years.
Agreed.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Duque de Bragança

I hate hipsters who are but a subset of the bobo, THE class enemy.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

I am glad hipsters are around, they add to the local color.  But hipster I am not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

i don't like to go muddin or fishin or huntin or muskrat skinnin, and i'm a liberal atheist. so, maybe i'm a north dakota hipster  :Canuck:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on July 25, 2014, 12:55:52 PM
i don't like to go muddin or fishin or huntin or muskrat skinnin, and i'm a liberal atheist. so, maybe i'm a north dakota hipster  :Canuck:

There are other things to do in North Dakota?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2014, 08:57:42 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 24, 2014, 08:52:47 PM
I do have third party independent political views.

I have NASDP views

I have NASDAQ views
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 25, 2014, 12:57:49 PMThere are other things to do in North Dakota?  :huh:

sure! there are four great metropolises, two in the east and two in the west. each has at least a movie theater, library, and mall!

also:

Malthus

I was proclaiming I wasn't a hipster *before* that was cool.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

FunkMonk

Quoteprimarily consisting of white millennials
- fuck no I hate white peeple

Quoteliving in urban areas
- yes

Quotemutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior
- what the fuck does this mean???

Quoteis broadly associated with indie and alternative music
- I like music. I also like sex and breathing.

Quotea varied non-mainstream fashion sensibility (including vintage and thrift store-bought clothes)
- I wear clothes that fit and make it so I don't look like I woke up in a dumpster

Quotegenerally third party independent political views
- Third parties are for losers.

Quoteorganic and artisanal foods
- No that shit is nasty.

Quoteand alternative lifestyles
- I don't know what this means? Someone tell me what this means????

Quotetypically described as affluent or middle class
- I'm middle class and unlikely to make it further than that because I'm American.

Quoteyoung Bohemians
- I'm no Hitler.

Quotewho reside in gentrifying neighborhoods
- Nope, but I might be moving to one...?

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Man what is up with all the tee totaling in Connecticut?  I mean Utah I get but Connecticut? 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 25, 2014, 01:14:01 PM
- fuck no I hate white peeple

This is because of Mack Brown isn't it?