News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

HIPSTERS!

Started by Eddie Teach, July 24, 2014, 08:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you a hipster?

"Hipsters" are phonies/too mainstream/etc (Yes)
1 (2.3%)
Yes
2 (4.5%)
Yes, but I'll never admit it
1 (2.3%)
No, but people say I am
4 (9.1%)
No
24 (54.5%)
"HIPSTERS!" /screams like the guy in Revenge of the Nerds
7 (15.9%)
Jaron's a hipster
4 (9.1%)
Something else because none of these fit except option 3
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PRC

Ideologue

Probably.  I don't know.  I don't have enough social contact to be a hipster.  I think I'm just a nerd.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

According to wikipedia -

QuoteHipster is a term popularly used to denote an international subculture primarily consisting of white millennials living in urban areas.[1][2] The subculture has been described as a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior"[3] and is broadly associated with indie and alternative music, a varied non-mainstream fashion sensibility (including vintage and thrift store-bought clothes), generally third party independent political views, organic and artisanal foods, and alternative lifestyles.[4][5][6] Hipsters are typically described as affluent or middle class young Bohemians who reside in gentrifying neighborhoods.[7][8]

primarily consisting of white millennials - no

living in urban areas - yes

mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior - probably not

is broadly associated with indie and alternative music - not sure if my music taste is alternative, but my guess is not.

a varied non-mainstream fashion sensibility (including vintage and thrift store-bought clothes) - hell yes, especially the thrift store-bought clothes part

generally third party independent political views - kinda yes

organic and artisanal foods - yes

and alternative lifestyles - if staying home all day watching anime and playing computer games is an alternative lifestyle, then yes.

typically described as affluent or middle class - no way.

young Bohemians - I know where Bohemia is, not I don't think I should interpret the word in a traditional geographic sense.  My guess is no.

who reside in gentrifying neighborhoods - not really.

I have 5 yes out of 11.  So, no, I am probably not a hipster. 

Ideologue

I do have third party independent political views.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on July 24, 2014, 08:52:47 PM
I do have third party independent political views.

I have NASDP views
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Well, as long as we can agree on Lithuania and Finland, I don't see why we have to be aggressive toward each other.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on July 24, 2014, 09:00:29 PM
Well, as long as we can agree on Lithuania and Finland, I don't see why we have to be aggressive toward each other.

Plz send me raw materials.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

I got 6 on Mono's list.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

People do sometimes say I am trying to be a hipster but I was into many things hipsters like before it became cool to like them.... Which yes, is a very hipster thing to say, but true. On the the hand I haven't stopped liking stuff because it became too mainstream
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I don't think I am.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Somebody here called me a proto-hipster once, I think it was Tonitrus.  :mad: I don't consider it hipsterism if I've been doing something for over 20 years.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2014, 10:27:11 PM
Somebody here called me a proto-hipster once, I think it was Tonitrus.  :mad: I don't consider it hipsterism if I've been doing something for over 20 years.
i never get any credit :( it's because of your typewriter :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

primarily consisting of white millennials - According to CdM, yes.  Though I was always called a Gen Xer growing up.

living in urban areas - No, not really.

mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior - I'm guessing no.

is broadly associated with indie and alternative music - That's kind of vague.  I'm partial to rock from the 1960's and 70's.

a varied non-mainstream fashion sensibility (including vintage and thrift store-bought clothes) - I bought my shoes at Wal-Mart and my closes come from a fat guy shop down by the lake.

generally third party independent political views - No.

organic and artisanal foods - No.

and alternative lifestyles - I suppose so, though the insane recluse lifestyle has always had adherents.

typically described as affluent or middle class - I don't even have job.

young Bohemians - No.

who reside in gentrifying neighborhoods - No.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017