News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

USA: The Leader of the Unfree World

Started by Syt, July 24, 2014, 01:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2014, 06:03:01 AM
I really hate seeing this bullshit use of poor statistics constantly brought up over and over.

Agreed.  I read that as more likely that the same people received stop-and-frisk searches repeatedly, which is a whole other problem.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2014, 08:42:23 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2014, 08:38:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2014, 08:14:11 AM
It's all about the War on Drugs.

Illicit drugs kill people.  From production to trafficking to use.

Yeah the streets around here are covered with the rotting corpses of dead stoners.

I wish.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on July 24, 2014, 08:34:43 AM
That said, we really do have a problem, and to an extent it perpetuates itself because there are so few prohibitions on treating ex-cons as pariahs in the economy.  Well, what alternatives does that leave them?  It's hard to see how we find a solution, though.  It's hard enough these days to find a politician that will be soft on crime;  it's even harder to find his replacement once he's voted out of office because some cute white girl got kidnapped and murdered by the guy that was released due to his policies.

So much this.  At our local college, business law and business management classes are heavily stocked by inmates taking classes toward setting up (I know I'm going to catch a raft of shit for generalizing here) landscaping businesses.  Parolees in NJ generally have to have employment prospects as a condition for parole, but employers won't touch them, so they usually form a micro-corporation for landscaping with family members to satisfy the requirement.

Inmates are also heavily taken advantage of when it comes to the workplace.  When I was working telemarketing, we found out after a while that my employer was running what bordered on an employment scam.  While the products and sales techniques were in grey enough areas to be considered legal for general purposes, what they were doing was deliberately hiring inmates and firing them a few weeks later to claim an exorbitant amount of tax credits offered by the state.  So employers will take inmates/parolees for the money, but there's very little incentive to actually give them meaningful employment.
Experience bij!

Syt

Do convictions and prison terms ever disappear from your record in the U.S.?

In Germany, there's terms, depending on the severity of the crime for when items get wiped off your slate and you can go back to calling yourself "not previously convicted."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Otto, it appears that violent crime is falling everywhere in the Western World.  It also seems that nobody has a particularly good explanation for why this is occuring across all Western societies.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2014, 09:17:18 AM
Otto, it appears that violent crime is falling everywhere in the Western World.  It also seems that nobody has a particularly good explanation for why this is occuring across all Western societies.

This.

Someone made a case that the key was lower levels of lead ingested by kids. I'm not convinced, I think probably it is a number of different factors.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on July 24, 2014, 09:15:50 AM
Do convictions and prison terms ever disappear from your record in the U.S.?

In Germany, there's terms, depending on the severity of the crime for when items get wiped off your slate and you can go back to calling yourself "not previously convicted."

Nothing centralized.  There are regulations on how long an applicant can be required to self-report certain types of convictions, but I'm not even sure if those are codified in law or just de facto HR standards.  There is always the option of expungement, which is not necessarily guaranteed and not automatic (the convict has to request the expungement), but I have no idea what judges' criteria are on granting or denying expungement or how centralized those criteria may be.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Malthus on July 24, 2014, 09:25:55 AM
This.

Someone made a case that the key was lower levels of lead ingested by kids. I'm not convinced, I think probably it is a number of different factors.

Agreed.  There are many ways in which quality of life has improved across the board within the past 100 years or so.  A general decrease in lead and other pollutants, a crackdown on child labor, increased availability of public education, etc.
Experience bij!

Zanza

Quote from: Malthus on July 24, 2014, 09:25:55 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2014, 09:17:18 AM

This.

The "Freakonomics" book made a case that it is due to the legalization of abortions, which I guess is not a popular position for US republicans...  :P

Ed Anger

I'd like to beat people with a tire iron who post "this".
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2014, 09:29:27 AM
I'd like to beat people with a tire iron who post "this".

This.

:P Someone was going to do it ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

frunk

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2014, 08:38:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2014, 08:14:11 AM
It's all about the War on Drugs.

Illicit drugs kill people.  From production to trafficking to use.

The first two only because they are illicit.  The third, the government should not be concerned about people who want to slowly poison themselves.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall