News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Law School is a Joke.

Started by Faeelin, June 10, 2009, 06:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: Malthus on June 11, 2009, 11:12:24 AM
I don't know it personally, but I understand that it is one of the best schools in the country.

You'd think so, but then you meet the students.

Josquius

4.0 I take it is the highest under whatever system this is? Good going. Theres a large amount down to luck of course in such things and of course getting the teachers onside but still, impressive.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Faeelin on June 11, 2009, 11:15:45 AM

Again my experience going through law school was very different. I was surprised at how ferociously smart the other students were. In undergraduate I was used to being the smart guy in the room - in law school, that wasn't true at all.

Also, the way law school exams were organized, it was practically impossible to get a straight A score across the board.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

BuddhaRhubarb

Congrats. That's great. I never had a semester like that. But then I never tried very hard, either. Animal House had far too big an influence on my generation of University Freshmen.
:p

KRonn

Anyhow, congrats on doing well. Keep it up!

Grey Fox

So I take you didn't read much of Languish in the past 9 months??
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

You must have worked really hard. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

That's what you get for choosing law over proper degrees in engineering or pure sciences. ;)

Faeelin

Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2009, 12:23:03 PM
That's what you get for choosing law over proper degrees in engineering or pure sciences. ;)

Hah. I almost made the misake of going for a PhD in biology, and spent the summer of my junoior year working at a lab. Needless to say, I felt kinda bad about ditching them.

Quote from: Malthus on June 11, 2009, 11:21:50 AM
Again my experience going through law school was very different. I was surprised at how ferociously smart the other students were. In undergraduate I was used to being the smart guy in the room - in law school, that wasn't true at all.

Also, the way law school exams were organized, it was practically impossible to get a straight A score across the board.

I was mostly joking; most of the people here at pretty bright with some that are pretty clearly geniuses. But there's also a large fraboyish element, often involving those who came from Ivy League schools. My experience thus far has been that the smarter students are the ones who went to state schools, which I find amusing.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on June 11, 2009, 11:21:50 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on June 11, 2009, 11:15:45 AM

Well I certainly did not get a 4.0 average in law school, so I'm impressed Faeelin. 

But then again nobody got straight As at my school.  My law school ran on a B average curve and I felt damn proud of the handful of As that I did receive.    I did manage a full B+ average one year and that was good enough for me to be in the Dean's List (top 10%).  I don't think the gold medallist got straight As.

I found law school to bery quite easy, with 3 weeks of hell at exam time.  Coming from a science degree I found it amazing how much less work was expected of us.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Faeelin

Quote from: Barrister on June 11, 2009, 01:01:00 PM
But then again nobody got straight As at my school.  My law school ran on a B average curve and I felt damn proud of the handful of As that I did receive.    I did manage a full B+ average one year and that was good enough for me to be in the Dean's List (top 10%).  I don't think the gold medallist got straight As.

I found law school to bery quite easy, with 3 weeks of hell at exam time.  Coming from a science degree I found it amazing how much less work was expected of us.

I have to agree with you about the science degree, actually. You can really tell who was a humanity's major before coming to law school, and it pleases me a bit.  :yeah:

There's been a bit of grade inflation nationwide since then, I think; NYU now shoots for the 50th percentile to be a mix of B+s and Bs.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 11, 2009, 01:01:00 PM
Well I certainly did not get a 4.0 average in law school, so I'm impressed Faeelin. 

[predictable] Yeah but you went to U of M, where they hand out diplomas as the prize from a box of cracker jacks. [/predictable]  ;)

U of T ran on a C+ curve average. I was very happy to get a few A's - it was considered a significant feat to get even one - and my good B average sufficed to get me a job at our firm.

An A average would be very, very unusual indeed - the few people capable of that would probably have clerked for the Supreme Court.

Disagree on the notion that law school was less work than sciences. I myself did not do hard sciences, but I certainly knew people who did and later went to law school, and their opinion was pretty unanimously otherwise.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Faeelin on June 11, 2009, 01:00:35 PM

I was mostly joking; most of the people here at pretty bright with some that are pretty clearly geniuses. But there's also a large fraboyish element, often involving those who came from Ivy League schools. My experience thus far has been that the smarter students are the ones who went to state schools, which I find amusing.

No frat types I can remember at U of T - gotta ask BB about that: he was a "frat boy".  :D

Scipio

I intuit that you are attending Fordham.

But congrats anyway.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt